Art and Photography

**Beginner** Can you provide recommendations for cheap DSLR?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2019 7:30 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2008
168 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

**Beginner** Can you provide recommendations for cheap DSLR?

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an entry level DSLR below $500.00. I wouldn't mind if it had some nice features (Wifi, NFC, etc.) however I am looking for a camera to take with me. I would prefer a recommendation from Bestbuy or Wal-mart as I have gift cards I've saved from holiday gifts. I would also accept Ebay recommendations or other cheap sources.

Thank you,
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2895 posts
646 upvotes
There's a thousand guides out there but...to help you out, a few questions

1. what are you going to do with it?
2. would you consider used
3. do you have anything or would $500 need to include camera, memory card, spare batteries, bag...
Nov 12, 2012
625 posts
293 upvotes
Calgary
Cheap AND built in WiFi for under $500 is going to be a bit of a stretch. You'll be hard pressed to find a quality point and shoot, let alone a DSLR.

Question 1 above is the most important criteria, what are you shooting with it?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7630 posts
1513 upvotes
You can get a used a6000 with kit lens or openbox at Best Buy for about that.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Nov 4, 2016
861 posts
527 upvotes
Get a Canon G1X Mk ii from Henry's. You mentioned that you want a camera to take with you, so portability is important. For a beginner, a DSLR might not be the best choice. Better to have a solid point and shoot with a big sensor.

https://www.henrys.com/83964-CANON-POWE ... 5X-3-.aspx
Last edited by CCHIPSS on Sep 23rd, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Sep 22, 2019
1 posts
Honestly, just find the cheapest dslr you can find with the kit lens that leaves you enough left over to grab a mini tripod or remote trigger. If you start getting into photography you're going to want to upgrade after a couple months anyway. Also, the wifi feature is very gimicky. Just grab a card reader and an adapter to plug into your phone if you want to be able to quick edit/quick post to social media.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1153 posts
428 upvotes
+1 for the A6000 for the price and functions you are looking for. As for if it might do what you need, it depends. It's not good for sport or wildlife photography for example.

And like bhrm said, make sure you have a budget for accessories. I have made the mistake of spending way more than what I have planned because of the accessories.
Nov 4, 2016
861 posts
527 upvotes
The OP mentioned that he wants to take his camera with him, day to day or travel. I would suggest a strong point and shoot like the Canon G1X Mk ii for either case for a beginner.

When asked why new people quit photography, one of the biggest reason is how heavy it is to carry all the lens around. They found their gear always sitting at home. This is why I no longer recommend DSLR/mirrorless on the spot. They have to know what they are getting into.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Aug 28, 2017
57 posts
121 upvotes
Get an older Canon with kit lens (18-55mm) from craigslist for under 300 bucks. Use your gift card on a new 50mm prime for the Canon. They're about 200 bucks. The kit zoom lens 18-55mm, while not great, will be good enough to learn and a 50mm prime will let you take really nice photos, even with an older body. Plus, they're small.

Craigslist search: Canon XSi, T1i, T2i.

Best Buy link for 50mm prime: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ca ... 2/10373954
Aug 23, 2019
666 posts
316 upvotes
LostStudent wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2019 6:52 pm
Hello everyone,

I am looking for an entry level DSLR below $500.00. I wouldn't mind if it had some nice features (Wifi, NFC, etc.) however I am looking for a camera to take with me. I would prefer a recommendation from Bestbuy or Wal-mart as I have gift cards I've saved from holiday gifts. I would also accept Ebay recommendations or other cheap sources.

Thank you,
Hey OP are you in Toronto? I'm lookign to get rid of my DSLR for that price pointish....

EOS rebel t6i
I have the kit lense and the 'nifty 50".(50mm).. also have the "travel case" and an extra battery for it.