Bell Canada is a rip off company!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2009 11:37 am
Sep 29, 2008
1 posts
3 upvotes
Brockville

Bell Canada is a rip off company!!!

I made the terrible mistake of choosing Bell Canada! When I initially contacted Bell for a complete home package (phone, internet, satellite) I wanted to know EXACTLY what my monthly total would be before signing up- as I had problems in the past with Bell "upcharging" all the time. You expect your bill to be so much, but then when you receive it, it's alot higher...try and contact Bell to rectify this issue- they just give you the run around. So this time around, before choosing Bell, I wanted to know my final amount. The sales rep assured my that Bell Canada has diligently worked HARD to correct the bad publicity they had several years back, and that they CARE about their customers...yeah we'll get to that in a sec. So the girl gives me a total of $129 and change...this was INCLUDING TAXES..she said that it could be off by a dollar here or there once everything is set up and running. With this new account set up, I was offered 3 MONTHS FREE ON ALL THE SERVICES- this is posted on Bell Canada's website bell.ca...
So 2 months go by, and then I get a disconnection notice from Bell as I owe them $341!! I contact their superior cusotmer serivce, where the gentleman was very nice, after expalining the situation of 3 months for free, he said he was adjusting the bill back at zero, but that I would be responsible for the November bill. I confirmed the total of that bill would be $129~, and he said yes- just add up the services on my current bill and then minus $15 for multiple service discount.
So about 2 weeks go by- I get a call from the rudest customer service rep from Bell Canada. Apparently I again owed Bell $341!! I told the lady this situation was already rectified (and gave her the name and employee number of the man that corrected the problem 2 weeks earlier). She was incredibly nasty, saying that there were notes on my file, and for me to hold on while she read them. I told her I didn't have time for this, and that she should read the notes prior to calling up clients to harass them about a bill that was corrected.

So now 2 more weeks pass. I get another "past due" notice in the mail for $341- so once again I contact their stellar customer service team, just to be once again rudely greeted. The gentleman said that he doubt's very much that I got 3 months of free service, and that my account was seriously past due, and that I must pay $341 to prevent disconnection. I once again tried to explain that I did not owe that amount, and that I owed $130 for the month of November. He said he knew nothing of this, and that I would have to call back and speak with the original man that adjusted my account, but until then he wanted to know when I would be making the payment of $341!!! I told him that I have already made the payment, which I owed of $130 and I would not make another payment until the following month, when it became due. The gentleman proceeded to insult my character and intelligence, so I ended the call.

An hour later, Bell Canada disconnected my phone line!!! Now let's forget the fact that they cut my phone after receiving payment, how in God's heaven does he want me to contact the man who adjusted my account if he can't phone me back?? What idiot retards! I called back Bell Canada and told them to cancel my services, I would go with another company that respect's their customers.

Ironic that once again, Bell tries to scam the consumer with upcharging and bogus charges just to rip people off...they think that we will get so frustrated with their multiple departments that are NEVER open at the same time, and just give up and pay their bill....not this time. Bell Canada may you rot in hell you thieving excuse for a company!

I will continue to warm all I can of how terrible a company Bell is with their scams! :mad: :mad: :mad:
35 replies
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
That's why I stay away from Bell as they are a truly rip off company. I gave my internet and phone service to Cybersurf (PS. I only use pre-paid CC with them, as they are all good till you try to cancel!) and sadly I'm keeping my cell with Rogers until a new service provider come to town (hopefully soon).
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
Nepean
musicmommy wrote:
Jan 6th, 2009 10:54 am
I made the terrible mistake of choosing Bell Canada! When I initially contacted Bell for a complete home package (phone, internet, satellite) I wanted to know EXACTLY what my monthly total would be before signing up- as I had problems in the past with Bell "upcharging" all the time. You expect your bill to be so much, but then when you receive it, it's alot higher...try and contact Bell to rectify this issue- they just give you the run around. So this time around, before choosing Bell, I wanted to know my final amount. The sales rep assured my that Bell Canada has diligently worked HARD to correct the bad publicity they had several years back, and that they CARE about their customers...yeah we'll get to that in a sec. So the girl gives me a total of $129 and change...this was INCLUDING TAXES..she said that it could be off by a dollar here or there once everything is set up and running. With this new account set up, I was offered 3 MONTHS FREE ON ALL THE SERVICES- this is posted on Bell Canada's website bell.ca...
So 2 months go by, and then I get a disconnection notice from Bell as I owe them $341!! I contact their superior cusotmer serivce, where the gentleman was very nice, after expalining the situation of 3 months for free, he said he was adjusting the bill back at zero, but that I would be responsible for the November bill. I confirmed the total of that bill would be $129~, and he said yes- just add up the services on my current bill and then minus $15 for multiple service discount.
So about 2 weeks go by- I get a call from the rudest customer service rep from Bell Canada. Apparently I again owed Bell $341!! I told the lady this situation was already rectified (and gave her the name and employee number of the man that corrected the problem 2 weeks earlier). She was incredibly nasty, saying that there were notes on my file, and for me to hold on while she read them. I told her I didn't have time for this, and that she should read the notes prior to calling up clients to harass them about a bill that was corrected.

So now 2 more weeks pass. I get another "past due" notice in the mail for $341- so once again I contact their stellar customer service team, just to be once again rudely greeted. The gentleman said that he doubt's very much that I got 3 months of free service, and that my account was seriously past due, and that I must pay $341 to prevent disconnection. I once again tried to explain that I did not owe that amount, and that I owed $130 for the month of November. He said he knew nothing of this, and that I would have to call back and speak with the original man that adjusted my account, but until then he wanted to know when I would be making the payment of $341!!! I told him that I have already made the payment, which I owed of $130 and I would not make another payment until the following month, when it became due. The gentleman proceeded to insult my character and intelligence, so I ended the call.

