• May 3rd, 2016 11:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4934 posts
925 upvotes
Thornhill

Bell Canada Lies! Fake names are used by their representatives

Bell Canada was caught in their new Scam. They heard how everyone complains how their India based Tech support are utterly clueless and the fact their accents are so strong, nobody could understand them. Their present chat support(tech and otherwise) are using fake names like John, Michael, Raymond, Charles. LoL. They are still based in India, same Indian dudes. Yet, they are now use fake western names to appear "closer" to us. Like it's going to help!! I personally find it stupid and pretty scammy. Now I don't know if they make up their names on the spot or have one assigned. Misrepresentation and fake names is so low, it's just makes me cringe.
And all that just to save $3/h in wages. No company that outsources support to India are loved by their clients due to pretty crappy service. I may have understood that if they were saving real money, but the difference what they pay those folks here and our US and Canadian based companies are is very minimal. Not to mention it's been known that central Europe tech support is 1000X better and speak 1000x better English( eg, Romania based).

Next time you'll have a question and will have a chat with Thomas, who can't seem to answer basic questions, know that you are speaking to some dude in India with barely any knowledge of what he is doing
Share:
31 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2729 posts
854 upvotes
Montreal
The fact that they outsource to unqualified Indians doesn't mean that every Indian is unqualified. That's just you generalizing.. Also, Bell pays employees 15-16$ per hour in Canada, are you sure that those Indian workers are getting paid 12-13$ per hour? That's a lot of money in India so I highly doubt it.

I've met plenty of Asians who give themselves English names so that doesn't surprise me. Bell is a pretty crappy company but I'm convinced that you are misinformed.

IMO, the only department they shouldn't outsource is tech support and they should keep 50% of their customer service in Canada.
Apr 21, 2016
91 posts
90 upvotes
Not sure why you think it is a lie. A name is just a name. It's no different than any Asian that chooses a English name.

On the other hand if the rep is giving you bad information about the product they are selling to gain a sale then I would consider that a lie.
Just an average netizen. :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6021 posts
574 upvotes
SW Ontario
I don't tell the public my real name where I work. So what?

It's not only bell that does this with their support chats.
Apr 11, 2016
50 posts
11 upvotes
Who cares? Might save someone on the other end of a chat session having to put up with a racist idiot. No big deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2771 posts
1503 upvotes
Canadia
dazz wrote:
May 1st, 2016 6:01 pm
Bell Canada was caught in their new Scam. They heard how everyone complains how their India based Tech support are utterly clueless and the fact their accents are so strong, nobody could understand them. Their present chat support(tech and otherwise) are using fake names like John, Michael, Raymond, Charles. LoL. They are still based in India, same Indian dudes. Yet, they are now use fake western names to appear "closer" to us. Like it's going to help!! I personally find it stupid and pretty scammy. Now I don't know if they make up their names on the spot or have one assigned. Misrepresentation and fake names is so low, it's just makes me cringe.
And all that just to save $3/h in wages. No company that outsources support to India are loved by their clients due to pretty crappy service. I may have understood that if they were saving real money, but the difference what they pay those folks here and our US and Canadian based companies are is very minimal. Not to mention it's been known that central Europe tech support is 1000X better and speak 1000x better English( eg, Romania based).

Next time you'll have a question and will have a chat with Thomas, who can't seem to answer basic questions, know that you are speaking to some dude in India with barely any knowledge of what he is doing.
One of my best friends called himself "Martin" all the way through high school, simply because people thought that having a non-English name was strange.

It seems that the primary issue here is that Bell's outsourced customer service is poor quality -- the reps are poorly trained and unhelpful, while also being hard to understand because they speak accented English.

The fact that they've given themselves Anglicized names is secondary. I suspect most Canadians would be perplexed by names like Aarav, Reyansh and Shaurya. If they were well trained and helpful, the fact that they're calling themselves "Adam, Roy and Shaun" wouldn't matter in the least.

That said, Bell should realize that they've outsourced the public face of their company to the lowest bidder... with predictable results.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4331 posts
763 upvotes
Abbottabad
My name is Xiao Zhi but I speak perfect English without a Chinois accent.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
If you request service in French I think you get transferred to a Canadian. You could go that route then speak in English to them :D
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30431 posts
4995 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kenze wrote:
May 1st, 2016 6:24 pm
Bell is a pretty crappy company but I'm convinced that you are misinformed.
This sums it up pretty well.

