• Oct 13th, 2004 9:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2004
1174 posts

Bed over heat vent

My parents moved into a new house recently. There is this bedroom in the house.., which is kinda weird.

Cuz, there is a heat vent in place where a bed would look great!

So, i am just wondering.., would it be ok or SAFE to place the bed over the heat vent ??
Share:
12 replies
Jul 16, 2004
80 posts
If your bed is on a frame and not lying directly on top of the heat vent, I would not worry to much about it. If it is running beside the wall, just leave a little bit of room or you could buy one of those covers that will make the heat blow in a different direction rather than straight up. I think they are called "deflectors".

Look at this: http://www.espenergy.com/wallairdeflectorw.gif
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
sounds like a fire violation to me
Create your own custom Avatar @ AbiStation
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6400 posts
149 upvotes
If the air coming out of your heat vents is hot enough to start something on fire, you have big problems.

Its fine to put a bed over a heat vent as long as you dont have the box spring sitting right on top of it unless you close the vent. If you have it on a some kind of frame with a couple inches of clearance, you will be fine. I would avoid putting a "bed skirt" on though, other wise you will lose circulation.
Apr 4, 2003
474 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Just go to Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart - you can buy a device that you place over the vent to divert the air a few feet out from under the bed/couch/whatever.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:If the air coming out of your heat vents is hot enough to start something on fire, you have big problems.
The air coming out of my heat vents isn't hot enough to start something on fire, but the flames are!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1291 posts
74 upvotes
Edmonton
mbg wrote:The air coming out of my heat vents isn't hot enough to start something on fire, but the flames are!
I don't get it. In side your furance is a heat exchanger that pretty much shields the flame from the venting part of your furnance. For the fire to reach a vent it would have to melt through the metal heat exchanger and have enough pressure to travel the distance of the heating duct and up the vent..at which time.. your furnance should have exploded or melted from the excessive heat.....
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14539 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
hahaha you guys crack me up. catching on fire...

the only thing you should worry about if you block the vent with your bed is airflow. airflow in your room and airflow within the ventilation system. you don't want any backdraft going back down to your basement.

on a separate note, I would think that it's really bad fengshui to sleep on top of a heat vent. you're cooking yourself. not a good sign.
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1160 upvotes
canadiantofu wrote:I don't get it.
His comment was a "joke".
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2004
1174 posts
hehe :) . Actually, i have the WOODEN bed frame which is maybe 0.75-1 m above the heat vent.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
canadiantofu wrote:I don't get it. In side your furance is a heat exchanger that pretty much shields the flame from the venting part of your furnance. For the fire to reach a vent it would have to melt through the metal heat exchanger and have enough pressure to travel the distance of the heating duct and up the vent..at which time.. your furnance should have exploded or melted from the excessive heat.....
Birds can't fly without umbrellas.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1600 posts
11 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
oh man, my bed is covering a heat vent :S

but it keeps me nice and warm!
Want to test your Driving Knowledge? Studying for the G1? Studying for the written driving test of another Province? Check out http://www.DrivingTests101.com for FREE practice tests, it's a great resource!!!!
× < >