None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1134 posts
229 upvotes

Bell ExpressVu

Hi,

I am currently a subscriber of Bell ExpressVu and I was thinking about installing a second dish and receiver at my cottage. If I was to purchase the dish and receiver from Bell, get them to activate it, install it at my cottage, would this work?

This would mean that I am getting Bell ExpressVu at home and at my cottage. Would Bell know that I am receiving the signal from two different locations even though I am pointing to the same satellite (Satellite 91).
Share:
24 replies
Nov 1, 2005
604 posts
2 upvotes
I think it's just the card that gets activated so I think you just need a receiver and dish and bring the card back and forth. Bell would never know about your cottage system as long as you don't plug it into the phone jack.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
exactly.. once the receiver is activated they could not possibly know where the receiver is physically located, unless you plug in the phone line. This will work as long as you pay the bill ;)
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
I believe Expressvu does not allow this, you must have a second account for the cottage, which I think they have a special plan if you will only be using it for half the year.

They can find out when they call you at your home and ask you for some ID numbers on the screen of both televisions, at which point you can't give them.

They will suspend service on the second tv and from there things will probably get worse.

It's hard to say how long you will get away with it, maybe a full year.. maybe not.
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.
Sep 11, 2005
35 posts
get a second dish, install it at your cottage, take your receiver and it will work there. why bother Ma Bell. dish is around $35
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
707 posts
ustaad wrote:get a second dish, install it at your cottage, take your receiver and it will work there. why bother Ma Bell. dish is around $35
At one point it did but not any more.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3739 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Don't listen to Fastfokker, I know someone that does this and it works. As long as you don't plug in the phone line you're fine. They have been doing this for 3+ years now.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
FastFokker wrote:I believe Expressvu does not allow this, you must have a second account for the cottage, which I think they have a special plan if you will only be using it for half the year.

They can find out when they call you at your home and ask you for some ID numbers on the screen of both televisions, at which point you can't give them.

They will suspend service on the second tv and from there things will probably get worse.

It's hard to say how long you will get away with it, maybe a full year.. maybe not.
I have never heard of them doing anything like this. Is this something you have seen yourself?
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Aug 15, 2003
437 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
I can understand they might ask for the info when your first set it up, but if later they call and ask for info from the tv's, just tell them your busy and hang up on them. WTF, they treat there customers like bitches?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
i currently do this.
my parents travel in their motorhome place to place. they stick their dish tripod in the ground and bam, signal on both their receivers.
I told bell they lived in my basement, so i added their receivers to my account. We each pay a bill every other month. Belive it's good for up to 6 (?) receivers.

they've tried this with me, I just said they weren't hooked up at the time...we were doing some remodeling and that was that. they never asked again.

edited to add: they will also try to trick you when asking how you're going to hook it up. technically you can only have up to two recievers on your dish unless you have a new one that allows four (i think). they'll ask you to buy a splitter thingy from them that's around eighty bucks, so you can have more than you're two recievers hooked up. (you're not allowed to say you have two dishes on your house, they don't allow that either)
Just tell them you already have one, a friend or something gave it to you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Tjalfe wrote:I have never heard of them doing anything like this. Is this something you have seen yourself?
Yes, I knew of a person who was sharing the maximum # of dishes / household amongst MANY households.

I beleive the max is 6units/account, and they were shared among 4 homes, so they had the biggest package ($100?), but it was only costing them $25 each. One day Expressvu called to verify some kind of ID # (I don't know the exact details, but something on the status information), and he could not provide it for all the receivers, so they suspended the 4 units he couldn't account for.

I'm not saying to DON'T do it, but just be aware that one day you may get caught for it. If you're comfortable with that (which most people probably are), then by all means go for it. But people can't say there is no way they would know and/or nothing they can do.

Obviously if you only have 2 receivers, then it can very likely be assumed one is in your living room and one in the bedroom.. but once you start adding up units, you MUST get on their suspicious list.

*Just Saying* YMMV.
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
dolphie wrote:they've tried this with me, I just said they weren't hooked up at the time...we were doing some remodeling and that was that. they never asked again.
Exactly, and if you only have 2 units, they probably won't give you much to any hassle.. (probably? I dunno I'm not a psychic), but if you have more.. you will probably draw more attention.

Again, I'm not telling anyone to not do it.. but beware they know the schemes people are pulling on them and they COULD find out. If they do, be prepared to account for your actions.

Bell is a scammer, everyone knows... they want to get the most money for the least. Personally I think if you have a cottage you should be allowed to just add the unit to your account with no additional, as you can't be in your home and cottage at the same time.

I'm just trying to share some information as everyone else made it seem like you can do all you want and there is nothing Bell can or will do about it. The discussion was very one sided.
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
wrong...

Card and receiver are married, so he needs another card and another receiver. However, theres no need to tell Bell that the second receiver will be at a remote location. Just call them and get a secod receiver (around 99.00 now with card - sometimes they have refurbs for 50.00), hook it up at home and activate it, then take it to the cottage and dont plug the phone line.

I've had bell for about 10 months now and NEVER had the phone cable hooked up...1 or 2 times that I called for whatever reason they just gave me a friendly reminder to connect the cable, but I told them that I was doing renovations in the house and when I had a chance I'd plug them...they never followed up.

To activate a second receiver in your account, it costs nothing at all (other than the hardware itself). DOnt buy a receiver without card off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]Ebay[/rfdlink] (as bell will charge you for the card) and never buy a receiver WITH card that has been activated if you cannot verify ANY UNPAID ballance from previous owner.

I strongly suggest you buy directly from bell...for example, you can rent a new receiver with card for about 2.50 a month.

slowpoke wrote:I think it's just the card that gets activated so I think you just need a receiver and dish and bring the card back and forth. Bell would never know about your cottage system as long as you don't plug it into the phone jack.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1724 posts
76 upvotes
I don't have any situations like mentioned above - ie, cottage, extra receivers and stuff, but I have never plugged the phone line in. They have mentioned it before to do so, but I didn't.

why should I plug it in, and why shouldn't I plug it in?

Thanks
M
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
6 upvotes
mcewen wrote:I don't have any situations like mentioned above - ie, cottage, extra receivers and stuff, but I have never plugged the phone line in. They have mentioned it before to do so, but I didn't.

why should I plug it in, and why shouldn't I plug it in?

Thanks
M
I think it's for the TV guide.
:mad: :lol:
× < >