Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2006
363 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond hill
licenced wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 4:53 pm
You're welcome 930. The square foot coverage per the can is probably correct if it's applied with the thick coat applicator - the store mock deck had it plastered on and there was significant texture just to look at it. We wanted a less thick look so chose the roller I mentioned which spread it more thinly and there is no visual texture. Went through 8 rollers though probably because it wasn't meant for this type of product. My deck is wet right now, when it dries I'll try to remember to take a close up pic. As I mentioned, be careful of the colour, we chose the Wood Chip SC-111 it truned out to be between that and Padre Brown SC-105 which is the colour to the right of it on their paint brochure. We like it, but it's not what we originally were after.
some pictures would be awesome!!!
thanks again!!!!
looking forward to it!!!
Mar 26, 2009
625 posts
92 upvotes
Hamilton
930929930 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 3:36 pm
the review was referring to a different product though.

but it seems like the site is saying Behr is a bad brand???!!! i don't know as I have never used it, but I have always thought they are reputable, no?
I personally cannot stand Behr paint... it peels, it drips easily, it's rubbery... for budget brand paint I prefer Lowe's Valspar.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3961 posts
577 upvotes
Markham
Re. the coverage of 50 sq ft...I've read about another product (Deck Restore) that was similar and people commented not to spread too thin or try to get more coverage out of it than what they recommend.

interesting that Deck Restore says 25 sq ft in two coats and Behr says 50 sq ft in two coats. Does that mean Behr is half the thickness?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/deck-re ... lon/831974

Covers up to 25 square feet; two coats required

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr-pr ... 3-l/830765

"Covers up to 5 m2 (50 sq. ft.) in 2 coats."

Licensed...if you can post pics, it'd help. I'm thinking your deck looks like it's a composite now instead of wood deck.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3451 posts
828 upvotes
Thornhill
Here's the picture of the texture 903, hope it gives you some perspective.

Added: Gr8clr, it's wood.
Jul 4, 2006
363 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond hill
@ licenced, thanks for the picture, looks pretty good!!!

I will go to home depot this weekend to look at it more closely, but so far this(Behr Deck over) seems to be the winner!!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3451 posts
828 upvotes
Thornhill
My pleasure 930929930. Give us your review if you go ahead.
Jul 23, 2013
1 posts
Hi all. I just so happen to work in the paint department at Home Depot and can answer some questions. The reason why the sq ft of deck restore is 25 sq ft for 2 coats is because it is very sandy. You do not want to stretch it to go farther because it is not at all made to do so. It needs to be applied thickly in order to work properly. If spread to thin the sandy paint mixture will begin to separate. Causing it to lift and peel and leave it no where near as durable as it really is. As far as feel on bare feet it does indeed feel rougher than the deck over by behr when you use the restore brand textured roller it leaves quite the texture. Though you can also use a paint brush or regular thin nap roller, thinnest that you can find, to use on your second coat to smooth it out. To do this you would roll your second coat on normally with the textured roller in about a 5sq foot area at a time and then use the thin roller or brush to smooth it out. Though I have done both techniques myself the smoothing is a process and takes a long time to get a nice smooth finish, and I'm a perfectionist so it took awhile. It is very dura or and does fill in cracks up to 1/4 inch though I recommend using a crack filler first to save on restore product as it doesn't have the greatest sq ft coverage per gallon. Or you could also run over the cracks once with either a paint brush or the textured roller and allow it to dry completely before doing your first full coat just to build it up some and full the cracks nicer. As far as the deck restore by behr goes, it is a great product as well. Not quite as thick as the restore but it does have a smoother finish and is a simpler application as it is not as sandy and rough textured as the restore. It too can fill in 1/4 inch cracks but only if you take a paint brush with the product to the cracks and allowing it to dry before applying the first coat. If you skip the crack filling and roll it on and expect the product to hold up in the cracks it likely won't. Especially in Canada where our temperatures change so much. What will happen is it will shrink an crack. Similar to asphalt and pot holes. Saying this I personally prefer the deck over by behr, simply because application is easier. It is so very inportant though to make sure your deck is cleaned before applying these products. Most of the I. Store displays are not done properly. They are just a quick go grab a piece of unsellable wood from the lumber department, write it off and quickly put the product on to show the finished result. They are not cleaned, scrubbed and rinsed of dirt or dust of any sort so the product does not adhere nearly as well as it does when all steps are properly followed. It is the same with the deck stains. Many people skip the cleaning step prior to applying the stain and that is one of the reasons why there are so many complaints about deck stains peeling or not covering as well in some places or others. Anyways that is my review on the products and I just bought the deck over to cover my own deck! Excited to be able to have access to such great products! Any more questions feel free to ask! Also I should note my deck is topped with plywood not deck boards! Though I have used it on deck boards as well!
Jul 27, 2013
1 posts
Has anyone tried applying the Behr deck over or or the Rust-Oleum Restore products over a composite decking material? My composite decking has just not stood the test of time and I want to refinish it. Also, has anyone tried using a faux wood grain roller with this product or is it too thick?
Aug 14, 2013
1 posts
While I don't have any experience with Deck Over, we used a similar product a couple of weeks ago on our deck called DeckReform. We bought it online (http://shop.deckreform.com/) and had good results. I would recommend it to someone looking into deck coatings. I am not familiar with painting these types of products on composite decks.
Sep 5, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
930929930 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 3:36 pm
the review was referring to a different product though.

but it seems like the site is saying Behr is a bad brand???!!! i don't know as I have never used it, but I have always thought they are reputable, no?
I have used Behr interior and exterior paints for a long time... hundreds and hundreds of gallons. In almost every application I love their products. The paint goes on nice and thick ... less drips and better coverage. For interior surfaces, I do what I call 1 and 1/2 coats, which is one good coat and then a little bit of touch up for visible holidays. When painting exterior, I just do one coat, or rather one trip around the house. (Most our exteriors are 2nd level because I live in coastal area and all homes are elevated) So I only go up the ladder once. I paint the trim, cut in the regular color, roll out the regular color, touch up the trim and touch up the regular color, being sure to check for holidays... go back down the ladder, move over one ladder width and repeat. Behr makes such awesome paint this is all that is necessary, and my paint jobs last twice as long as sprayed on paint. I have tried a lot of other paints over the years at customer's insistance, but I have never found another that I like as much.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8639 posts
603 upvotes
GTA
Anyone else have reviews of these products? Particular curious about people that might have cracking deck boards. Want to help out my parents deck. Wonder if we can get by with this or need to put new boards down.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1726 posts
253 upvotes
I built our deck 2 years ago with pressure treated from Rona. I think we have to put stain on it this year (is that correct?)

I like natural color of the wood and hate anything that looks painted...What should I look for?

Thanks.

Kevin.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3451 posts
828 upvotes
Thornhill
As an update to my post of last year.Finally went out onto my deck today. The Deck Over held up beautifully.
Jun 1, 2014
1 posts
Newmarket, ON
@Licenced - Thanks for the update, good to know especially after the winter we just had! Going to try this product this spring but have a question. Our deck was previously painted before we owned the home, will Deckover be fine to go over boards that have paint and some not? It's all chipping and worn.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
818 upvotes
licenced wrote:
Jun 10th, 2013 4:08 pm
Yes, just had our deck done two weeks ago. We're very pleased with the cover and how it hides the flaws.
How is the coating holding up?
× < >