Page 1 of 3

Behr Premium Deck Over, any reviews?

Posted: Jun 10th, 2013 2:11 pm
by bonterra
Couldn't find any reviews on the website.

Anybody used Behr Premium Deck Over yet? Saw it at Home Depot. Nice selection of colours.

http://www.behr.com/dsm-ext/v/index.jsp ... RD;view=17

Re: Behr Premium Deck Over, any reviews?

Posted: Jun 10th, 2013 4:08 pm
by licenced
Yes, just had our deck done two weeks ago. We're very pleased with the cover and how it hides the flaws.

The stain on our deck was flaking, it was first sanded but not all the stain lifted. Surprisingly deckover didn't cause any peeling of the stain, apparently sanding isn't necessary with the product, we choose to play safe. A couple things you should know:

Within minutes of applying it, white cloudy splotches appeared. The second coat did not clear it up. On day 2 we went to Home Depot to find out what the problem was, the paint staff never heard of this but as luck would have it the Behr rep was in-store. At first she said they knew about it when it was tested as it's caused by the amonia lifting residual moisture from the cedar boards. She admitted they knew this happened in the U.S but not in Canada and that they were working on a solution in the paint itself however she recommended wiping it down with Simple Green (which she provided gratis) or I think it's called denatured alcohol once it's thoroughly dry to lift the white splotches.

Anyway, it rained the very next day and the splotches completely disappeared without the aid of the Simple Green.

The biggest issue however was that the colour did not match the paint chip. We choose a taupey colour yet both cans mixed on two different days dried to a deeper red colour.

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 12:03 am
by iambored
Licenced, how about the texture? In the store, the texture looked more like a stucco texture. Does it feel fine to step on with bare feet?

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 12:31 am
by licenced
Iambored, we expected the same texture as the store which wasn't necessarily what we wanted but it was better than another deck cover they had. We only needed two coats which was applied with those rollers (many by the way) that look somewhat like cotton. The finish isn't smooth like paint but much smoother than the in-store display which I suspect was applied with a textured applicator and it feels fine on bare feet. It also does not scratch or mark easily unlike the stain we had previously which was just horrible for marks. FYI that was Benjamin Moore's supposed best stain.

I should mention, the deck is just over 200sf and two coats used one and a quarter cans.

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 7:42 am
by bonterra
licenced, thanks for all the information, it's very helpful. I think I'm going to try this stuff, we've always had good results with Behr products.

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 11:11 am
by mohitk
We'll be moving into a house with a deck that has never been stained (like in 7-8 yrs). Do you think its a good idea to simply go for a deck cover? Basically, clean/pressure wash the deck and then apply the cover.

Whats the life of one application?

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 11:48 am
by 930929930
licenced wrote:
Jun 10th, 2013 4:08 pm
Yes, just had our deck done two weeks ago. We're very pleased with the cover and how it hides the flaws.

The stain on our deck was flaking, it was first sanded but not all the stain lifted. Surprisingly deckover didn't cause any peeling of the stain, apparently sanding isn't necessary with the product, we choose to play safe. A couple things you should know:

Within minutes of applying it, white cloudy splotches appeared. The second coat did not clear it up. On day 2 we went to Home Depot to find out what the problem was, the paint staff never heard of this but as luck would have it the Behr rep was in-store. At first she said they knew about it when it was tested as it's caused by the amonia lifting residual moisture from the cedar boards. She admitted they knew this happened in the U.S but not in Canada and that they were working on a solution in the paint itself however she recommended wiping it down with Simple Green (which she provided gratis) or I think it's called denatured alcohol once it's thoroughly dry to lift the white splotches.

Anyway, it rained the very next day and the splotches completely disappeared without the aid of the Simple Green.

The biggest issue however was that the colour did not match the paint chip. We choose a taupey colour yet both cans mixed on two different days dried to a deeper red colour.
i went to home depot the other day and have seen the example they have put out(they have put out Behr deck over, Behr wood stain etc), and they look really nice.

@ licenced, did you need to fill any cracks or nail hole before your application? I have read from Behr website they stated it will fill cracks up to 1/4", but I am not sure if I should play safe and fill the cracks and holes before I apply the Deckover.
also, after your have applied, it fully covered the wood pattern right?

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 12:02 pm
by licenced
930929930, no I didn't fill any cracks or screw holes. The paint did a fabulous job covering the cracks but not the nail holes so if that bothers you, you should fill them. It did cover the wood pattern except for a few boards which seem to have been cut against the grain, however a third coat would have taken care of that.

There's a new test today, a bird left its breakfast, lunch and dinner on the deck we'll see if that has any effect.

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 1:36 pm
by 930929930
licenced wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 12:02 pm
930929930, no I didn't fill any cracks or screw holes. The paint did a fabulous job covering the cracks but not the nail holes so if that bothers you, you should fill them. It did cover the wood pattern except for a few boards which seem to have been cut against the grain, however a third coat would have taken care of that.