An hour later, Bell Canada disconnected my phone line!!! Now let's forget the fact that they cut my phone after receiving payment, how in God's heaven does he want me to contact the man who adjusted my account if he can't phone me back?? What idiot retards! I called back Bell Canada and told them to cancel my services, I would go with another company that respect's their customers.

Ironic that once again, Bell tries to scam the consumer with upcharging and bogus charges just to rip people off...they think that we will get so frustrated with their multiple departments that are NEVER open at the same time, and just give up and pay their bill....not this time. Bell Canada may you rot in hell you thieving excuse for a company!

I will continue to warm all I can of how terrible a company Bell is with their scams! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Rogers and bell are about the same.The smaller companys are the better way to go.
Mar 2, 2006
419 posts
31 upvotes
So many companies have fallen to this poor level of service that your title could easily be "<--blank company--> is a rip off company!!!"

My suggestion is to record your conversations with a recorder, especially when entering new contracts or disputing anything- I use my mp3 player - and save the file for reference. They always say "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes" when you call customer service anway, so I just make sure it's being done in my favour.

Then you can escalate the issue higher up, and if that fails, report them to the appropriate governement regulatory agency, contact the consumer reporter at your paper/tv station, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6117 posts
979 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Im going to have to disagree here. This isnt a scam. Poor customer service? Yes. Poor internal communication? Yes. Poor well, everything? Yes. Scam? I think not. I dont think Bell had any intention of your situation happening, so I dont think they are a 'scam' company. Just a very bad one.

*Edit*
I do agree with cmag's comments though.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
I agree with the posters above me but for me what bothers me about Bell is their call centre is in India. I guess this is becoming more and more common because it it cheaper and all. I wouldn't have a issue except when I called I could barley understand the woman I was speaking to. Then I get transfered and I can barley understand the guy. The third person I spoke to was much better. I mean, if you are going to hire employees for a call centre where the calls come from Canada, you should hire employees that can speak understandable english. Now, I just never call. :D
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
2099 posts
251 upvotes
Thornhill
Wow that sucks plain and simple. I just got the Blackberry Storm from Telus, and I'm like "Bell is offering it for $50 on a three year contract. What can you guys offer me? If you don't match that, then I'll take my service to Bell" And I wasn't lying. This is what they're really offering. The rep was like "WOW. That's an awesome deal. Let me talk to my supervisor".

And 10 minutes later I got a Storm for $50. :D
Jul 15, 2008
638 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
darksith31 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2009 12:53 pm
If you don't match that, then I'll take my service to Bell" And I wasn't lying.
I certainly hope that you were lol. Bell is horrible. My phone is crippled to the point that it needs a wheelchair (amongst many other things). I'll be switching when a new company comes, which rumor has it should be pretty soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1858 posts
76 upvotes
OP, I am so sorry to read about what you went through. Bell use to be such a good company, now it is down to this. I think this seem to happen after the deregulation.
Roger is the same too, but Roger was bad from day one.
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
Nepean
cmag wrote:
Jan 6th, 2009 12:13 pm
So many companies have fallen to this poor level of service that your title could easily be "<--blank company--> is a rip off company!!!"

My suggestion is to record your conversations with a recorder, especially when entering new contracts or disputing anything- I use my mp3 player - and save the file for reference. They always say "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes" when you call customer service anway, so I just make sure it's being done in my favour.

Then you can escalate the issue higher up, and if that fails, report them to the appropriate governement regulatory agency, contact the consumer reporter at your paper/tv station, etc.
I aslo think some people don't read the fine print or don't understand it.Then when something happens they blame the company.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6117 posts
979 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
ottawasportsfan2010 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2009 10:29 am
I aslo think some people don't read the fine print or don't understand it.Then when something happens they blame the company.
I think you are right there. Im in the industry so its easy to me see over either side of the fence. I consider myself 'one of the good ones' I dont lie, I dont 'say anything to get a sale', in fact Im about as low pressure a sales person as you get. I give you all the information that I have that I think will be relevant and try to answer honestly any questions you ask. I cant tell you if any given square kilometer has coverage, and I cant forsee you dropping your phone in a pitcher of beer.

Companies have to be held accountable, thats part of what RFD is all about, but when its your own money you are spending, you have to take some responsibility too and know what you are signing.

Just sayin :)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
I would not want to call Bell to ask them to do anything. That includes calling them canceling my phone line. No, I do not plan to cancel my bell line. However, even if there is something better out there, I would not take my chance to call them so that they will screw me up.

The ironic part is even if I don't call them at all, they can still find a way to screw me up.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... stcount=80
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1685 posts
22 upvotes
I'm still amazed how anyone would still be with Bell. I've been with Teksavvy and am selling there service because of terrible customer service and all these ridiculous sub charges on my bills in the past. Even if Bell was cheaper, I would still not want the aggravation of dealing with them again. Horrible company.
REDFLAG MEMBER SINCE 2003!

Make crazy offers...worst I can say is no :) .
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
Think wrote:
Jan 7th, 2009 1:19 pm
I'm still amazed how anyone would still be with Bell. I've been with Teksavvy and am selling there service because of terrible customer service and all these ridiculous sub charges on my bills in the past. Even if Bell was cheaper, I would still not want the aggravation of dealing with them again. Horrible company.
+1. Used to get horrible Bell Internet upcharges even though I was on contract. Although I did get these charges reversed, it wasn't uncommon to spend at least an hour a month with Bell on the phone to do this.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2777 posts
165 upvotes
Kingston
If the OP hasn't paid the $341 that is supposedly owed to crappy ass Bell (so glade I have no services with them), look out for that collections notice coming in a few weeks.

Then let the fireworks soar !!!!
× < >