Travel

Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore shopping tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 3:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1023 posts
349 upvotes
Montréal

Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore shopping tips?

Anything worth buying as a Canadian from these places? I have 4 empty suitcases capacity to bring back.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2170 posts
807 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I like teas (loose leaf, or even tea dust) for making Indo-Malay teas from Malaysia (same stuff available in Singapore but a lot more expensive, generally). Some sauces and spices hard to get in Canada.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1651 posts
1244 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote:
Oct 5th, 2019 12:17 pm
Anything worth buying as a Canadian from these places? I have 4 empty suitcases capacity to bring back.
No, unless you like low quality knock offs orlocal food stuffs

Any well known/brand name stuff will be same or higher price but more selection of high end items as Is typical of most Asian cities
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2170 posts
807 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
In Malaysia, you can get batik clothing, some even hand printed/dyed. However, the cheap stuff is usually from Indonesia.

I like to replenish my wardrobe with stuff from Decathlon but you have that in Québec.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1651 posts
1244 upvotes
michiebaby wrote:
Oct 5th, 2019 11:02 pm
Belacan paste, Kaya spread
You can buy Kaya spread here. They have the main brands in Malaysia here (GTA) as well in Asian supermarkets . I do get belacan paste from Malaysia though as I find the ones here not as good
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2170 posts
807 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
StatsGuy wrote:
Oct 6th, 2019 9:27 am
You can buy Kaya spread here. They have the main brands in Malaysia here (GTA) as well in Asian supermarkets . I do get belacan paste from Malaysia though as I find the ones here not as good
The fresh stuff is nicer. What brands are here? Yeo's/Yeo Hap Seng?

Best way to get belacan is a dried block and then grill it to get it ready to make into a paste. That process will terrify the neighborhood. Strangely, I've never eaten the stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1651 posts
1244 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 6th, 2019 12:27 pm
The fresh stuff is nicer. What brands are here? Yeo's/Yeo Hap Seng?

Best way to get belacan is a dried block and then grill it to get it ready to make into a paste. That process will terrify the neighborhood. Strangely, I've never eaten the stuff.
Yup, Yeo's and hap sent

Ya I get the belacan as a dried block and keep it wrapped in fridge. I don't grill it or anything before use, just add some hot water mix it a bit and throw it in. It's just easier/faster and will mix in some jar shrimp paste too
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10938 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
batcave wrote:
Oct 5th, 2019 2:40 pm
Fresh durian Face With Tears Of Joy
This popped up in my news feed today, and I had to laugh: https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2019 ... ing-fruit/

And keep in mind it's illegal in Singapore on the metro :) I also found Singapore to be the most expensive location, given that it's nearly on par with CAD.

For shopping, I find Beijing not to be as good as Shanghai for trying to find cheap deals, especially in the fakes market (Shanghai Science and Tech market is the best option, but even then they're less prone to deep negotiations ever since the Nanjing West Market shut down). In Beijing, there are two malls for bargaining and some fakes - Silk Street Market, and Hongqiao Pearl Market, both on the metro. There is also Wangfujing Street, with some big malls, souvenir stalls, etc., near the Forbidden City.
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1060 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
I'd get on a plane that smelled of Durian. I don't mind the smell!!
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2861 posts
206 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote:
Oct 5th, 2019 12:17 pm
LOL I would buy all fake Canada Goose stuff and other at Beijing fake mall. After visitng that mall every time I seee somone on TTC with brand name purse, jackets, shoes I roll my eye. LOL.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1060 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote:
Oct 7th, 2019 11:04 am
LOL I would buy all fake Canada Goose stuff and other at Beijing fake mall. After visitng that mall every time I seee somone on TTC with brand name purse, jackets, shoes I roll my eye. LOL.
Never been but curious.... are the fake goods there really good fakes (very hard to tell if it's a fake) or poor fakes (easily tell)?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11333 posts
4626 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 5th, 2019 2:50 pm
I like teas (loose leaf, or even tea dust) for making Indo-Malay teas from Malaysia (same stuff available in Singapore but a lot more expensive, generally). Some sauces and spices hard to get in Canada.
If you are looking for tea, I would suggest Beijing is actually a great place to look for tea. They have a market place that is at least a kilometre long and has multiple floors. If that's too much choice (and it really is for a quick visit), then they have a few local chains (like Wuyutai) which are pretty good.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4845 posts
1013 upvotes
I've been to Beijing and Singapore. Frankly...nothing.

For Beijing, you might as well go to Wal Mart in Canada instead. Many things in Canada are made in China anyways. We also have plenty of imports from China if you want Chinese snacks and goods. And I don't trust the sellers in China. You could get fleeced easily. Negotiating is a hassle, unless you actually like the thrill of negotiating. But you are always the one to get screwed because the sellers know much more than you.

For Singapore, I didn't find anything truly unique. It's a modern and multicultural city (Chinese/Arab/Indian/Tamil). Canada is multicultural too so you can probably find specialty items here as well. Singapore is also not cheap. You are not going to find much of a price advantage in shopping in Singapore. I snuck some meat jerky and brought home. Good stuff. That's one thing I really liked in Singapore.