[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2107 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto

Bell Fibe Internet vs Rogers Ignite Internet

Hi everyone,

After years of sticking with TekSavvy, I've got an opportunity to take advantage of one of the deals Bell and Rogers currently offer. I'm moving to a new place at the end of the month and trying to see what internet plan I should accept.

Here are my options:

Bell Canada:
  • Fibe 150mbps Unlimited: $65 / month (2 year term). Price increasing Feb 1/2017 to $70 / month.
  • Gigabit Fibe Bundle (Internet, Good TV, Phone Lite): $101 / month (2 year term)
Rogers:
  • Rogers Ignite 100mbps Unlimited: $65 / month (2 year term)
  • Gigabit Bundle (Popular TV + Unlimited Gigabit internet): $99 / month (2 year term)

Some things to note:
  • I don't care too much about having cable (haven't had it for over 5+ years) and definitely don't need a phone line (I'm going to setup voip anyway).
  • I'm not a heavy downloader, I currently have a 25 mbps plan with TekSavvy. I mostly stream everything now via Kodi or Netflix.
  • I do want a faster speed, so I'm thinking either the Bell Fibe 150 or Rogers Ignite 100 plan will be sufficient. I can save $30-40 a month if I don't take the Gigabit plans either company is offering.

From what I have seen, most people recommend Bell Fibe because it is FTTH (fibre to the home) so I will rarely experience slow speeds. The Rogers Gigabit bundle sounds pretty enticing, and I see a lot of people have signed up for it since it's a pretty hot deal.

Any thoughts from people who have had either service? It's been years since I've had Rogers or Bell internet.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25889 posts
2886 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Is Bell really 150 Mbps? I would go with then faster service

... But I download
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1983 posts
312 upvotes
Oshawa
I have the Rogers Gigabit Bundle (with Popular TV Package) ... for $99+taxes on a 2 year contract ... my daily average speed is between 850-920mbps download

I only watch TV in the morning (CP24) and the live sports in the evenings (NHL, MLB, NBA). When we have company (my friends with their children) ... we would put Treehouse on for them to keep the kids occupied. Cable is nice to have in these circumstances. The package gave me the NextBox 3.0 HD PVR ... absolutely unnecessary because I download all my episodes of drama series (ie. Bones / Shadowhunters / Shooter / Flash / etc).

We have one desktop dedicated for downloading via VPNs ... so definitely speed is very very important and therefore it is directly connected to the modem via CAT5.

We have another desktop connected to the main TV for streaming and youtubing ... no need for Netflix because we have plenty of sites for streaming movies, dramas, variety shows, music using the programs installed on the desktop ... so that is directly connected to the modem via CAT5 ...

I work on my laptop a lot ... video conferencing ... so it is also directly connected to the modem via CAT5 ...

We also have two cellphones connected wirelessly on the 5.0GHz connection along with another tablet.

Our average monthly bandwidth is approximately 700GB.

We used to use the Ignite 100u ... and realized that the speeds were not really enough ... (was doing about 150-190 mbps on the Ignite 100).

The Modem is located in the basement by the circuit breakers and the entire house was prewired with CAT5 in the walls when the property was built ... I added an Asus Gigabit Ethernet Switches (8 port in the basement) to provide more connections instead of just the 4 on the modem.

On the second floor (front of the house) ... have an Edimax DualBand Wireless Router.

In the living room on the main floor (rear of the house) ... have another Edimax DualBand Wireless Router.

Basement takes the wireless signals from the modem.

So no matter where you are in our vicinity .. you will have wireless connections to our network ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1751 posts
282 upvotes
For the same price Bell Gigabit for sure if you have FTTH no questions about it.
Rogers is already showing congestion in some areas already and they just started deploying gigabit. It's not going to get bettter but worst.

Bell also gives you better upload speeds which imo is more important then download. I have Rogers gigabit btw.

