Beginner's cam

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2016 2:14 am
Tags:
Nov 5, 2014
322 posts
169 upvotes

Beginner's cam

Beginner here and looking for my first (used) camera. I found a T3i + 18-55 kit with 1800 shutter counts for 350.

Should I get the T3i or a D3100 with 5627 shitter count?

There is also a used D3200 with 10k shutter count that is selling for 400. I've been researching for about 4 months now and these three are within budget

Should I buy one now or should I just wait for boxing day deals?
9 replies
Jul 12, 2010
498 posts
89 upvotes
Under 10k shutter they are all basically low use. so probably won't use that as a deciding factor. I would recommend you first choose the system you want. So Nikon or Canon camp hehe even though it is your first camera, if you plan on expanding your lens in the future you basically locking yourself in. (sure you can resell for a loss and switch)

just some general opinions - Nikon got better quality sensors and better high ISO performance - while canon tends to be better for video(touchscreen and pops out) and has a more natural skin colour reproduction/ green.
Both are great resale value/ resale market supply is decent - Canon tends to have more selection in used market/supply so its easier to wheel and deal and get a better used price.

Since your budget seems low like 300-500 I would stick with the used market and not wait for boxing day deals since the only stuff that is in that range sucks like the T5/T6 type of stuff I assume. Better bang for buck just going used, just make sure it works and is in great condition (which isn't hard since alot of ppl buy BNIB beginner cameras and decide it's not for them and collects dust)

I'm not too familiar with Nikon so I;m not too sure how the D3100 vs 3200 - I know the D3300 is quite great in terms of image quality for a beginner class but is more pricey. The T3i is great as the T4i/T5i didn't upgrade much. I would probably try and lowball for $325 for the T3i if not $300 haha (rfd in me).

Just some food for thought, not sure how serious you are about photography and needing to jump into a DSLR - you could always go for the AIO systems that are great for travel/ portability makes it more encouraging to take it with you and take more photos, rather than lugging a bulky dslr. But dslr is great because it's versatile with interchangeable lens.
Are you planning to shoot in Auto mode or manual ?? could help you decide how deep you plan on diving into photography.
Nov 5, 2014
322 posts
169 upvotes
Great points, thanks.

By AIO do you mean all in one?

Oh I found a used Sony A5000 for 350 as well...now there's 4 to choose from.

I am planning to shoot using the different modes and learn as I go.
Nov 5, 2014
322 posts
169 upvotes
D5200 unknown shutter count, no cables no manual for 400.

Now I'm really not sure what to get.

Help?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5241 posts
3520 upvotes
Sony A5000 is a great choice but not for $350 used....it was $329 new on sale at one point.

Bosschiefamomaster wrote: Great points, thanks.

By AIO do you mean all in one?

Oh I found a used Sony A5000 for 350 as well...now there's 4 to choose from.

I am planning to shoot using the different modes and learn as I go.
Feb 10, 2005
785 posts
126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have been using a T3i for the last 5 years. It is a very good beginner's camera. Things I am not happy with are

1) low frame rate per second.

2) small memory buffer when shooting in RAW. The buffer is filled after approx. 5 or 6 shots. Then you have to wait and watch your photo opportunity disappears right in front of your eyes. It is acceptable in Jpeg mode but the frame rate is slow.

3) ISO performance is so and so.

I think $350 is a decent deal with such a low shutter count provided that the camera is working properly and comes with a strap, a battery as well as a charger.

Compared to Sony, I do think Sony has better contrast / color.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5241 posts
3520 upvotes
Also the T3i is pretty dated, and the sensor i don't believe there was any drastic improvement or nothing at all compared to T2i to T4i to T5i.

What are you looking to shoot? Sports? Travel? People? Family?
Nov 5, 2014
322 posts
169 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Also the T3i is pretty dated, and the sensor i don't believe there was any drastic improvement or nothing at all compared to T2i to T4i to T5i.

What are you looking to shoot? Sports? Travel? People? Family?
Travel, people, and family.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Bosschiefamomaster wrote: D5200 unknown shutter count, no cables no manual for 400.

Now I'm really not sure what to get.

Help?
D5200 image quality is better than the T3i, and it has better features than the D3200.