I would hardly call what Bell is doing a scam
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4934 posts
925 upvotes
Thornhill
kenze wrote:
May 1st, 2016 6:24 pm
The fact that they outsource to unqualified Indians doesn't mean that every Indian is unqualified. That's just you generalizing.. Also, Bell pays employees 15-16$ per hour in Canada, are you sure that those Indian workers are getting paid 12-13$ per hour? That's a lot of money in India so I highly doubt it.

I've met plenty of Asians who give themselves English names so that doesn't surprise me. Bell is a pretty crappy company but I'm convinced that you are misinformed.

IMO, the only department they shouldn't outsource is tech support and they should keep 50% of their customer service in Canada.
A lot of tech companies outsourcing to India pay $10-14/h. And I've never had a pleasant experience with India based Tech support. If you google it, you'll see that a ton of people agree with my opinion. The level of education there is lower( behind). Through my previous job I had to deal with a lot of IT guys and those who came with their IT education from India were far behind and every IT guy here thought the same thing. And tech support is the thing most companies outsource. It's usually India or Philippines. Both countries are well behind our standards. It's like comparing Harvard against George Brown College... This is why Canada and USA doesn't accept degrees in some fields from certain countries! It's common sense.
Ever had to call Microsoft? Many who had know how those people on the other line are useless and clueless. MS has been outsourcing to India for ages. It's been MS's biggest source of complaints.

There's nothing wrong with India or Philippines, which just shouldn't outsource to countries with lower education standards
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4934 posts
925 upvotes
Thornhill
WebDesignerGirl wrote:
May 1st, 2016 6:38 pm
Not sure why you think it is a lie. A name is just a name. It's no different than any Asian that chooses a English name.

On the other hand if the rep is giving you bad information about the product they are selling to gain a sale then I would consider that a lie.
Because it IS a lie. 99% of Chinese change their names, because that's how they are used to and because everyone is doing it( John's effect...like iphones). Most other immigrants, including those from other Asian countries don't change their names. Indians don't ever change their names. Never met one, never heard of it. It's very rare. As I said, Bell was receiving a lot of complaints about very heavy accents and horrible technical support so they are trying to "rebrand" in their own crappy way
Apr 21, 2016
91 posts
90 upvotes
dazz wrote:
May 2nd, 2016 1:00 am
Because it IS a lie. 99% of Chinese change their names, because that's how they are used to and because everyone is doing it( John's effect...like iphones). Most other immigrants, including those from other Asian countries don't change their names. Indians don't ever change their names. Never met one, never heard of it. It's very rare. As I said, Bell was receiving a lot of complaints about very heavy accents and horrible technical support so they are trying to "rebrand" in their own crappy way
You just basically just picking what is normal to you and what isn't. If Chinese do it then why can't Indians ? Because you never met one ?

Based on what you said then all the Chinese people that use English names are lying... :cheesygri
Just an average netizen. :razz:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3126 posts
1803 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I doubt tech companies pay $12-14 an hour for outsourced employees, they are usually 10000-15000 rupees a month (which is around $300) each. And this is considered high income for a country where average wages are only 3000 rupees a month.

Most places don't use real names either. I don't even know why you're so surprised. They all have their own identification numbers which is what you should be asking for. For rogers, whenever you make a call and get a problem resolved, you also ask for name, ID #, and interaction ID. Same for Bell, you ask for identification #.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1891 posts
860 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP personally it doesn't really matter what their name is, because all you will need is their employee ID and/or Reference number if you need help later on. And personally, not too sure where the Tech support for Bell Canada is, because honestly for the 2 1/2 years or so that I've had their internet service, never once did I have to call them. It's been perfecto for me, and I live in Brampton! But I did call Bell to dispute my monthly charges as the price of internet has gone up, but I guess their billing dept is located in Canada (Got a message before someone picked up the phone, which went like this... "Proudly Serving you from Canada").

So OP, what made you bring up this issue?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4331 posts
763 upvotes
Abbottabad
So much subtle racism in this thread lol.