-LeeBear
Dec 21, 2013
603 posts
256 upvotes
GTA
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 5:14 pm
I have the Rogers Gigabit Bundle (with Popular TV Package) ... for $99+taxes on a 2 year contract ... my daily average speed is between 850-920mbps download
What in the actual hell. I have the same package as you, sitting downtown toronto and all i'm getting is:
Download 130.6 Mbps
Upload 32.26 Mbps
Ping 31ms

Smiling Face With Horns
Dec 21, 2013
603 posts
256 upvotes
GTA
LeeBear wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 6:32 pm
For the same price Bell Gigabit for sure if you have FTTH no questions about it.
Rogers is already showing congestion in some areas already and they just started deploying gigabit. It's not going to get bettter but worst.

Bell also gives you better upload speeds which imo is more important then download. I have Rogers gigabit btw.

-LeeBear
I absolutely hate Bell's shady tactics of "applying discounts" rather than offering lower rate. So while you think you are getting a great package paying $100/mo, you are actually getting a "base rate" of $200 with a 50% discount to bring it to $100/mo. A few months down the road they up the base rate to ... say... $250/mo and apply the 50% discount meaning your new bill is $125/mo. I've had this issue with bell twice now and have sworn off them as a result. Very very shady tactics.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2196 posts
253 upvotes
Who can get bell gigabit for $101. I would like to get it now. I just don't really trust bell.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2107 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
LeeBear wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 6:32 pm

-LeeBear
Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards the Fibe 150 package as the TV package Bell is offering isn't that great.
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 10:45 pm
Who can get bell gigabit for $101. I would like to get it now. I just don't really trust bell.
I reached out to a Bell field rep (Zara) from the Bell / New Customers thread in the Ongoing Hot Deals forum. She said that's one of their offers at the moment if the house can have FTTH installed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2107 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 5:14 pm

I only watch TV in the morning (CP24) and the live sports in the evenings (NHL, MLB, NBA). When we have company (my friends with their children) ... we would put Treehouse on for them to keep the kids occupied. Cable is nice to have in these circumstances. The package gave me the NextBox 3.0 HD PVR ... absolutely unnecessary because I download all my episodes of drama series (ie. Bones / Shadowhunters / Shooter / Flash / etc).

We have one desktop dedicated for downloading via VPNs ... so definitely speed is very very important and therefore it is directly connected to the modem via CAT5.

We have another desktop connected to the main TV for streaming and youtubing ... no need for Netflix because we have plenty of sites for streaming movies, dramas, variety shows, music using the programs installed on the desktop ... so that is directly connected to the modem via CAT5 ...

I work on my laptop a lot ... video conferencing ... so it is also directly connected to the modem via CAT5 ...

We also have two cellphones connected wirelessly on the 5.0GHz connection along with another tablet.

Our average monthly bandwidth is approximately 700GB.

We used to use the Ignite 100u ... and realized that the speeds were not really enough ... (was doing about 150-190 mbps on the Ignite 100).

The Modem is located in the basement by the circuit breakers and the entire house was prewired with CAT5 in the walls when the property was built ... I added an Asus Gigabit Ethernet Switches (8 port in the basement) to provide more connections instead of just the 4 on the modem.

On the second floor (front of the house) ... have an Edimax DualBand Wireless Router.

In the living room on the main floor (rear of the house) ... have another Edimax DualBand Wireless Router.

Basement takes the wireless signals from the modem.

