• Aug 18th, 2017 9:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2113 posts
9 upvotes

Beer options - Indian wedding

Hi all

I am planning an Indian wedding. Instead of an open bar from the venue, I am planning to supply my own alcohol. I have wine taken care of, including a signature drink. There wont be hard liquor served but I will also have beers.

I have approx 75 to 80 guests that will be drinking. I am planning to have 2 beer selections, serving in 330ml bottles. I was hoping for some suggestions that may pair well with Indian food. Currently my options are:
Alexander Keiths
Corona
Stella artois
Rickards red
Rickards white
Shock top
Belgian moon
Heineken

Please note, I am trying to keep this within my budget and selecting ones which come in a 24pack minimum and also keeping it to the well know beers.

How many bottles should I be considering? I am thinking approx 150bottles?

Thanks for your opinions/ideas/tips!

-----UPDATE-----
Here are my choices narrowed down in pairs
Belgian Moon and Shocktop
Rickards Red and Rickards White
Alexander Keiths IPA and Corona
Last edited by heat on Aug 7th, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9915 posts
876 upvotes
Markham
heat wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 3:02 pm
Hi all

I am planning an Indian wedding. Instead of an open bar from the venue, I am planning to supply my own alcohol. I have wine taken care of, including a signature drink. There wont be hard liquor served but I will also have beers.

I have approx 75 to 80 guests that will be drinking. I am planning to have 2 beer selections, serving in 330ml bottles. I was hoping for some suggestions that may pair well with Indian food. Currently my options are:
Alexander Keiths
Corona
Stella artois
Rickards red
Rickards white
Shock top
Belgian moon
Heineken

Please note, I am trying to keep this within my budget and selecting ones which come in a 24pack minimum and also keeping it to the well know beers.

How many bottles should I be considering? I am thinking approx 150bottles?

Thanks for your opinions/ideas/tips!
Not sure what pairs well with Indian food, but 150 bottles for 75-80 wedding guests? Unless your family/friends are mostly non-drinkers, that seems extremely low. If I was going this route I would much rather buy lots of extra beer that I can take home after than be embarrassed when I run out of booze.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2113 posts
9 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 3:56 pm
Not sure what pairs well with Indian food, but 150 bottles for 75-80 wedding guests? Unless your family/friends are mostly non-drinkers, that seems extremely low. If I was going this route I would much rather buy lots of extra beer that I can take home after than be embarrassed when I run out of booze.
Yeap that makes sense. I am thinking to double that amount. I just figured with wine and a signature drink I can lower the amount. Of beer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2113 posts
9 upvotes
seagull1987 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 4:48 pm
No access to Cobra/Kingfisher where you are?
The majority drinking arent Indians. Kingfisher is at the LCBO selling a 6pack. No 18, 24 or 30 pack
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4712 posts
390 upvotes
Scarborough
Indian food is heavy man. Better try Sprite, Cola etc (soft drinks).
You don't wanna be having them throwing up curry everywhere......
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4697 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
I love beer but I'd just go with Corona and Heineken...if I had those available at one of my events people would look at me strange but for a circumstances it'll do for "brands". Don't worry what pairs best with Indian food, they'll do fine.

I agree your total is low, at an Indian wedding in my experiences people aren't drinking at all or getting totally wasted.

I also see whisky as an Indian drink as well, and advise you to reconsider hard liquor. I'm not saying get Amrut single malt, but for some reason Indians in general love Johnnie Walker here, stick with Red Label. Whatever isn't used can be returned to LCBO.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9763 posts
853 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 6:05 pm
I love beer but I'd just go with Corona and Heineken...if I had those available at one of my events people would look at me strange but for a circumstances it'll do for "brands". Don't worry what pairs best with Indian food, they'll do fine.

I agree your total is low, at an Indian wedding in my experiences people aren't drinking at all or getting totally wasted.

I also see whisky as an Indian drink as well, and advise you to reconsider hard liquor. I'm not saying get Amrut single malt, but for some reason Indians in general love Johnnie Walker here, stick with Red Label. Whatever isn't used can be returned to LCBO.
I agree with not worrying if it pairs with the food. The people who will drink the beer aren't drinking it for the flavor and how well it goes with their meal. To that point, I wouldn't go nuts with the imported beer. Make at least half the beer order domestic. Nobody will complain.
May 7, 2008
439 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Overbuy and return. Both LCBO and Beer Store - will take back beer.

For really cheap beer grab a keg - but you might limited to one beer choice - as it is approximately 168 beers.

If you want cheap beer in the bottle - try Amsterdam Brewery if you live in Toronto. Some of the beers are around $1.40 per bottle, premium-ish beer at better price than Beer Store.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36506 posts
2445 upvotes
Toronto
Never met anyone who complained about beer selection at an open bar.
Except for one time it was half coors light... but ... coors light! LoL! I love cheap beer. But it has to have beer in it :)

Do 24's of heiny and corona like the guy above mentioned. Those are brands you can serve while cheaping out and not lose face. Bc they are pretty popular overAll mainstream type beers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2113 posts
9 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 3:27 pm
Never met anyone who complained about beer selection at an open bar.
Except for one time it was half coors light... but ... coors light! LoL! I love cheap beer. But it has to have beer in it :)

Do 24's of heiny and corona like the guy above mentioned. Those are brands you can serve while cheaping out and not lose face. Bc they are pretty popular overAll mainstream type beers
At this point I am going with Alexander Keiths IPA and Corona. Alexander keith's is cheap at $1.55 per bottle. Any opinions on Keiths being a cheap beer?
Jan 7, 2013
16 posts
6 upvotes
WHITBY
Rickards White and Belgian Moon/Blue Moon are the same beers.

Stick with lagers and light lagers with spicy Indian food if you want to diminish the heat, IPA's will intensify the heat of the food if that is what you want.

WesTheBeerGuy
Prud'homme Beer Sommelier
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3265 posts
1927 upvotes
North Vancouver
No Frills wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 6:05 pm
Crown Royal as well.
Mar 11, 2016
63 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
OP,

Corona & Stella Artois
or
Corona & Heineken

As for bottles needed, buy 8 cases each of the two beers and keep the receipts so you can return the unopened cases. Trust me, buy more and you can't go wrong. Buy less, you will get stress. You don't want to be running to the LCBO/beer store for more booze on the your wedding day! Worst case, a dry bar...be prepared for foul language and or fights. :)