Off Topic Archive

Locked: Is being lazy a choice or a trait?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2011 7:14 am
Tags:
None
Mar 11, 2011
264 posts
3 upvotes
Canada

Is being lazy a choice or a trait?

I work with a lot of clients who just refuse to put in the effort after spending a huge amount of money on personal training lessons. As a result, they come back with either sub par results or none at all. It just kills me as a coach, motivator and trainer to see this happen on a consistent basis. I am certainly noticing a trend in laziness. I am having trouble understanding why.

For those of you who are lazy, is it just choice or is it inherent?
Share:
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9226 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
Way too much time spent travelling on the roads. Roads always jammed, very disgusting drive, fatiguing and aching, making peeps grumpy whiny. Then peeps feel lazy.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2011
264 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
cheapmeister wrote:
Sep 20th, 2011 7:53 pm
Way too much time spent travelling on the roads. Roads always jammed, very disgusting drive, fatiguing and aching, making peeps grumpy whiny. Then peeps feel lazy.

My morning commute is 2 hrs each ways. It has never bogged me down.

Thanks for the interesting read.
Sep 18, 2011
7 posts
EAST YORK, Ontario
IThinkFit wrote:
Sep 20th, 2011 7:49 pm
I work with a lot of clients who just refuse to put in the effort after spending a huge amount of money on personal training lessons. As a result, they come back with either sub par results or none at all. It just kills me as a coach, motivator and trainer to see this happen on a consistent basis. I am certainly noticing a trend in laziness. I am having trouble understanding why.

:arrowu:
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12904 posts
1106 upvotes
I think like anything, it's a bit of both.

I mean, if you treat your body like crap for many years, then the burdens you face will weigh heavier than they would someone who has been in good shape their whole life and recently fell off the wagon. So, you really have to define what you mean by inherent. Inherent from birth, or inherent from the time the person first attempts a challenge?

I would say that people with slow metabolism, for example, face greater challenges getting and staying in shape. So, I guess you could argue there is an inherent disadvantage that can lead to a more sedentary lifestyle. The same with people who have trouble concentrating. They face burdens when attempting anything for long periods of time.

People have to work with what they are given.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4694 posts
180 upvotes
IThinkFit wrote:

Were your clients very fat and out of shape to begin with?
:eek:
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
2953 posts
223 upvotes
Aurora
IThinkFit wrote:

Why do you use the term LAZY in such a general way? A more accurate expression would be why they aren't dedicating themselves to fitness according to your ideals on what priorities should be.

I'm 5' 8". 5 years ago I was 155 lbs, 10% bodyfat, run 40km per week, and bench 1.5x my bodyweight. 5 years ago my wife and I had a child and moved to the burbs. Now my stats are ...less.

I am not lazy. I keep reasonably fit but my priorities have shifted and time is spent on other equally important things.

BTW, most average Joe's don't need a personal trainer. That in itself is a crutch. Doesn't take a genious to figure out the Exercise-Diet-Genetics relationship. It's a matter of a shift in priorities and them hoping to reclaim past success by throwing money at it.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
choice
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14211 posts
1022 upvotes
Scarborough
Lazy by choice, because you know back in dah sweatshop you have to work, no choice, or they do dah beat you.
I used to be dah good, but then I took a chop stick to dah eye. So now I just...
Buy buy buy!

[size=0]-Asus P6T | Core i7 920 @4.0ghz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair H80 | Seasonic X-750W | XFX GTS250 1GB | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | WD Black 500GB, 1TB | WD 2TB Green | Antec 902
-13" MacBook Pro // Lenovo Thinkpad T410 | Core i5
-Acer AOD255 | Atom N550
-Asus Transformer TF101[/size]
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Personal trainers are a big scam. Im in great shape and dont even have a gym membership let alone a personal trainer (I just run, bike, climb mountians and do p90x at home... daily, or multiple times a day)

Lazyness I think has do do with a how youre currently feeling. An adrenaline boost can stop lazyness. You get these more frequently if you are in better shape. For me, certain songs combined with certain thoughts, provide me with an adrenaline boost. Anytime im feeling lazy, i just listen to a song really loudly, and think about something I know will work and I instantly get pumped. I can be in the laziest mood ever, and that always works for me.

The problem is feeling lazy and people not having a trick to get out of it like I do. When you feel lazy and attempt something flat out, it becomes so tedious the thought of doing it bothers you. So yeah, not really a choice or a trait. More of a mood/feeling. I suggest you recommend your clients try something to change their mood everyday when its time to workout. They could do it with music like me, or perhaps looking at motivational pictures or a video they can pull out. Watching parkour videos also gets me pumped, because I feel the more I work out, the closer I am to being able to do the cool stuff in those videos
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking this was related to people who live on welfare or something lol.

If you're talking about losing weight, I think it's more of a choice than a trait. People who are overweight tend to have less motivation because they think it's hopeless- they already feel like they are at the bottom of the barrel, so why bother? The extent that the "trait" part kicks in is when you look at their upbringing. If they were always "meh, whatever" while growing up, then they will likely have that same attitude as adults.

I don't believe being lazy is biological trait. You learn it from your parents and your peers.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Also, people might be less motivated to work out as they dont see a point. I have lots of friends who dont do any excersize and have ugly beer guts but they still have hot girlfriends and good paying jobs. What motivation would they have for working out?

Personally I love that feeling of raw strength you get when youre in shape. Knowing you could be hanging from a cliff by 1 hand on just your fingertips and be able to fully pull yourself back to saftey. Knowing that if youre being chased by something dangerous (animal, person) you can run fast, long and climb obstacles to escape. Knowing that if somebody steals something from you and runs, you can chase them and beat them down, or fight back if somebody wants to start trouble with you. Knowing that if a zombie apocolypse ever occurs, you would be one of those cool badass dudes who survive like in the movies (although you know deep down Zombies are not going to happen)

The problem is if you have never been in great shape, you dont know what this feeling is like. I think its much easier for somebody whos been in shape and lost it to be motivated to get it back over people who have never been in really good shape.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
5616 posts
275 upvotes
choice.

i was 218 when i was 18 yrs, 6 foot, around 30% bf. had summer off, spent 3 months in the gym and only ate what i cooked for myself. Lost 30 pounds. Roll up 3-4 years later afgter college and beer and bar/crap food and im fluctuating between 200 and 215.

lazy? by choice. i could go lose another 30 pounds and be all fit(ter) but i know for a fact that ill still drink ocasional alcohol, ill still like to eat some sweets at random and i still would like to eat some of my more favourite foods. Given also the fact that i have a slow metabolism from medication (which i took to get rid of asthma and it worked), its like they say, work with what you got. I also look very weird if im not a bit more well rounded. I cannot be skinny. I have a big torso in terms of structure, not muscle, and more built like a boxer type than a guy who jogs or sprints.

Its also the fact that while i do care how i look, its more of a keep clean thing. I dont feel the need to attract a mate, nor do i feel the need to be with someone to make kids with and settle down and do what every other sheep is doing, so i put less emphasis on my physique.

Any change in my look will be most likely triggered due to health, not for beauty purposes. I know people like to look in the mirror and flex and its cool, for me even when i worked out for 3 months and felt good about it and saw results, it didnt mean much. Im more concerned with my diet due to its effects on my heart and my liver as well as pancrease more than exterior stuff, so the only way to change how i look is to have a lifestyle change as well, based on the need for better health.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
It is always a choice.
× < >