• Jun 16th, 2019 1:32 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1634 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
szostalo wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:19 am
I have never had an issue with a Chromecast and own 6 (2 video and 4 audio). If yours is 4k capable I'm interested in buying it from you.
I have a Firestick too, but it has a built in microphone that cannot be disabled, and since I like my privacy it is rarely plugged in.
Isn't the microphone off until you use the remote? The privacy issue is not minor, though most don't seem to care as they willingly lay their whole lives out on Facebook and other sites.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1634 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
TheImp wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:26 am
Bell screwed the pooch and a lot of people couldn’t watch the end of the last Raptors game. Did not affect anyone with regular service.. just ones who use an app or streaming like this.

Consider that before you sign up.
Was wondering about that. Nevertheless, the service has very reliable for us. I far prefer it to the TV receivers from the 1960s.
Dec 24, 2007
778 posts
697 upvotes
BC
pmcd wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 1:43 pm
Isn't the microphone off until you use the remote? The privacy issue is not minor, though most don't seem to care as they willingly lay their whole lives out on Facebook and other sites.
Ditto, the mic is only on while you hold down the mic button. Even though it is powered by Alexa don't confuse it with an Alexa Echo smart speaker that is always listening.
Jun 15, 2018
460 posts
145 upvotes
szostalo wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:19 am
I have never had an issue with a Chromecast and own 6 (2 video and 4 audio). If yours is 4k capable I'm interested in buying it from you.
I have a Firestick too, but it has a built in microphone that cannot be disabled, and since I like my privacy it is rarely plugged in.
Sure is 4k. Why would I sell it to anyone? When could just return to Walmart for full price on a gift card?

You wear your tinfoil hat? The mic isn't in unless you push the button on the remote.
Feb 22, 2017
65 posts
82 upvotes
toronto, ON
It costs $99 for 15Mbps?!? Wow, that's just terrible.
Oct 13, 2009
928 posts
422 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 1:46 pm
Was wondering about that. Nevertheless, the service has very reliable for us. I far prefer it to the TV receivers from the 1960s.
I also got affected by this. So brutal because I subscribed to it specifically because the online streams are unreliable sometimes.

If you contact bell, they will give you a "goodwill credit" for the outage.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... tal-final/
:rolleyes:
Jan 23, 2013
111 posts
90 upvotes
Artwebb1986 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 1:56 pm
Sure is 4k. Why would I sell it to anyone? When could just return to Walmart for full price on a gift card?

You wear your tinfoil hat? The mic isn't in unless you push the button on the remote.
Yes, I wear a tinfoil hat. Have a nice day.
Aug 8, 2018
41 posts
17 upvotes
Kareth wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 1:59 pm
It costs $99 for 15Mbps?!? Wow, that's just terrible.
Ya lol thats ridiculous especially when I was able to get Gigabit internet + TV + Home Phone + basic Home security for 2 years from Rogers
Oct 3, 2012
13 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville
Thought I'd chime in because I recently signed up for this promo. I received 1gigabit service + alt tv premium for 84.95 a month. I also get the Chromecast. I am a new subscriber to bell. I imagine the promo was tied to the deal. I didnt sign a contract and it isnt an introductory rate. It is a bill rebate that they apply to my account that is ongoing. The rates will most likely rise but the rebate will remain the same. But when they do, ill probably jump to Cogeco or start. Seems like jumping back and forth is the only way to do it these days.
May 20, 2008
85 posts
15 upvotes
I was offered this deal as well.

I was told (not sure if accurate) that if I did just alttv (basic), I would not get the chromecast.

Details of my offer:
Internet 1 gig down, 750 up, unlimited
Alt tv (basic) + crave
Modem included

$69.99 - ongoing (I need to remain an alt tv subscriber)

If I did Alt tv premium it would be another $10, but I would also get a chromecast.