• Dec 22nd, 2009 10:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes

Beginner Camera Equipment?

Looking into getting my first DSLR soon. Most likely a Canon XSi (been using a Canon XTi for the past 6 months, and it's really fun, not to mention I have a stack of lenses at my disposal), and the XS seems really cheap.

Aside from the body, what lenses and other gear should I get to start? I'm looking to shoot mainly outdoor imagery (nature, landscapes, animals), and the occasional photos of people. I've had the chance to play around with an external flash (Speedlite 430EZ), and that's been a lot of fun, but is something like that necessary?

Edit: Also, are there any lenses out there capable of taking a photo of a target larger than the target itself? I've been trying to take a photo of a bug, and nothing I have can make the bug larger than real size without being out of focus.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Seiphas wrote:
Nov 26th, 2009 9:22 pm
Looking into getting my first DSLR soon. Most likely a Canon XSi (been using a Canon XTi for the past 6 months, and it's really fun, not to mention I have a stack of lenses at my disposal), and the XS seems really cheap.

Aside from the body, what lenses and other gear should I get to start? I'm looking to shoot mainly outdoor imagery (nature, landscapes, animals), and the occasional photos of people. I've had the chance to play around with an external flash (Speedlite 430EZ), and that's been a lot of fun, but is something like that necessary?

Edit: Also, are there any lenses out there capable of taking a photo of a target larger than the target itself? I've been trying to take a photo of a bug, and nothing I have can make the bug larger than real size without being out of focus.
Wait, if you've been using an XTi for the past 6 months, this upcoming purchase would not be your first DSLR?

Anyway, your question has been asked to death on this forum. I recommend doing a search (use the Search This Forum function). Use keywords like: "beginner" or "entry level", even the make and model of the hardware you're looking for.

For your last question, what you're looking for is a macro lens. If you've ever used a point and shoot and used the "flower" mode, that's the macro mode on a point and shoot. In the DSLR world, you need a dedicated lens for it.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
I've been using an XTi that was lent to me, not one that actually belongs to me. This would be the first camera I've actually needed to purchase.

I have a 100mm macro lens I tried (Canon EF 100mm 1:2.8), but it still wasn't able to capture as much detail as I need. What focal length would be needed to get right up close to a really tiny object?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1049 posts
11 upvotes
if a macro lens cannot get you the detail you need...you'll probably need to put in extension tubes so you can get even closer..
or make a super macro lens...google it

other things to get.... a tripod is up there as well as a flash.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Seiphas wrote:
Nov 26th, 2009 10:00 pm
I've been using an XTi that was lent to me, not one that actually belongs to me. This would be the first camera I've actually needed to purchase.

I have a 100mm macro lens I tried (Canon EF 100mm 1:2.8), but it still wasn't able to capture as much detail as I need. What focal length would be needed to get right up close to a really tiny object?
Ah, that makes more sense. I'd advise you to read all the reviews for a particular model you're looking for. The best online is www.dpreview.com, they have all of Canon's cameras reviewed up to date.

If 100mm 1:2.8 isn't close enough for you, without using extension tubes - consider this:

http://canon.ca/english/index-products. ... id=2&ovr=1

It offers from 1:1 to 5:1 macro goodness! This guy is using one to take photos of spiders (not recommended for viewing if you have acute arachnophobia!): http://www.eurospiders.com/macro_photo.php
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
The lens linked to in the above article would do what I wanted (for the most part), but unfortunately, I don't have $1000 to spend on it. I think extension tubes, or the whole "super macro lens" thing, is the better way to go in my case.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21314 posts
2131 upvotes
I tossed a set of Kenko tubes on my 70-300 and it makes a great macro. Fairly cheap too.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
Bumping this, as I'm hoping to pick stuff up on boxing day.

I'm looking at either the T1i or XSi right now (T1i if it drops a bit in price on boxing day), and I need to figure out what stuff to buy. I have no idea what makes a better lens, at this point in time, and I have no idea what useful goodies I should pick up when I get the camera itself.

If anyone has suggestions for what I should pick up with the camera (or what gear would be most useful for someone getting in to photography), please let me know.
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
Seiphas wrote:
Dec 21st, 2009 1:13 am
Bumping this, as I'm hoping to pick stuff up on boxing day.

I'm looking at either the T1i or XSi right now (T1i if it drops a bit in price on boxing day), and I need to figure out what stuff to buy. I have no idea what makes a better lens, at this point in time, and I have no idea what useful goodies I should pick up when I get the camera itself.

If anyone has suggestions for what I should pick up with the camera (or what gear would be most useful for someone getting in to photography), please let me know.
Well since its a canon, usually pick the L lenses :cheesygri they generally have better build and weather/dust proofing, and generally speaking they provide great pictures. Although they are not cheap but well worth it since its price doesn't go down in price compared to a camera body. A better investment than a camera body.

Useful accessories, well there's a post somewhere you can search for it but generally; lenses, flash, bag(if you dont have one), tripod, batt, memory card. They provide different uses. Tripod if you shoot landscape/terrain or if you do long exposures. Extra Batt and extra memory card are good where electricity is not readily available such as backpacking in a park or nature reserve or something like that, as well as backpacking in another country, etc...

Useful is kinda subjective since for some people a lighting equipment (lamp, umbrella, mount, stand, etc..) are more useful for their type of photography. Others will find it less useful if they do street photography (during the day :D )
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
Looking to do mainly people / landscapes. Nothing too professional, but I guess my goal is to be able to capture a half-decent photo in all scenarios. I figure that would include a few lenses, a tripod, some filters, and maybe a flash.

Basically, I'm looking for advice on what goodies to include along with the purchase of a camera. I figure that I'll need a few good zooming lenses (and some all-around good primes), a flash, a tripod, and some filters. For a bag, I'll probably end up going with whatever I personally like. Anyone have advice on what lenses to get, and what filters to get for them? I'm not looking for any filters that can do things that I can do in PS.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21314 posts
2131 upvotes
Seiphas wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 1:38 am
Looking to do mainly people / landscapes. Nothing too professional, but I guess my goal is to be able to capture a half-decent photo in all scenarios. I figure that would include a few lenses, a tripod, some filters, and maybe a flash.

Basically, I'm looking for advice on what goodies to include along with the purchase of a camera. I figure that I'll need a few good zooming lenses (and some all-around good primes), a flash, a tripod, and some filters. For a bag, I'll probably end up going with whatever I personally like. Anyone have advice on what lenses to get, and what filters to get for them? I'm not looking for any filters that can do things that I can do in PS.
Budget? A "few" decent zooms can cost $6000, "some" primes $3000, a flash $400, a tripod $600, filters $200, a bag $200.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
Budget, including camera, is around $2000 to start. I know that there will be some areas that the camera won't perform well in, and I figure after using the camera for a while, I'll be able to identify what I need to pick up in order to improve on those areas.

I'm not against spending more than $2000, but I should be able to accomplish my goal of decent photos in all scenarios (excluding something ridiculous like taking photos of water skiing at night) for under $2000.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3684 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
The kit lens that comes with the XSi or T1i is decent enough for a beginner. Take enough shots with that until you figure out what you need.

For a macro lens on a budget, get one of those 70-300mm tele zooms from Canon or otherwise. They're obviously not real macro lenses, but will do the job for $300!