There's a new test today, a bird left its breakfast, lunch and dinner on the deck we'll see if that has any effect.
@ licenced, how's the feel if you walk on it bare feet? the "behr deckover" feels like peeling off at all around the edges or the corners(i had this feel when i was touching the sample they have put out in home depot, don't know if it was a poorly done job or the problem of the paint itself)?

sorry for so many questions, but since little kids would walk on it a lot if we were really going to use this product, so I want to make sure it is not too rough for their tiny feet?

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 3:13 pm
by crow
Very bad reviews from this site: http://www.deckstainhelp.com/behr-deck-stain-review/ . Main complain about peeling.

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 3:36 pm
by 930929930
crow wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 3:13 pm
Very bad reviews from this site: http://www.deckstainhelp.com/behr-deck-stain-review/ . Main complain about peeling.
the review was referring to a different product though.

but it seems like the site is saying Behr is a bad brand???!!! i don't know as I have never used it, but I have always thought they are reputable, no?

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 4:00 pm
by licenced
930, it's hard to describe. It's a non-slip feel similar to standing on micro bumps. It's very slightly rough but if comparing for example that to standing or walking on sand it's not even close and not at all unpleasant. As for the peeling I just tried to scrape the edges of boards with my nail and it wasn't budging or peeling. It's quite tough. The Home Depot I visited was at Markham and 14th with a finished mock deck that you could walk on, maybe the HD near you has one, take the kids and test it. As I noted it's only been two weeks and we're pleased, my review in a year may be an entirely different.
930929930 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 1:36 pm
@ licenced, how's the feel if you walk on it bare feet? the "behr deckover" feels like peeling off at all around the edges or the corners(i had this feel when i was touching the sample they have put out in home depot, don't know if it was a poorly done job or the problem of the paint itself)?

sorry for so many questions, but since little kids would walk on it a lot if we were really going to use this product, so I want to make sure it is not too rough for their tiny feet?
Those reviews are for the stain and frankly all the complaints match exactly what I had with the Benjamin Moore stain. I did notice that HD is also selling BM paints, maybe they made the Behr product or vice versa. For the record I don't like a lot of BM's paints either.
crow wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 3:13 pm
Added: I should note on the Deckover, before anyone buys it ask what would have to be done before applying a copletely different product over the top. I say that because it adheres almost like poured plastic which might make an over-application of something else very difficult and it doesn't appear that it will lift easily

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 4:38 pm
by 930929930
licenced wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 4:00 pm
930, it's hard to describe. It's a non-slip feel similar to standing on micro bumps. It's very slightly rough but if comparing for example that to standing or walking on sand it's not even close and not at all unpleasant. As for the peeling I just tried to scrape the edges of boards with my nail and it wasn't budging or peeling. It's quite tough. The Home Depot I visited was at Markham and 14th with a finished mock deck that you could walk on, maybe the HD near you has one, take the kids and test it. As I noted it's only been two weeks and we're pleased, my review in a year may be an entirely different.

Those reviews are for the stain and frankly all the complaints match exactly what I had with the Benjamin Moore stain. I did notice that HD is also selling BM paints, maybe they made the Behr product or vice versa. For the record I don't like a lot of BM's paints either.

Added: I should note on the Deckover, before anyone buys it ask what would have to be done before applying a copletely different product over the top. I say that because it adheres almost like poured plastic which might make an over-application of something else very difficult and it doesn't appear that it will lift easily
Thanks Licenced!!! The home depot in my area don't have a mock deck, although they have the sample on display but they did it on a 2" X 3" board, so I can't really walk on it.

but anyways, thanks very much for your input!!! most likely i will go for this product!

by the way, the product said one can of these covers 50 sq ft with 2 coats, was it accurate?

Posted: Jun 11th, 2013 4:53 pm
by licenced
You're welcome 930. The square foot coverage per the can is probably correct if it's applied with the thick coat applicator - the store mock deck had it plastered on and there was significant texture just to look at it. We wanted a less thick look so chose the roller I mentioned which spread it more thinly and there is no visual texture. Went through 8 rollers though probably because it wasn't meant for this type of product.
930929930 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2013 4:38 pm
Thanks Licenced!!! The home depot in my area don't have a mock deck, although they have the sample on display but they did it on a 2" X 3" board, so I can't really walk on it.

but anyways, thanks very much for your input!!! most likely i will go for this product!

by the way, the product said one can of these covers 50 sq ft with 2 coats, was it accurate?
My deck is wet right now, when it dries I'll try to remember to take a close up pic. As I mentioned, be careful of the colour, we chose the Wood Chip SC-111 it truned out to be between that and Padre Brown SC-105 which is the colour to the right of it on their paint brochure. We like it, but it's not what we originally were after.

Posted: Jun 12th, 2013 3:58 am
by Flymeaway
Thank you for the review. I have been trying to decide on Behr deck over or cloverdale sharkskin.