Bed Bath and Beyond Shipped from Manufacturer Ridiculous Shipping Routes

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2018 4:13 am
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
I order stuff off Amazon.COM all the time. They provide more direct shipping, and never have shipped anything long distances via ground. Usually get the item within a week.

That being said, I ordered from BedBathAndBeyond.CA, so I shouldn't expect it coming from the United States. They also gave me a one week time frame, when it looks like it'll be at least 4 weeks.
I've been in contact with customer service, and from the looks of it, it's still in New York.
Sep 9, 2017
669 posts
348 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 2:01 pm
So much said here :rolleyes:

I’ve actually met “educated” (University Graduates = BAs, MAs, PHDs) Americans who not only don’t know US Geography, they have no clue about Canada

I get they may not know where Eastern Ontario is, when I say where I live... and perhaps they’ve heard of Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver (rarely Ottawa, our National Capital), but they have no concept of WHERE they are in relation to their own country.

The old joke, my uncle lives in Winnipeg, maybe you know him... sadly stands up in too many situations
A conversation I had with a Californian when I was visiting there a few years ago:

Californian - So where are you from?
Me - I'm from Manitoba.
Californian - Where's Manitoba?
Me - It's just north of North Dakota.
Californian - Where's North Dakota?
Me - ummm........
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2159 posts
1127 upvotes
Vancouver
Remember its not just one package. Maybe BBB doesnt have any direct route from Cali to BC. Its not efficent but it might not actually cost them anything because most major retailers actually buy bulk (container) shipping so they might hwve planned on shipping that container of goods to NY already so they tossed your package in with the rest of the packages. Then they probably will ship it to Ont from NY when they have enough package to ship out another container and from Ont to BC.

Of course based on your description, it probably will take well over a month to get your package, which probably would reach a point of “how is this acceptable if its not back ordered?”. The answer is its not but BBB was being cheap using bulk/container shipping and taking forever instead of doing what other e-retailers do and actually taking a somewhat direct route to the customer (or at least a better route than this lol). The result is they probably lost a customer for life and if they continue that practice, it would be Sears 2.0 lol.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
Yep Paigne. I get their logic, I just don't think it's good logic. Very short sighted.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2159 posts
1127 upvotes
Vancouver
TylerK wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 3:55 am
Yep Paigne. I get their logic, I just don't think it's good logic. Very short sighted.
Totally agree but one thing i learned from researching companies (since i manage my own investment/stocks) is a surprisingly high number of companies are actually very short sighted because their CEO/upper management actually has incentive to max out profiits right now (so they hit their targets and get their bonuses). Of course those are also companies you probably dont want to invest in lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2602 posts
637 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
TylerK wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 6:23 pm
I order stuff off Amazon.COM all the time. They provide more direct shipping, and never have shipped anything long distances via ground. Usually get the item within a week.

That being said, I ordered from BedBathAndBeyond.CA, so I shouldn't expect it coming from the United States. They also gave me a one week time frame, when it looks like it'll be at least 4 weeks.
I've been in contact with customer service, and from the looks of it, it's still in New York.
The problem is that OP wants to get his hands on the new goodies asap ... not the shipping industry's alleged incompetence.

The consumer has no say in the shipping route. Consumers might get to choose shipping method and be given an ETA but the experts in shipping are the shippers.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4819 posts
2607 upvotes
Marzipan wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:29 am
The problem is that OP wants to get his hands on the new goodies asap ... not the shipping industry's alleged incompetence.

The consumer has no say in the shipping route. Consumers might get to choose shipping method and be given an ETA but the experts in shipping are the shippers.
This

Plus the general belief that just because it came from the Canada .ca Website, that it should not be fulfilled by the .com US website.

FACT = Bed Bath & Beyond is a US BASED Company

They can fulfil the order however they see fit, and makes the most sense to THEM ... not the Customer

Whatever he ordered was not in stock near him (or in Canada at all) so they found the item in their inventory ... lol, maybe it’s the LAST ONE on the entire continent for all we know... and are now getting it to him.

I get his frustration in that his item isn’t to him yet ... in this modern day of instant response / gratification (just take a look at the Canada Post Delay Topic)... but it is what it is, in this global marketplace. Not so long ago, there was a lot less choice... and no US Big Box Stores here in Canada. I am thankful we now have more choice here at home, and thru the internet and can access the world. But I am also realistic that these things can and do sometimes mean delays.

As for Amazon... lol, it’s not perfect either.

Lots of complaints about their service as well here on RFD and the web.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:12 pm
This

Plus the general belief that just because it came from the Canada .ca Website, that it should not be fulfilled by the .com US website.

FACT = Bed Bath & Beyond is a US BASED Company

They can fulfil the order however they see fit, and makes the most sense to THEM ... not the Customer

Whatever he ordered was not in stock near him (or in Canada at all) so they found the item in their inventory ... lol, maybe it’s the LAST ONE on the entire continent for all we know... and are now getting it to him.

I get his frustration in that his item isn’t to him yet ... in this modern day of instant response / gratification (just take a look at the Canada Post Delay Topic)... but it is what it is, in this global marketplace. Not so long ago, there was a lot less choice... and no US Big Box Stores here in Canada. I am thankful we now have more choice here at home, and thru the internet and can access the world. But I am also realistic that these things can and do sometimes mean delays.

As for Amazon... lol, it’s not perfect either.

Lots of complaints about their service as well here on RFD and the web.
I like how it's my fault now. They quoted me one week. Now it's approaching 4 weeks. There were other options that would have gotten the item to me much closer to the one week time frame then sending it on the a truck across the entire continent. Amazon has never pulled shit like this before on me. Latest an item has been for me from .COM is a day. And I've made a few dozen orders from them.

They keep telling me they have "no choice" in shipping routes, which is complete BS. They've lost a customer for life.
Jan 12, 2017
635 posts
395 upvotes
Maple Ridge
you know, it's not like some dude is driving your frying pan across USA.
Your pan is put on a skid that they are shipping to BBB warehouse anyway, so it's not costing them any more than shipping a skid without your pan.
Manufactures do not ship to random customer's address even if it's next door to their warehouse.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
172 posts
28 upvotes
BC
Then perhaps BBB should have informed me of this rather than having a $300 order tied up because they couldn't deliver on time what they committed to? Can't even return the item until I get it, and it's still sitting in New York, and it's been about a week.