Cell Phones

Bell data plans for tablets used on a cell phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2013 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 13, 2008
769 posts
61 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Bell data plans for tablets used on a cell phone?

Don't use my cell phone for calling or texting, just data, so could I use a tablet plan form Bell (say $20 for 1GB), and use that in my cell phone?

If so, can I purchase a new Bell sim card off eBay and use that, or is there a specific sim card for the tablet plans?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
3956 posts
841 upvotes
Canada
Yes you can do that, but I think you need to get a tablet sim........
Mar 26, 2012
48 posts
5 upvotes
From what I've read, a sim card from eBay will do, but you will have to call in and activate it. When you call, they're going to ask you for the IMEI # of your phone, and I'm not sure if they will activate it for you after they see that the IMEI # belongs to a phone. You cannot activate it online; online activations are only for prepaid solutions.

I just had a chat with an online Bell rep, and this is what she had to say. Check it out.

Having said this, I know there are plenty of people who have been successful in activating a tablet plan on their phone. Keep me posted! I'm on the same boat as you - just I'm worried about being dinged big bucks.
[OP]
Jun 13, 2008
769 posts
61 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I could use my iPad to activate if that's the case, and then just swap the sim card to my phone, but maybe they track or check that sort of thing???
Mar 26, 2012
48 posts
5 upvotes
I found this on howardforums.

Welcome to bell.ca! You are chatting with Carole . To assist you, may I please have your name and mobile phone number with area code?
Carole : Hello and welcome to Bell Mobility's chat service. How can I help you today?
Cory Recsky: Hello Carole, I'm not currently a Bell customer but I am looking into becoming one. I have a few questions.
Carole : I can certainly assist you with this. Go ahead.
Cory Recsky: I would like to wirelessly tether with an extra phone I have to a tablet and possibly a laptop. Would the tablet flex plan work for this? I ask because it is the best bang for my buck it seems.
Carole : Would you mind waiting a few minutes while I verify this information for you please?
Cory Recsky: I have no problem waiting.
Carole : Thank you very much.
Carole : Included data in those plans can be used for tethering.
Cory Recsky: Alright, thanks. So I am able to use that plan on a smartphone, even though it is a Tablet Plan?
Carole : Yes definately!
Cory Recsky: I shouldn't get charged extra for tethering either?
Carole : No, it is included in the plan you will chose. For example if you go with a plan that includes 500mb, tethering will be taken from that.
Cory Recsky: I would likely go with the flexplan that would bump me up if I went over the 500mb.
Carole : Great choice. If you do that, there is no extra cost either. You will just use the data included in the plan.
Cory Recsky: Alright, thanks for this information. It has helped me be alot less confused.
Carole : It was my pleasure. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Cory Recsky: No thank you, that was all I needed to know.
Carole : Thank you for chatting with me. Please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window to tell me how I did today. Have a great day!"

I guess you can try it. Again, it would be awesome if could keep me posted!
Here's the post if you're interested in reading.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1420 upvotes
goto fs/bb and activate instore . Just tell them you don't have the tablet with you and you don't know what an imei is.
[OP]
Jun 13, 2008
769 posts
61 upvotes
Burlington, ON
l69norm wrote:
Aug 1st, 2013 1:08 am
goto fs/bb and activate instore . Just tell them you don't have the tablet with you and you don't know what an imei is.
Do I have to buy the sim card from them, or can I go in with my own sim and do that?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1420 upvotes
Yes, you have to buy the SIM from them, but I believe BB also gives you a $50 gift card if you activate a new Virgin (bell) or Telus tablet flex plan.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6019 posts
1703 upvotes
Toronto
iHateShaw wrote:
Jul 31st, 2013 11:37 pm
Yes you can do that, but I think you need to get a tablet sim........
Don't think there's such a thing as a "Tablet SIM", a SIM is a SIM. When they activate they ask for your IMEI.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1143 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Aug 1st, 2013 10:45 am
Yes, you have to buy the SIM from them, but I believe BB also gives you a $50 gift card if you activate a new Virgin (bell) or Telus tablet flex plan.
Can you tell us where you saw this please ? I remember seeing this for telus but not for virgin.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1420 upvotes
Its right on the bb web site. Activate a Virgin plan and get $50 gift card
Dec 29, 2012
53 posts
11 upvotes
I did this when I signed up for Virgin's tablet plan at $5/month minimum ($35/5GB). It was for a 3G Nexus 7 (2012) but I did not have it with me when I went to get the SIM. The rep admitted that they only check against the IMEIs of devices they sell, meaning that if I used a device that Virgin did not sell, they had no way to tell if it was a tablet, a phone, a MiFi or whatever else.

I popped the SIM in my non-Virgin Huawei WiFi AP and it's been 5 months of trouble-free usage (with the $5 tablet plan).
× < >