Shopping Discussion

Before you buy Xbox

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2014 10:49 am
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
493 upvotes

Before you buy Xbox

This morning my son told me there was something wrong with Xbox. It freezes for minutes after start, sitting on animated circle and also on account signing-in, even local non-Live accounts. It worked fine just 2 days ago.

Installing system update failed consistently and repeatedly.

Cleared HDD cache. Reset network connection. Downloaded system update on USB key and updated. Nothing.

Started chat support session with Microsoft. After long account verification he sent me links with steps to follow. Verified my Live account, removed internal HDD. Still freezing.

After about an hour of try this, try that he told me my console was overheating and they need to repair my console. Frustrated I told him "bye" and closed chat. No way I am paying these incompetents.

Searched again and found YouTube post that basically said to remove Internet connection. Had wireless, so I reset network to factory settings that removed all memorized connections.

Voila! No more freezing!

Conclusion: it's not hardware problem but "Microsoft" problem. They make something that works, then fix it and fix and update it some more until it does not work. They mutilated Windows, doing the same to Xbox.

Don't buy anything from Microsoft that can get remotely updated.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Listen, all companies could use better tech support not just MS. As far updates, do you actually believe only MS has bugs? You must be an "I" user.
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
493 upvotes
Microsoft invented botched updates. Don't know what do you mean by "I" user, is that supposed to be an insult? If you mean Apple, I am not their zombie.

But I am a user who mastered Windows 2k/XP, wrote and maintained some device drivers, then I fell out off Windows programming world to do something different and lately tried to setup a network with store-bought Win8.1 machines only to learn they are Win8.1 Basic and many networking utilities and functions are only available for Win8.1 Pro (e.g. edit network properties or persuade Win8 that network was private when SOB determined it was public) and it took registry fiddling and PowerShell scripting to get it done.

It annoys me that companies like Microsoft assume ownership of my time, they send out half-assed updates to have millions users fiddle and troubleshoot with their crap to save what? Couple dollars on Q&A? This is the kind of product that should "just work" just like my ultra-old PS2 that's still going strong. Actually I did not have any issues with two of my PS3s either
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yes, sony was extremely impressive with their massive security breach on PS network.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Xbone op?

Was thinking of picking one up.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Yes, sony was extremely impressive with their massive security breach on PS network.
You beat me to it.

OP, Technical Support over the phone always blows. Nor can Microsoft be certain that you actually followed all their steps like they said. 1 skipped step could change everything in terms of resolving the problem.