So no matter where you are in our vicinity .. you will have wireless connections to our network ...
Damn! That's pretty sweet you have the network running through your house. I just purchased that Gigabit TP Link router that was on sale. I just have to figure out where the Bell fibre connection is going to be.
Apr 25, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
No matter whomever you choose, Bell and Rogers are both crooked. Currently l am with Bell, and will be leaving them in June of 2018, currently l have a deal with them. In November of 2015 l went to Iceland and Alaska, when l was away Bell started sending me text messages saying l owed them $150 dollars, despite the fact that my bill was paid every month before the due date and above the required amount. After returning and a couple of heated exchanges, they gave me a deal: $24.00 per month of my computer and $20.00 off my cable for two years. However, since then Bell has shoved up their rates and tried to renage in their agreement. The problem as l see it: There is virtually little or no consumer protection in Canada, and Bell and Rogers are in the same bed as the government. I would sooner trust the mafia. Say what you want, but if this was the U.S both would be in prison.
Jun 14, 2017
1 posts
Ya that is absolutely moronic, in the US Comcast and Timewarner have an almost identical set up to Bell and Rogers in Canada.

The only saving grace in the US is Google Fiber
Jul 14, 2017
1 posts
redkulat wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 2:16 pm
Hi everyone,

After years of sticking with TekSavvy, I've got an opportunity to take advantage of one of the deals Bell and Rogers currently offer. I'm moving to a new place at the end of the month and trying to see what internet plan I should accept.

Here are my options:

Bell Canada:
  • Fibe 150mbps Unlimited: $65 / month (2 year term). Price increasing Feb 1/2017 to $70 / month.
  • Gigabit Fibe Bundle (Internet, Good TV, Phone Lite): $101 / month (2 year term)
Rogers:
  • Rogers Ignite 100mbps Unlimited: $65 / month (2 year term)
  • Gigabit Bundle (Popular TV + Unlimited Gigabit internet): $99 / month (2 year term)

Some things to note:
  • I don't care too much about having cable (haven't had it for over 5+ years) and definitely don't need a phone line (I'm going to setup voip anyway).
  • I'm not a heavy downloader, I currently have a 25 mbps plan with TekSavvy. I mostly stream everything now via Kodi or Netflix.
  • I do want a faster speed, so I'm thinking either the Bell Fibe 150 or Rogers Ignite 100 plan will be sufficient. I can save $30-40 a month if I don't take the Gigabit plans either company is offering.

From what I have seen, most people recommend Bell Fibe because it is FTTH (fibre to the home) so I will rarely experience slow speeds. The Rogers Gigabit bundle sounds pretty enticing, and I see a lot of people have signed up for it since it's a pretty hot deal.

Any thoughts from people who have had either service? It's been years since I've had Rogers or Bell internet.
Look I'm late but had both its like talking about 4 ping to the closest server or 15 ping. In rogers have 15 ping to the closet server which is really bad, it has the worst connections to servers. Bell on the other end give's you 3 or 4 ping to server that are not to far. You might get a slower speed because bell don't gave that fake speed booSt but you will still have a lot better Internet than in rogers.
Sep 21, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
I've experienced this first hand just recently. I received my introductory rate, or promo rate, for 1 month. Then they upped the base and my savings remained the same so my monthly cost increased by $5. Then 6 months later another increase to the base but my savings remained the same so there's another $5 increase. I called to complain and was told I am receiving the "maximum savings" and the only way to reduce my monthly rate is to remove services. I was ignored when asked why I received the promo rate for only 1 month and they are still advertising that rate, however, I'm not a new Bell subscriber so I can't have it. Very shady to say the least. Probably gonna ditch Bell pretty soon.
Jul 26, 2015
13 posts
Newmarket, ON
Approx 3 years ago we had bell internet (not FTTH) 15 down and 1 up. Speeds were okay for very light browsing and no streaming. Our promotion was over and our price went up by 50%. I called and asked for a new promotion and was told "You need to search our website and find a current promotion. Then call us to apply the promotion.".

So I called ROGERS and got a better deal.

Now our internet speed of 15 down and 1 up is NOWHERE NEAR THAT RATE. It's awful. I can't browse social media on my phone while my wife uploads basic word documents to her google drive at the same time without one of our connections constantly "spinning".
Feb 5, 2007
260 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
check your area you sure your area is the fastest for bell? my friend in north york got 300/100 for $69/month, no contract free install