None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1002 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora

Bell-Check your bull for "Extra Directory Listing $3.10"

My last Bell telephone bill had a new, false charge for “extra directory listing $3.10 per month”.

Long story short, Bell loyalty guy says they had a bug in their systems wherein any change to your internet plan kicked in this bogus charge. They have known as far back as Dec. 17, 2013 but did not tell anyone.

So, check your bills every month. A friend had been paying this same bogus charge for 14 years. They refused any refund beyond 3 months.

My assault on Bell’s ears got me a significant discount in perpetuity, others can do the same.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5523 posts
1704 upvotes
Story don't make sense. Bug started Dec 17, 2013 but friend been paying it for 14 years?

Perpetuity discount?

You trollin'?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2534 posts
1554 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
boblepp wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 3:39 pm
So, check your bills every month. A friend had been paying this same bogus charge for 14 years. They refused any refund beyond 3 months.
…if your friend has been paying the same charge for 14 years and didn't bother enquiring about it before now, they have nothing to complain about as they accepted and paid the charge. It's always amazing how many people don't bother looking at their bills or simply pay blindly.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2534 posts
1554 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
WHO wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 4:00 pm
Story don't make sense. Bug started Dec 17, 2013 but friend been paying it for 14 years?
I think OP means the bug was first noted in December, but it had been happening for a long time before it was discovered.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1002 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
WHO wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 4:00 pm

Perpetuity discount?

You trollin'?
Nope. $20 off internet for as long as I stay on it. I have a confirmation code.
Every time I get a billing error, I deal direct with Fibe Loyalty (I got a number once and it still works) and at the end I ask for compensation. This time I noticed a promo giving $18 off for new accounts so I asked for that. He said he would do better and gave me the $20 off "for as long as you have internet". It sounded like he reviewed all the possible giveaways and chose that one. The $18 worked for new accounts only he said.

As to the friend... yes, he failed to notice the charge stuck even when he canceled the phone line it applied to... not this bug....as it gets 'buried' in the bill and his accountant pays his bills. The point is.... even though it was totally Bell's fault for not linking the listing to the cancelled phone number they refuse to correct their mistakes.

Why would someone troll about this? I am confused.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1002 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
ALLCAPS wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 3:29 am
I think OP means the bug was first noted in December, but it had been happening for a long time before it was discovered.
The December bug is "new". The friend got the same charge after cancelling a phone number in the late 90's, sorry to confuse.

I often consider that Bell does it on purpose though to many accounts and takes the extra money unless someone notices. But it may just be very bad software.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1002 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
ALLCAPS wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 3:27 am
…if your friend has been paying the same charge for 14 years and didn't bother enquiring about it before now, they have nothing to complain about as they accepted and paid the charge. It's always amazing how many people don't bother looking at their bills or simply pay blindly.
... or have an accountant who assumes.....
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2534 posts
1554 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
boblepp wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 8:54 am
... or have an accountant who assumes.....
Wow…if that's the case, then the accountant has a nice refund to prepare for his client. Your friend's gripe would definitely be with the accountant, not Bell.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1002 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
The gripe is with Bell and their artificial 3 month adjustment period. An honourable company would fix it retroactive since the mistake was theirs and no service was provided. But I will not argue that point.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, will check my bill.

However, at some point you have to take responsibility too. I would be more on your side if they offered no credit, but in both cases they offered an adjustment. Please check your bills.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22623 posts
8364 upvotes
I'm not going to check my bull for anything. I'll leave that to the vet.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2729 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 4:28 pm
I'm not going to check my bull for anything. I'll leave that to the vet.
my bull's in Madrid ;)
It was too cold for him recently so he bought himself a vacation
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4725 posts
724 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 8:25 am
Nope. $20 off internet for as long as I stay on it. I have a confirmation code.
i once spoke to a manager disputing my "unlimited" plan which I had a email copy of (the ones they used to email you) manager refused to acknowledge my contract even told him i'd forward the email back to him. he kept claiming the contract i agreed to read differently on his end. needless to say we did not agree with eachother and i ended up cancelling without penalty and switching to another provider who actually knew what "unlimited" meant.

your confirmation code will do you no good, the devil can break the deal anytime they want.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1766 posts
570 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 3:20 pm
The gripe is with Bell and their artificial 3 month adjustment period. An honourable company would fix it retroactive since the mistake was theirs and no service was provided. But I will not argue that point.
This is common for any telecommunications company in Canada or the USA.

As far as I know, there is nothing to protect us against companies doing this. As it's not a listed price and since the charges are based on usage, I don't think it would fall under SCOP, although I believe it should. Even if it did, SCOP states
The time period for considering a particular complaint should be left to the discretion of the retailer. However, generally complaints should be resolved as expeditiously as possible and, in any event, no later than one month after the error is alleged to have occurred.
Sorry, but if you don't look over your receipts or invoices then you're agreeing to the charges.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2613 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
boblepp wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 3:39 pm
got me a significant discount in perpetuity
The only way that happens, is that you are paying them a pretty penny every month, anyways.

However, your post is very valid, as these "errors in their favour" happen with all providers, and your only protection is to keep an eye on the bills.