Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6848 posts
394 upvotes

Bell Home Phone Retention

Looking at cutting monthly bill, has anyone had any luck reducing land line costs with Bell by saying you're going over to Rogers home phone? Just landline use, no internet? If so, what did you get?
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6848 posts
394 upvotes
Nobody?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3800 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa
Bell already has the cheapest local phone service at $19.95 per month, plus touch tone fee, 911 fee, and taxes. For me in Ottawa that works out to about $24.50, because we're also charged 50 cents a month for the next couple of years for local calling anywhere in city limits. I don't think anyone else can beat that price, unless they are giving some promotion over the short term. So I don't see why would Bell give a retention deal on only local phone. Bell gave me retention deals on long distance, satellite, internet last year, but nothing for local phone.

What inflates your local phone bill is adding all the features like call display, call waiting, voice mail, etc. I cancelled all my calling features years ago and got an answering machine, and I figure I've saved at least $700 because of that in the last eight years. Those features are gravy to the phone provider, since they're already in the equipment at the phone central office, they just have to activate it for you. As a friend of mine who once worked for Nortel told me, "A calling feature for the first customer is $30,000, the next few thousand are free."

A co-worker of mine fell for all the Rogers Home Phone advertising and tried to get the service, but they disconnected his Bell service and left his line dead. After giving up on Rogers when they wouldn't fix it promptly, he went back to Bell. Now Rogers is trying to charge him for a service they never provided. Bell isn't much better at getting billing right the first time, but they do seem to be good about crediting you in due time if there was a problem.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6848 posts
394 upvotes
MacGyver wrote:
Apr 5th, 2008 9:08 am
Bell already has the cheapest local phone service at $19.95 per month, plus touch tone fee, 911 fee, and taxes. For me in Ottawa that works out to about $24.50, because we're also charged 50 cents a month for the next couple of years for local calling anywhere in city limits. I don't think anyone else can beat that price, unless they are giving some promotion over the short term. So I don't see why would Bell give a retention deal on only local phone. Bell gave me retention deals on long distance, satellite, internet last year, but nothing for local phone.

What inflates your local phone bill is adding all the features like call display, call waiting, voice mail, etc. I cancelled all my calling features years ago and got an answering machine, and I figure I've saved at least $700 because of that in the last eight years. Those features are gravy to the phone provider, since they're already in the equipment at the phone central office, they just have to activate it for you. As a friend of mine who once worked for Nortel told me, "A calling feature for the first customer is $30,000, the next few thousand are free."

A co-worker of mine fell for all the Rogers Home Phone advertising and tried to get the service, but they disconnected his Bell service and left his line dead. After giving up on Rogers when they wouldn't fix it promptly, he went back to Bell. Now Rogers is trying to charge him for a service they never provided. Bell isn't much better at getting billing right the first time, but they do seem to be good about crediting you in due time if there was a problem.
Good info. While I hate Bell for most things, they still mostly do landlines the best. I don't particularly want to switch, I just want to see if I can get a slightly better rate....maybe I can get them to knock off costs on the call waiting/display/voicemail. Our phone bill for landline is $60 a month, and I don't see a good reason for it, considering both my wife and I both have cellphones with pretty good plans (I have all-in-one 30 for my blackberry from Bell, she has rough equivalent plan with rogers).
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1630 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
Teksavvy just announced they will be providing home phone service (POTS, not VOIP). With call waiting it works out to be about 3.50 cheaper per month than Bell. I'll probably switch in the next couple of months - not because of the 3.50 but because I'm really starting to hate Bell for this throttling crap.

I know it's just a resell of Bell, but at least some of my money will go to a respectable company.

http://teksavvy.com/en/nhomephone2.asp?ID=7&mID=1
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
2846 posts
225 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
I didn't bother to call Bell retention, I came across a really sweet instore special at Erin Mills Rogers Store.

Home phone service Basic Line $21.95
-Long Distance: 500Mins Canada Wide
SAF: $5.95
After Taxes, total: $31.53

-Promotion $10 discount per month for 12months
-$200 cheque sent by mail to me.
-No contract
-Free installation

So basically the first year will cost me $3.56 per month for the first 12months or $42.73 :cheesygri

Now before everybody jumps all over me for not posting this deal, I walked into the store on March 31st at around 8pm, an hour before closing, and thats how I found out, they had flyers taped all over the store. So when I got home it was about 8:45pm, Mall closes at 9pm. The next day, I called the store April 1st, and asked if they could extend it for one more day, and they said no and that alot of people have came by to asked as well....otherwise I would have posted in the Hot deals.

Now I'm just looking to replace Bell Wireless with either Rogers or Fido, and eventually sympatico as well, then no more Bell in this household.
Tung(Tom)Nguyen
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3017 posts
1022 upvotes
Many cable companies are also offering home phone, you can check it out if you've got cable.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2403 posts
404 upvotes
I called Bell planning to activate my land line for moving it to a low cost pay-as-you-go cell phone plan (already have a cell phone... I wanted to keep my land line number tho) and they offered me a "land line basic" that has no long-distance plan, but is only $17.45 a month (plus tax)

Of course the rep didn't tell me that it would f*** up my other services and change my grandfathered unlimited high-speed internet plan to a capped plan with high charges for traffic over 60 GB per month. I am aware that Bell was going to kick everyone off unlimited plans in the near future anyway, but to have it done without notice, as a side-effect of something that was supposed to SAVE me money only to cost me MORE money is just typical Bell hell.

I honestly intended (and may still) to cancel my bell land line, internet and Express Vu over this.... but I was offered a new unlimited internet plan for $55 per month (5 dollars more than I was paying!) plus a $50 rebate / bonus, plus I keep the $17.45 per month land line (my ExpressVu doesn't change.)

They offered me this plan for a year, but I don't like being locked in to anything, so I had them set it for 6 months.

But come the end of the day, I'm still saving $15 per month on my charges.

...and I still intend to ditch bell when my 6 months runs out: in the mean time, I'm going to change all the services that I've registered @sympatico.ca emails to @gmail.com addresses... then f*** off, Bell.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3800 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa
FYI, my wife is starting a home business and she added a second land line to our existing Bell OneBill. Monthly cost for that second residential line: $9.95 plus touch tone plus 911. It works out to about $13.
× < >