• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 10:02 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1094 upvotes

Beef Rib Steak? Is this rib eye?

I bought a pack of steak from WM and it's labeled as "Beef Rib Steak"? Is that the same as rib eye? And is $14.93/kg a good price?

I find that different stores use different words when it comes to describing the kind of steak, which confuses the heck out of me.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Seks wrote: I bought a pack of steak from WM and it's labeled as "Beef Rib Steak"? Is that the same as rib eye? And is $14.93/kg a good price?

I find that different stores use different words when it comes to describing the kind of steak, which confuses the heck out of me.
Yup
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
Seks wrote: I bought a pack of steak from WM and it's labeled as "Beef Rib Steak"? Is that the same as rib eye? And is $14.93/kg a good price?

There's no consistent nomenclature that defines ribeye vs rib steak. Sometimes (I think moreso in the US), ribeye often refers to a boneless rib steak, other times it refers to rib steak with the cap removed (see this thread). You have to see it to know what you're getting.

Decent price, terrific price if it's boneless.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Good price or not, it's the quality of the meat that would determine whether it's a good value...

C
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1094 upvotes
it's triple AAA, not boneless though
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
The nomenclature has changed so much. A "Rib Eye" used to be just the medallion of the rib steak, now it seems to include the whole steak, for most places that I have seen. Same with "Porterhouse", unless you go to a butcher most places just lump it in with the T-Bone, so for me the search is on in a store when I shop for T-Bone to get the actual "Porterhouse" and on the same line watch out for those "Wing" steaks that are also lumped with the T-Bone. It is from the same cut but has no tenderloin attached or too small to even consider it is the tenderloin. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Aug 23, 2014
478 posts
264 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The best rib eye steak I've tried (at least the ones sold in groceries) is Costco.

They are now selling a premium cut (not wagyu), which I've found even more tender than their "regular" ribeye steak.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
Jedi14 wrote: The best rib eye steak I've tried (at least the ones sold in groceries) is Costco.

They are now selling a premium cut (not wagyu), which I've found even more tender than their "regular" ribeye steak.
Costco steak is mechanically tenderized...ie they poke micro holes all over it. Some people say you have to cook these to a higher temp.

I find it isn't a function of where you buy the steak but how will it is marbled and how the steak is cut ie thickness and where it is cut from it cut from first rib vs last rib vs middle rib.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Costco... A place with great beef absolutely ruined by unneccessary needling
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Jedi14 wrote: The best rib eye steak I've tried (at least the ones sold in groceries) is Costco.

If you really want the best tasting ribeye, stop by whole foods and get grass fed aged beef. Nothing really compares.
Feb 5, 2016
269 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cRaZyRaVr wrote: If you really want the best tasting ribeye, stop by whole foods and get grass fed aged beef. Nothing really compares.
Anywhere else to get the best ribeye east of Yonge west of Pickering?
Jul 31, 2008
500 posts
318 upvotes
Markham
Bruno's in Pickering sells excellent ribeye and will cut to order and vacuum seal each one.
Excellent service and quality.

https://www.brunos.ca/
Nov 13, 2012
5 posts
Vancouver
Is there a different name for ribeye in Canada? I am not seeing this term used at the major supermarkets here in BC.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Does WM = Walmart? If so we had rib steaks from there once, I never wanted to but hubby wanted to try.. AAA, flavourless and tough. Probably would not repeat that even for free.

We buy the whole boneless rib at Costco and cut our own... in fact just bought one today, smoked prime rib steaks tonight!! And I know it will be packed with flavour.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Flavour (and tenderness) in steaks can vary, even/often in the same pack. Doesn't seem to matter for perceived quality/reputation of the retailer either - RCSS, WM, Save On, independent, etc. - doesn't matter. I've had good AA steaks and tough, flavorless AAA Angus steaks (same cuts).

When Thrifty Foods was an independent, the Alex Campbell SIgnature beef had the claim that only the top 20% (or some number like that) of AAA qualified. Now that it's been owned by Empire Foods/Sobey for a few years, that's slipped to top 67% (it's also been renamed Sterling Silver).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China