Tags:
None
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Bell DSL vs Rogers Cable for multiplayer gaming

Don't know if this should be in this forum or the videogames forum but anyways...

I'm a bit nooby when it comes to network talk. When it comes to online gaming, which is better - DSL or Cable?

I know this is a gray area and there are many variables, but from my understanding, the lower the ping time, the better the connection? And the better the connection, the less laggy your gameplay will be?

Just to give a bit of background on me, I'm currently on the grandfathered unlimited DSL plan with Bell. I find that I lose alot of gun battles in COD. Especially when I know I shot the enemy, yet their killcam shows that I didn't even raise my weapon. I'm assuming it's because my internet connection is slow compared to others I'm playing against.

Would it be better if I were to switch from DSL to Cable (maybe Rogers Ultimate)? Would it be a better experience when i'm online gaming.

Somebody please help a noob.

Thanks.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1517 posts
108 upvotes
Happens to me as well and I'm with Rogers.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4577 posts
880 upvotes
Mississauga
I with Rogers Extreme and 80% of the time, the speed is good. Rogers does some throttling ( didn't confirm but saw few threads) when you become the host in COD. Now you cannot control the host part.
Jun 19, 2011
24 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
short answer is don't switch until you know what the real problem is. There are no guarantees. You can test your own connection by playing at different times. Try prime time versus off-hours. prime time means lots of players, ISP network carrying lots of traffic and large ping times. question is, how do you know what to ping? you need to know the IP address of the hosting server. if there is a difference in killcam result, then the network congestion makes a difference; so the problem is not really the ISP (unless there is an ISP out there somewhere which can guarantee no congestion). if no difference in killcam then network speed is not the problem; you have to start looking at other variables. and there are lots which are not in your control. You can fine-tune your own network by changing QoS (quality of service) settings in your router to give this the highest priority. is there any other network activity at your house happening at the same time?
Hope this gives you a start..
Aug 29, 2010
283 posts
19 upvotes
Have you considered calling Bell's support line and ask them about their throttling policy?

Tell them you notice some poor performance and your considering switching to Rogers. See their reaction. Escalate it a bit and tell them that if they can fix the problem you will remain a customer.

Worst case they ignore you. Order a free trial of Rogers and compare. Another option is to switch your cable to Teksavvy if it's available. They seem to be more gamer friendly.

Good luck.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6284 posts
442 upvotes
Help me
Keep the grandfathered unlimited! Even if you want to get cable for gaming. Please keep the unlimited DSL connection and max it out every month.

I hate bell!

And yes, the only thing that matters is ping. Having plenty of available upstream (upload bandwidth) helps as well.

Make sure your family members aren't using the internet connection while you are gaming!
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Corndogs wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 1:53 am
short answer is don't switch until you know what the real problem is. There are no guarantees. You can test your own connection by playing at different times. Try prime time versus off-hours. prime time means lots of players, ISP network carrying lots of traffic and large ping times. question is, how do you know what to ping? you need to know the IP address of the hosting server. if there is a difference in killcam result, then the network congestion makes a difference; so the problem is not really the ISP (unless there is an ISP out there somewhere which can guarantee no congestion). if no difference in killcam then network speed is not the problem; you have to start looking at other variables. and there are lots which are not in your control. You can fine-tune your own network by changing QoS (quality of service) settings in your router to give this the highest priority. is there any other network activity at your house happening at the same time?
Hope this gives you a start..
It seems to happen throughout the day, regardless of time. I also make sure there is no other network activity when gaming. I know my upload speed is pretty slow, about 40-50kbps, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Non-Imbroglio wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 2:23 am
Have you considered calling Bell's support line and ask them about their throttling policy?

Tell them you notice some poor performance and your considering switching to Rogers. See their reaction. Escalate it a bit and tell them that if they can fix the problem you will remain a customer.

Worst case they ignore you. Order a free trial of Rogers and compare. Another option is to switch your cable to Teksavvy if it's available. They seem to be more gamer friendly.

Good luck.
I'm afraid to call Bell because I'm on the unlimited plan. I've heard horror stories where someone would call in for a simple question and they mysteriously end up being switched off the grandfathered plan. The free trial from Rogers is a good idea as I already have my TV and wireless with them.
Mr.Sea wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 2:35 am
Keep the grandfathered unlimited! Even if you want to get cable for gaming. Please keep the unlimited DSL connection and max it out every month.

I hate bell!

And yes, the only thing that matters is ping. Having plenty of available upstream (upload bandwidth) helps as well.

Make sure your family members aren't using the internet connection while you are gaming!
LOL. I have never maxed out more than about 140gb a month. And this is with me going nuts on Torrents. My upstream seems to suck everytime I run a speedtest. And when I game, it's usually when my wife is asleep, so no one is on the net.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7514 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
go to speedtest.net and do a few speed tests at different times of the day and post the results here.

also if your upload speed is around 50-60kb/sec then that is normal for DSL and it will be fine for playing games online. It is possible that your line is not the best and bell put you on a interleave profile which is basically error correction on your line so you have a better more stable connection HOWEVER the negative part about this is that it double or triples your pings.

So try the speed tests. Even turn off your dsl modem & router for 2min then reconnect it to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes you need to reboot the equipment if its constantly been on for weeks.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 1:29 pm
go to speedtest.net and do a few speed tests at different times of the day and post the results here.

also if your upload speed is around 50-60kb/sec then that is normal for DSL and it will be fine for playing games online. It is possible that your line is not the best and bell put you on a interleave profile which is basically error correction on your line so you have a better more stable connection HOWEVER the negative part about this is that it double or triples your pings.

So try the speed tests. Even turn off your dsl modem & router for 2min then reconnect it to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes you need to reboot the equipment if its constantly been on for weeks.
I did a ping test last night (www.pingtest.net) and it was coming back at around 110ms. The best result I ever had before was around 60-70 ms. Is that good or bad for online gaming?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7514 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
diggler649 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 3:15 pm
I did a ping test last night (www.pingtest.net) and it was coming back at around 110ms. The best result I ever had before was around 60-70 ms. Is that good or bad for online gaming?

Tat is pretty high for DSL. So either you are on Interleave OR maybe an issue on you're line. I think you generally should be around 20-30ms if im not mistaken?
Maximum Repair
PM me for more info
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
its just crappy routing on bell's end or your on an interleaved profile.
also dsl compared to cable has always had better ping especially during peak hours.
it's just the way the 2 technologies are designed.
try giving bell a call and tell them you are having very bad latency issues with many sites and servers.
request a "fast path" profile switch.
Jun 19, 2011
24 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
diggler649 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 3:15 pm

Just for the heck of it....what is the IP address that you're pinging?
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Corndogs wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 1:00 am
Just for the heck of it....what is the IP address that you're pinging?
Not sure. I just go to www.pingtest.net and it finds the closest server to me. It just says it's a Toronto server.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7514 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
diggler649 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 3:09 am
Not sure. I just go to www.pingtest.net and it finds the closest server to me. It just says it's a Toronto server.

I'm on 5mbit on fast path & this is what I get from that site so you should be getting something similar. & since you are not you are probably on interleave.

Maximum Repair
PM me for more info
Jan 12, 2010
470 posts
36 upvotes
On the 5MB DSL Line on TSI

As long as your ping is around the 20-30ms, you should be pretty well off. You also need a 50-60kbps upload to make it better, otherwise you are gonna lag like crazy.

I used to play on a BHell line before I switched to TSI. They were terrible. You should switch over...lol
× < >