Tags:
None
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes

bedroom htpc build suggestions

hey guys,

so i gotta build a computer for the gf and kids.
this machine will serve as a browsing machine and media player for kids bluray movies. monitor is not needed as i have just bought that today.
i am open to both intel and amd builds as well.
remember this is for a light user and 2 kids who just need to watch movies.
there is one other option i would like and that is to record tv so some sort of capture card would be needed to grab an ota stream. this is optional if it can be in the budget but not a must have.

any help is appreciated, lets try to keep this cheap.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16864 posts
125 upvotes
YVR
infamouskid wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 4:35 am
hey guys,

so i gotta build a computer for the gf and kids.
this machine will serve as a browsing machine and media player for kids bluray movies. monitor is not needed as i have just bought that today.
i am open to both intel and amd builds as well.
remember this is for a light user and 2 kids who just need to watch movies.
there is one other option i would like and that is to record tv so some sort of capture card would be needed to grab an ota stream. this is optional if it can be in the budget but not a must have.

any help is appreciated, lets try to keep this cheap.
You can always get a Mac Mini. It's nice and small which makes it a perfect HTPC. The only bad thing is that it doesn't read Blu-Rays.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 6:06 am
You can always get a Mac Mini. It's nice and small which makes it a perfect HTPC. The only bad thing is that it doesn't read Blu-Rays.
And the price.

Really OP can get away with a much cheaper ATOM ION base.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
interesting read.

anyone else have anything to contribute?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1162 posts
15 upvotes
infamouskid wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 10:25 am
interesting read.

anyone else have anything to contribute?
How much do you want to budget? That info is needed first, isn't it? :D

I always try to go for a bit of overkill on a HTPC because it's annoying when video has issues. I don't know much about blue-ray so maybe someone else can comment. I'd definitely get a discrete video card so if you need hardware acceleration, one that is decent at that and a decent cpu can only help.

I'd go for used or older EOL Intel hardware which is what I've done just recently. I'm building a cheap pc for a relative and I found a used P45 which I just bought. I'm passing on my p35 mobo.

If you go for cheap EOL hardware, you have the option of picking up used stuff and some new hardware which isn't too expensive. I'd recommend looking for a used P35 or P45 mobo (or new G31/G41) and a cheap video card, whatever is capable of driving blue-ray. An E3300 cpu is about $50 now. I only know about Hauppauge tv tuner cards and I used the 250 and 350. I suppose a lot has changed since then but I'm not doing that now so can't comment much.

Not sure what you think of this site but this thread seems to support my suggestions... YMMV.. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28192 ... 0-question
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5263 posts
16 upvotes
a AMD Athlon II X3 440 (3.1 ghz) + AMD 785/890 matx board + 4 gig kit of DDR3 1333 or 1600 mhz ram would be a a good start.

depending on what your budget is, you could also put a cheap small SSD drive in it as well to make it more silent.
AMD FX 8350 | Asus M5A99X-Evo | Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 16 gigs | Asus Xonar DX | Gigabyte Radeon 280x | Corsair 650HX | Fractial Designs Refine R5 | Samsung 840 EVO 256 gig. SSD
Heatware 45-0 | RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1162 posts
15 upvotes
terrybear wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 3:14 pm
a AMD Athlon II X3 440 (3.1 ghz) + AMD 785/890 matx board + 4 gig kit of DDR3 1333 or 1600 mhz ram would be a a good start.

depending on what your budget is, you could also put a cheap small SSD drive in it as well to make it more silent.
That's good but that's a bit up there in budget, maybe?

CPU is $80 min., cheapest 785G mobo that I can find is a Biostar at $60+ tax. DDR3 RAM 4GB is min. $100. That's approaching $300 already and it's only 3 parts. It depends on the OP's budget and what type of hardware he needs??
Mar 5, 2008
219 posts
5 upvotes
One thing to consider is fan noise. Make sure you do some research on a proper case with some sheilding from the CPU and power supply. Nothing ruins a blueray movie like the hum of a cpu fan.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2632 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Tha DraGun wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 3:04 pm
This is what Im waiting for. I havent seen it for sale anywhere in north america yet tho.

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.a ... 20100HT-BD
I can make something like that...you think I can make good $$ if I do it?? :D
RIG SPECS: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Intel i5 6600K @4.4GHz - GSkill Ripjaw 4 16GB Dual Channel @ 3000MHz - AMD R9 295x2 + Sapphire R9 290x - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300W G2 PSU - Radeon R7 240GB x2 Raid 0
HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3403 posts
423 upvotes
Kingston
Majinvegeta wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 6:28 pm
I can make something like that...you think I can make good $$ if I do it?? :D
How much do you think it would cost to make? I found it on ebay for $500 with shipping (i3 processor, dvd burner), but no ram or hard drive included.
Fairly expensive but it should be cheaper once its released in North America.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2632 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Tha DraGun wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 8:23 pm
How much do you think it would cost to make? I found it on ebay for $500 with shipping (i3 processor, dvd burner), but no ram or hard drive included.
Fairly expensive but it should be cheaper once its released in North America.
Probably around that price...I can get you a quote if you would like :) . I love building pc's.
RIG SPECS: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Intel i5 6600K @4.4GHz - GSkill Ripjaw 4 16GB Dual Channel @ 3000MHz - AMD R9 295x2 + Sapphire R9 290x - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300W G2 PSU - Radeon R7 240GB x2 Raid 0
HEATWARE
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
are we going back in times with this kinda build?

I mean really? HTPC is supposed to be an appliance not a multi purpose computer. PPL please, get out there more and see more possible technology.

If you're not upto the task, just get Boxxe box and be done with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1162 posts
15 upvotes
But, why get a dedicated blue ray box when you get a multi-function system that can ALSO play Blueray?

The OP said he wants it also for surfing/browsing the web and as a media player.

Therefore, if it's a dedicated media player, you just need a powerful cpu and gpu that can do the hardware acceleration. I suggested to go for an EOL Intel system. Unless, he thinks he might 'change it' into a gaming or 'other purpose' computer down the line, I'd go for cheap or budget components and buy two specific parts, a powerful cpu and a Nvidia 240 GT gpu.

Intel 775 LGA motherboards can be cheap used or just pick up a G31/G41 motherboard. I'd try for a used P35 or P45 board and pair it up with the most powerful cpu he can afford. That way, you can still get used (DDR2) RAM if need be. The i3 or i5 boards are a way to go to stay futureproof but you're almost forced to buy new and go to DDR3 RAM which is still expensive.

If there's no luck finding these parts used or at decent prices, then yes, I would then go for the cheap Intel system (i3 or i5). Just get the cheapest 1156 board and the video card I suggested. However, those processors are expensive. AMD is another route and may be cheaper? You almost have to go with a cheaper chipset, though, such as 740G/760G if you want budget stuff, though.

This article has a lot of info on Blueray:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/blu ... ,2636.html
× < >