• Jul 12th, 2019 4:09 pm
[OP]
Feb 12, 2008
149 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Bed frame - what kind of wood is this?

Hi,

I am planning to build a bed frame similar to the one showed on the following web page. However, I am struggling with a few things.

1. I am not sure what kind of lumber /plywood is being used for the sides, foot and the headboard of the bed? Would I get this material in a Home Depot?
2. The screw that attaches the headboard to the sides - What kind of arrangement is this?
3. What are the metal pieces that hold the slats called?

DIY-Bed-Frame-with-Storage-Ideas.jpg
https://soifer.miv-mountloretto.org/the ... age-ideas/

Thanks
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
4 replies
Sep 5, 2011
283 posts
209 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Sounds like you are a complete newbie to woodworking...Maybe you should attempt something a little less challenging before jumping onto this project because there is nothing kills the mood more than a squeaking bed LOL.

There are many ways to make this exact bed with different materials. You don't have to replicate it to exact specs.

From looking at the picture...I would guess:
  • MDF boards for most of the construction and painted them white. Personally, I would use real Baltic Birch for this project.
  • Real solid wood (looks like maple) for the drawer front.
  • 1x4 materials for the slats
  • Simple angle iron for the slat rails but you can just use a piece of wood here too to save money.
  • The drawers doesn't seem to be on any kind of slider or anything so that would means they used some cheap small wheels at the bottom of each drawers.
  • The connection between the bed rail and headboard/baseboard was probably made with dowels and secured with a long "structure" screw from the front and rear. Personally, I would use mortise and tenon for this joint and use ZipBolt as mechanical fastener so it can still be hidden and you can still take them apart for transport. Pocket hole works here too but I wouldn't use it without glue for this joint and I would never take them apart for transport.
Jun 26, 2019
61 posts
81 upvotes
PCShutters wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 11:00 am
Sounds like you are a complete newbie to woodworking...Maybe you should attempt something a little less challenging before jumping onto this project because there is nothing kills the mood more than a squeaking bed LOL.

There are many ways to make this exact bed with different materials. You don't have to replicate it to exact specs.

From looking at the picture...I would guess:
  • MDF boards for most of the construction and painted them white. Personally, I would use real Baltic Birch for this project.
  • Real solid wood (looks like maple) for the drawer front.
  • 1x4 materials for the slats
  • Simple angle iron for the slat rails but you can just use a piece of wood here too to save money.
  • The drawers doesn't seem to be on any kind of slider or anything so that would means they used some cheap small wheels at the bottom of each drawers.
  • The connection between the bed rail and headboard/baseboard was probably made with dowels and secured with a long "structure" screw from the front and rear. Personally, I would use mortise and tenon for this joint and use ZipBolt as mechanical fastener so it can still be hidden and you can still take them apart for transport. Pocket hole works here too but I wouldn't use it without glue for this joint and I would never take them apart for transport.
+1 to the info here.

Generally most of the wood here can be found at HD, but depending on what materials you end up using it might be better to go to a Mill or Lumber supplier. Maybe drop by central fairbanks if its close to you. Additionally, if you're going to buy stuff from HD, just take your time and make sure nothing is warped too badly. It should also be noted that a lot of hardwoods are marked up a lot at HD.

As also stated above, generally its hard to beat Ikea on the price for what you get. You can price out all the materials and if this is for fun or a chore and make your decision from there.

Lastly, when you're cutting MDF or Ply, make sure you wear all your PPE including a dust mask or respirator.