• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2010 4:36 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
608 posts
73 upvotes
Fergus, ON

Beer Prices in Quebec

How do the the beer prices in Quebec compare to Ontario?

I've always heard it was a little cheaper in Quebec, and it should be more so now with McDinky's HST in effect.

Were taking a trip to Ottawa soon and I was thinking of crossing the river to pick up some brews.
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5038 posts
1277 upvotes
Most imported (but locally owned) beers are at about 1$/bottle.

Domestic beers must be around the same price. Good luck finding Molson Canadian though :D But Labatt BLEUE is everywhere.

Beer prices are government regulated, like MILK, because all ESSENTIAL products are regulated. Well, not all of them but, beer, yes. ;)
Nov 1, 2008
83 posts
5 upvotes
Beer is definitely cheaper in Quebec, but wine is more expensive. I've never been, but my co-workers have told me that Depanneur Rapido in Aylmer has really good deals on 24's.

One thing to keep in mind is that unlike Ontario, the price displayed does not include tax and deposit.
Mar 17, 2009
104 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
I have friends who, when in Quebec, will go to Costco and get beer, saying they have the best price.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1243 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
i visit beer king in aylmer (on Dalhousie ) and corona there is $10 cheaper than in Ontario :) . always grab 5 cases minimum to make it worthwhile!
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
608 posts
73 upvotes
Fergus, ON
Thanks guys. Im hoping they have some good local brews as I'm not in to the mass produced water-flavoured beers like Canadian and Blue. Though if they had Rickards at a buck a bottle I would have to come home with a trunk full!
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2010
1375 posts
96 upvotes
loghed wrote:
Jul 12th, 2010 12:13 am
Thanks guys. Im hoping they have some good local brews as I'm not in to the mass produced water-flavoured beers like Canadian and Blue. Though if they had Rickards at a buck a bottle I would have to come home with a trunk full!
Go in a SAQ, they have a large selection of beer/artisanal beer but it all depend of the size of the SAQ. :razz:

Depanneur mostly only carry mass produced water-flavoured beers like Canadian and Blue.

75%+ of the people that buying food or alcool from a depanneur are poor so they aren't that fancy. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
112 upvotes
Gdc wrote:
Jul 12th, 2010 12:49 am
Go in a SAQ, they have a large selection of beer/artisanal beer but it all depend of the size of the SAQ. :razz:

Depanneur mostly only carry mass produced water-flavoured beers like Canadian and Blue.

75%+ of the people that buying food or alcool from a depanneur are poor so they aren't that fancy. :lol:
Then you are going to the wrong Depanneurs. In Aylmer, the couple that were mentioned in this thread carry many craft beers from mainly Quebec. You can also get great beer from McAuslan and Unibroue from these stores.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
112 upvotes
loghed wrote:
What king of "local" brews are you looking for? There are many beers from Quebec sold at these stores but you won't see them selling Beau's or Heritage brews...
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
How much is a 8 pack of Guinness ?
Dec 4, 2007
694 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
delavoie wrote:
Jul 12th, 2010 8:57 am
How much is a 8 pack of Guinness ?
Never seen it sold as an 8-pack. 4 can(500ml) pack is around $10+tax+deposit.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5038 posts
1277 upvotes
loghed wrote:
Rickards would be about 15$ for a 12 pack. Or 18$ if you go some place expensive.
Dec 1, 2005
332 posts
2 upvotes
a case of 24 beer here on sale its about 21.99 (plus tax and deposit)
I believe thats about half price of that in Ontario
I was just in Oshawa for a wedding, and I took 4 cases of 24 and 2 cases of 55 cans from Costco. I'd say its definately cheaper and worth it to stock up!
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
112 upvotes
GaspeLisa wrote:
Jul 12th, 2010 11:25 am
a case of 24 beer here on sale its about 21.99 (plus tax and deposit)
I believe thats about half price of that in Ontario
I was just in Oshawa for a wedding, and I took 4 cases of 24 and 2 cases of 55 cans from Costco. I'd say its definately cheaper and worth it to stock up!
It's not half the price, it would be closer to $10 difference per case. Teh light beer in Quebec has a minimum legal price of $21.xx (between $26-27 with tax and depo) and 5% beer has a minimum of $23.xx (between 28-29)

When you start talking cans then there is a bigger difference in price.
May 5, 2007
815 posts
85 upvotes
loghed wrote:
Jul 11th, 2010 1:16 pm
How do the the beer prices in Quebec compare to Ontario?

I've always heard it was a little cheaper in Quebec, and it should be more so now with McDinky's HST in effect.

Were taking a trip to Ottawa soon and I was thinking of crossing the river to pick up some brews.
Quebec has had HST for some time now. Generally, beer has always been cheaper in Quebec, before or after Ontario and/or Quebec's tax situation.
× < >