• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2018 4:13 am
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC

Bed Bath and Beyond Shipped from Manufacturer Ridiculous Shipping Routes

Just found this laughable. I ordered a few frying pans from Bed Bath and Beyond. They didn't have them in stock in Canada, so they shipped them from the manufacturer's warehouse in California. I'm in British Columbia. Obviously someone doesn't know geography. Because they shipped them, via ground, all the way to the other side of the continent in New York. Now they've been waiting at their facility in New York for two days with no movement. I'm left wondering when they will be shipped back to other side of the continent? And will it be via ground again? Not very efficient economically or environmentally.

I know that companies will often ship to global processing stations, but it makes no sense to have one on the edge of such a large continent... especially when you are shipping via ground. But I guess when you got cash to throw around, you don't need to come up with sensible solutions.

Below is a map of the package's route. Might be shipped via air from New York, but who knows.
Images
  • ship2.PNG
25 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1826 posts
681 upvotes
Victoria
One of the downsides of living in such a big country sadly...
Oct 14, 2014
267 posts
175 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Similar thing happened to me ordering a laptop from Lenovo some years back. I was in BC at the time as well, and the laptop shipped from China. It landed in Canada around Toronto, then was ground shipped from there to Vancouver...
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
I'm chatting with customer service. They're getting aggressive "We don't control immigration" and "I don't understand what you mean by west coast and east coast"... tried teaching a geography lesson, but it seems futile. She told me she'd transfer me to a manager... but now backing away from that promise saying I don't have a legitimate concern.... :(
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14160 posts
1007 upvotes
Regional distribution centers. It's cheaper to ship a lot of things to one place and go from there rather than every single thing along it's own route.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
It's not regional though. Having a distribution center on one side of a huge continent makes no sense, and it's cheaper to have either multiple or something more centrally located. If they flew everything to New York, I'd be a little less disgruntled. But I had to wait two weeks for it to arrive via ground.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5600 posts
3186 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TylerK wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 1:39 pm
I'm chatting with customer service. They're getting aggressive "We don't control immigration" and "I don't understand what you mean by west coast and east coast"... tried teaching a geography lesson, but it seems futile. She told me she'd transfer me to a manager... but now backing away from that promise saying I don't have a legitimate concern.... :(
So much said here :rolleyes:

I’ve actually met “educated” (University Graduates = BAs, MAs, PHDs) Americans who not only don’t know US Geography, they have no clue about Canada

I get they may not know where Eastern Ontario is, when I say where I live... and perhaps they’ve heard of Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver (rarely Ottawa, our National Capital), but they have no concept of WHERE they are in relation to their own country.

The old joke, my uncle lives in Winnipeg, maybe you know him... sadly stands up in too many situations
Jul 15, 2011
11 posts
5 upvotes
BURNABY
Had the exact same experience and located in BC too.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14160 posts
1007 upvotes
So there is a truck filled with this companies stock, some heading to Canada, some heading other places. For the stuff heading to Canada does it make sense for it to go to a central location (Mississauga) and distribute east and west from there, or does it make sense to go to the west coast and distribute all the way east from there? I think the disconnect is that the OP is thinking it's just his package on the truck, when it is likely both his package, along with product that is being distributed other places and stores since Bed bath and Beyond was out of stock.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2672 posts
640 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
My neighbour mailed me a card. Canada Post sent it all the way to the sorting centre then to me next day.

Let's not judge the shipping industry unless we have some experience in how it is managed.
Nov 18, 2015
887 posts
389 upvotes
trust me I worked a retail company and they did the same damn thing. throwing money around and not fixing anything with their shipping. they went bankrupt.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
I've actually managed shipping of medical supplies across Canada. If I ever let anything go from one side of a continent to another, and then back again, I would have to be answering questions from my boss. I do understand that it's not going to be direct, but sending a customer's order on a truck thousands of miles in the opposite direction is not efficient, anyway you slice it. It's laziness in not coming up with a more complex shipping solution (e.g. multiple regional distribution centers).

I will just Amazon next time.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
So end of business approaching today, and still no movement. Package has been in New York all week. Approaching 3 weeks since time of purchase. Should have just ordered from Amazon.ca. Lesson learned.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1111 posts
364 upvotes
London
TylerK wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 3:41 pm
So end of business approaching today, and still no movement. Package has been in New York all week. Approaching 3 weeks since time of purchase. Should have just ordered from Amazon.ca. Lesson learned.
the way there tracking is setup is weird. once it passes out of ny a new tracking number takes over and they wont email u the new number. if u contact customer service they should be able to provide it though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5600 posts
3186 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TylerK wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 10:04 pm
I've actually managed shipping of medical supplies across Canada. If I ever let anything go from one side of a continent to another, and then back again, I would have to be answering questions from my boss. I do understand that it's not going to be direct, but sending a customer's order on a truck thousands of miles in the opposite direction is not efficient, anyway you slice it. It's laziness in not coming up with a more complex shipping solution (e.g. multiple regional distribution centers).

I will just Amazon next time.
You are also missing one very important element

This is by the US POV an INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT to Canada
So not State to Province

It’s country to country

So we can therefore assume that NYCity is Bed Bath & Beyond’s International Hub

From there things would fly out to whatever country is needed

And then it’s THAT COUNTRY that has to do its own in country distribution

In which case, the scenario makes perfect sense

I am also guessing that the pkg went by ground delivery to save bucks
(An International Shipment and they aren’t going to care a whole lot about time & keeping the Customer waiting)

They saved money by sending it ground... cause the added expense for the shipment is the air portion USA to Canada
Which also would be the case if you lived in the UK, Dubai, or Australia

So from that POV their shipping plans make a lot more sense, IMO