Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2016 9:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

Edit: My title is misleading, you do not get rid of touch tone charges but you do get them offset with a 12 month credit. I apologize, but the first time I called Bell she said "$14.95 includes touch tone and 911 fees" and I believed her literally.

I know, you hate Bell....

Ontario

But, I called today to cancel my MIL's phone at the home and go to Wind with a Link-to-cell Panasonic....

Bell offered me "Home Phone Lite" $14.97 + HST a month versus $31 approx. total I pay now. I hated the touchtone charge. An LD plan is required, but they have a 'free' one if you use no LD at all, and then it charges 2.95 a month ONLY IF YOU DIAL ONE LD CALL IN A MONTH... so.... she does not call LD at all (well, on purpose anyway)

No contract.

12 month promo, but "Call back in 12 months and we'll talk".

So $30.57 total should drop to $14.97 X 1.13 = $16.91, saving $163 a year

I retain 911 service and avoid complication of change, old folks hate that.

So, check your elderly relatives' Bell home phone plans, they will not get a call to offer this for obvious reasons. I knew "Home Phone Lite" only as the way I reduced my 2 copper lines costs. They charged 39.95 and threw in 1200 LD minutes and a $5 credit but added 6.95 LD plan. This 14.97 is even better so now I have to call for myself. They will argue 1200 LD is worth the difference and that my well be. I found this year at 'renewal' time that having Fibe made the renewal of the deal almost automatic, no arguing at all.

The Wind free incoming on prepaid is a great offering though.
596 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2004
1703 posts
279 upvotes
Question about the touch tone service charge. I have the home phone basic package and pay a $2.80 charge for Touch-Tone Service. Are you saying that I can call in and have them remove the charge?
Sword of Omens....Give me deals beyond deals!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8633 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Interested in this too, touchtone gets pretty pricey over a year's time.
Dec 6, 2008
154 posts
81 upvotes
Ontario
Rogers home phone is the only way to go...not complicated even for elderly people...much cheaper...Bell is a sinking ship listing severely...just my two cents.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7105 posts
1223 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Hockeyman888 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 12:38 pm
Rogers home phone is the only way to go...not complicated even for elderly people...much cheaper...
Would you mind giving me an example how is Rogers Home Phone much cheaper then Bell?
I've recently looked up home phone services because one of my relative wanted to sign up for it, and Rogers with LD came out higher then Bell. My home phone service is with Rogers and for the bare minimum basic package I pay something like almost $40 with taxes in. Just recently got a call from Rogers renewing my internet contract with them and I quickly got transferred to retention dep., I got a great deal on the internet but the home phone they could not do anything with.

So I am just curious what is that "much cheaper then Bell" option is you are talking about?
Steam: SpectralMeat
Nov 16, 2004
959 posts
11 upvotes
[quote="boblepp" post_id="14109934" time="1326733271" user_id="346512"]I know, you hate Bell....

Ontario

But, I called today to cancel my MIL's phone at the home and go to Wind with a Link-to-cell Panasonic....

Bell offered me "Home Phone Lite" $14.97 + HST a month versus $31 approx. total I pay now. I hated the touchtone charge. An LD plan is required, but they have a 'free' one if you use no LD at all, and then it charges 2.95 a month ONLY IF YOU DIAL ONE LD CALL IN A MONTH... so.... she does not call LD at all (well, on purpose anyway)

No contract.

12 month promo, but "Call back in 12 months and we'll talk".

QUOTE]

I see in above you mention in Ontario, but does this apply nationwide also ??
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1450 posts
76 upvotes
[QUOTE]I see in above you mention in Ontario, but does this apply nationwide also ??[/QUOTE]

Bell isn't nationwide though. In the West, it's Telus. Why not ask for where you are specifically?
Dec 19, 2010
52 posts
5 upvotes
Niagara
Just called in and was given the lite with no problems. Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
modano9 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 12:13 pm
Question about the touch tone service charge. I have the home phone basic package and pay a $2.80 charge for Touch-Tone Service. Are you saying that I can call in and have them remove the charge?
Read it again.

call in to CANCEL, get Loyalty, and threaten to go cellular, ask if you had the best deal.

You should get offered Home Lite at 14.97 INCLUDING 911 and touchtone.

You do not ask to remove touch tone, you ask for home phone LITE.

Report back if you DO NOT get offered Home Lite at 14.95 total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
Hockeyman888 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 12:38 pm
Rogers home phone is the only way to go...not complicated even for elderly people...much cheaper...Bell is a sinking ship listing severely...just my two cents.
Rather than just claim something unfounded that no one else can verify, tell us what you pay and what bundle you have.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
OP here...

I called in on my own "great deal" and had it reduced a further $3.68, not huge since it was a good deal already.

Before tax 42.68 gets me:
2 lines
1500 minutes NA LD shared
2 touchtone
2 911
all "access" fees (which are stupid I know and account for $10 of the 42.68, but gives me the 1500 L so 1.5 cents/minute LD)
12 months, no contract, call back in 12 to renew...

Rogers Home Phone for my area is 26.91 each with no LD package. 12 months promo, 36.91 after that. Note; all Rogers features jump 50% March 1, $4 goes to $6.
Sep 2, 2007
621 posts
116 upvotes
Funny thing about touch tone, it costs the phone companies more to provide dial service than it does to provided touch tone

There is a piece of equipment in the central office that is required to receive the dial pulses from a dial phone

We are retired Bell employees so we get a discount on our Bell services and we had just dial service
We now pay $14.96 ($22.92 less the employee discount of $7.96 ) this includes touch tone

So much for a combined service of 70 years, we get the employee discount...lol
May 23, 2006
530 posts
52 upvotes
Is anyone else paying a $6.95/month 'Network Charge'? Here's what my Bell bill looks like;

1 Residence line 24.19
1 Digital Bundle - Long Distance plan 11.95
1 Network Charge 6.95
1 911 emergency service access 0.17
1 Touch-Tone service 2.80

I called and cancelled my Internet with Bell this morning, and will be doing the same with my home phone soon as well. If I could get the bill lowered down to $15/month + the LD, I'd probably just stay with them.