None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11453 posts
1630 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Being truthful vs being practical

Do you choose to be truthful ("keeping it real") or do you choose to be practical (choosing not to argue)? Here's a simple example:

Your mom makes you a ham sandwich for lunch every day of the year. You are sick of eating ham sandwiches and tell your mom to stop making them for you. Your mom refuses to stop, even when you make your own sandwiches to eat. Now, every day, there are ham sandwiches piling up in the fridge, and your mom berates you for being an ungrateful son/daughter when you tell her to stop making ham sandwiches. Do you continue arguing with your mom about the ham sandwiches, or do u furtively take them and throw them in the dumpster in the alley every day, thereby avoiding arguments. Clearly, you are "right" in telling your mom to stop making those ham sandwiches, but she will not stop. Comments? The ham sandwiches are not "free", by the way.
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4095 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
if its towards strangers on a forum, i like to be truthful. Towards, fam, prob practical
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11453 posts
1630 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Another example: You are friends with two people who are in a relationship. You see one of them heavily making out with a third person (hooker) at a party in Vegas. Do you tell your other friend about the incident or keep your mouth shut and pretend you know nothing? After coming back from Vegas, no one mentions what happened in Vegas, and the couple is all lovey-dovey with each other. If you snitch, chances are that both friends will discontinue their friendship with you in the end. However, whenever you see the couple's public displays of affection, it disgusts you because you KNOW there is duplicity involved in their relationship, and u can't help but have a visceral reaction. Are u willing to take the bullet for being the messenger?
Dec 28, 2010
351 posts
110 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 2:03 pm
Another example: You are friends with two people who are in a relationship. You see one of them heavily making out with a third person (hooker) at a party in Vegas. Do you tell your other friend about the incident or keep your mouth shut and pretend you know nothing? After coming back from Vegas, no one mentions what happened in Vegas, and the couple is all lovey-dovey with each other. If you snitch, chances are that both friends will discontinue their friendship with you in the end. However, whenever you see the couple's public displays of affection, it disgusts you because you KNOW there is duplicity involved in their relationship, and u can't help but have a visceral reaction. Are u willing to take the bullet for being the messenger?
Yes. Turn it around. Your spouse voluntary accepts fluids from a third party. Would you want someone else to tell you? If you are my friend you would tell me.
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5700 posts
1106 upvotes
1) If it directly involves me, 95% of the time I'm truthful to a fault. I mean, hurting people's feelings, arguing about the truth (even if the other person is completely unreasonable, clearly doesn't want to hear the truth.) This is probably the lowest EQ part of my personality. I know how futile it is to argue with someone who won't take to logic or reflecting on how their shortcomings are pushed onto you, but I guess there is always a part of me that needs to try to "correct" things this way.

This sometimes happens when someone is trying to "help" me but just getting in the way...lol...sorry.

2) If it does not directly involve me, I tend to turn a blind eye. e.g. I might yell at the one friend in confidence, but I don't want to be the instrument or messenger of destruction. Don't get mixed up in other people's BS, unless you are closer to one than the other, then you stay loyal to the one you're closer to.

P.S. the ham sandwich story was my elementary school years. LOL
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
183 upvotes
Both. Change my tune to time and place. Not every situation calls for truth.

I'd throw the sandwiches in dumpster if my energy is getting wasted in attempting to reason.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4951 posts
409 upvotes
Being truthful and practical needn't be mutually exclusive.

1) sandwiches: no need to argue. I'd just leave the sandwiches in the fridge and ma can interpret it however she wants and get worked up about it. That's on her.

2) if it bothered me, I'd talk to my friend about what went down. I probably wouldn't feel the need to communicate my observations to the naive party. Or maybe they do know? You can never really know everything about another couple's relationship.
Feb 24, 2004
305 posts
55 upvotes
The world is not black and white. It is impossible to apply one rule "being truthful or practical" for every instances. Choose which battles matters to you.
Jan 17, 2010
195 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
The opposite of practical is technical isn't it?

If I feel the person I'm talking to cannot handle the truth, I'll be practical. Because when I get technical/truthful, it gets serious.
Aug 15, 2015
924 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
Your examples sucks.

Your question was clear enough. I am ignoring your examples. I had an answer immediately after reading your question.

You can be truthful and practical at the same time. However, what is practical to me may not be practical to you (aka subjective).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11453 posts
1630 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 7:24 pm
Your examples sucks.,,
How can examples of real-life moral dilemmas suck?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Aug 15, 2015
924 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
Becks wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:22 pm
The way you asked your questions at the end of your example already showed that you are truthful and not practical.

I could have answered your question without your example because I understand the meaning of truthful and practical.
Aug 15, 2015
924 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
Becks wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:22 pm
What was your moral dilemma? You have no problem hurting your mother's feeling and wasting food at the same time. You could have ate it instead of throwing it away. I am assuming the sandwiches are edible and not poison.