Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2016 9:35 am
Apr 29, 2011
37 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Called and said, I received a call from Bell asking me to call for an offer, immediately routed to the Loyalty Department.

Currently have no plan on home phone and pay $37.97 (plan+touchtone+911). Without having to ask for anything he offered $9.95 Home Phone Lite. When asked for Caller Id (the only other feature I need), it went up to $19.99 with other crap thrown in. Could not get it reduced it any way. Accepted.

Currently have Fibe 12, with 50GB/month at $59.90 (incl. $4.95 modem lease). Offered new Fibe 12 plan 40GB at $25.97. I asked for increased bandwidth, he doubled it for free.

He said my previous bundle discounts for home phone and internet at $5.00 each is no longer applicable. When pressed he offered a $5.00 discount. So, the new plans stand at

Home phone (with caller id, call waiting, etc) - $19.95
Fibe 12 Internet plan (with 80 gb bandwidth) - $25.97
Less total discount $5.00, new phone + internet at ~ $41.00

My sincere thanks to the OP and everyone who posted here.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2867 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
called earlier today and they lowered my phone bill from $43.xx to 9.95 and also got $20 off each month for belltv.

thanks OP!
Jul 7, 2005
390 posts
20 upvotes
It must be fate that I found this thread tonight. I was visiting my parents house only to learn that they were paying exorbitant monthly bills for their home phone via bell. Then I was surfing rfd and found this deal

25 dollar base plan with touchtone fee, non published listing service $2, call waiting $9.

What the heck is the non published listing service? And they certainly dont need call waiting. It really puts me off that bell is overcharging senior citizens that have been long time, loyal customers.

I'll be calling bell to see If I can switch to the lite plan. Thanks op!

*as an aside, funny that bell autocorrected to hell on iPhone.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2011 upvotes
Nowhere
mogmatt wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 8:52 pm
25 dollar base plan with touchtone fee, non published listing service $2, call waiting $9.

What the heck is the non published listing service? And they certainly dont need call waiting. It really puts me off that bell is overcharging senior citizens that have been long time, loyal customers.

I would assume it is an unlisted number. As for taking advantage of seniors, several years back I saw my aunt's phone bill and noticed that she was being billed monthly for a long distance plan. She never requested it because she never made long distance calls. I went through her bills and found in very small print when it was added in. Most seniors couldn't read that print, let alone my aunt who was legally blind. I called up and gave them hell and got all the charges reversed. Since she was legally blind, they also took off the charges for directory assistance as she could not read the phone book. How many seniors don't have family members to look over their bills for them. In fact out of pride, most seniors don't want to ask for help. I only saw the bill because I walked in when my aunt was struggling with a magnifying glass to read the bill. Shame on Bell and others like them.
Jun 6, 2005
67 posts
4 upvotes
Hello

It is for not being listed in the directory. Keep in mind that if you want to BLOCK your number when calling out this is not part of the service and you need to push *67 to do that. (You could technically call in to request a perm block but it's not really a good idea as there can be a variety of impacting factors that might not be beneficial. You can call in and ask to be listed as Private Name but the number will show also.

Some other tips especially for seniors over the last few years detailed billing has come out so please look at all the charges and make sure that you understand what is there.

1. Directory Assistance Exemption - Anyone over 65 can qualify for this and most agents will be able to add this without much details or questioning. Keep in mind it is for Canadian 411s

2. Please check over older customers bills for rental handsets that you are not sure about, or even if you are sure. These units continue to rise in price and some customers have had them on their accounts for 30+ years and paying 10.00 a month or something for a rental that they might not even have any more is ridiculous. Don't expect too much of a back credit

3. Confusing Bill - The Bell one bill is very confusing for a lot of people. (even the CSRS) Specifically how payments / adjustments are accomplished. They will not appear in the right side services section, they will appear on the left side under the totals and unless you are looking out for the overall balances etc you might not realize it.

Anyway just some tips I have heard

Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 9:16 pm
I would assume it is an unlisted number. As for taking advantage of seniors, several years back I saw my aunt's phone bill and noticed that she was being billed monthly for a long distance plan. She never requested it because she never made long distance calls. I went through her bills and found in very small print when it was added in. Most seniors couldn't read that print, let alone my aunt who was legally blind. I called up and gave them hell and got all the charges reversed. Since she was legally blind, they also took off the charges for directory assistance as she could not read the phone book. How many seniors don't have family members to look over their bills for them. In fact out of pride, most seniors don't want to ask for help. I only saw the bill because I walked in when my aunt was struggling with a magnifying glass to read the bill. Shame on Bell and others like them.
Jul 28, 2011
218 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing beats voip.ms. Have them for 3 years now. Spent few ours to setup everything and haven't touched it since. There is ton of included options but I'm using just basic stuff. I can't see myself going back to traditional landline ever again. I'm not big talker so my monthly bill is never more than $3-$4 including $1 for 911. But even if you like to talk minute is half cent (yes, 1/2 of the cent) so I guess you'll survive somehow.

I can't believe people still pay $30 for landline... just can't believe it...
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2430 posts
304 upvotes
North York
Can some please explain the difference ? I am currently with Primus and find them expensive - so looking to shift - was going to call Bell to see if I can get the Lite but saw int he above post about voip.ms.
Dec 19, 2010
609 posts
156 upvotes
When they first brought touch tone to our area a number of years ago, my MIL fight tooth and nail against a mandatory charge to switch over and to this day their phone line is still pulse and on an OLD legacy plan. Maybe now they can make the switch for no charge. :-p
Jul 31, 2005
116 posts
10 upvotes
I have the ATA purchased from Primus, is it possible to use the same ATA (Linksys SPA2102) for voip.ms services or I have to buy a new one?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
Inno wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 3:23 pm
What do you mean by "make sure you are not on a legacy plan"?

When I posted that they had me believing that TouchTone had been eliminated. I asked "Is Touch Tone and extra charge above the 14.95 total??" and they replied "No, touch tone and 911 is included in the 14.95". So I thought that finally Touch Tone had been removed and had simply become part of a 14.95 charge.

What she meant was "We give you a discount to reduce the overall cost of the line, 911 and TT to 14.95, touch tone is still a chargeable item".

Sorry to confuse.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2004
1735 posts
301 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 8:58 pm
When I posted that they had me believing that TouchTone had been eliminated. I asked "Is Touch Tone and extra charge above the 14.95 total??" and they replied "No, touch tone and 911 is included in the 14.95". So I thought that finally Touch Tone had been removed and had simply become part of a 14.95 charge.

What she meant was "We give you a discount to reduce the overall cost of the line, 911 and TT to 14.95, touch tone is still a chargeable item".

Sorry to confuse.

It would be beneficial to edit your thread title with this new information.
Sword of Omens....Give me deals beyond deals!
Feb 1, 2007
808 posts
135 upvotes
Aurora
I got 14.95/m without bundle. I'm using teksavvy internet. Thanks OP.
Dec 17, 2008
93 posts
15 upvotes
I called bell over the weekend. They didn't transfer me over to their loyalty department, but the "nice girl on the phone" handled it all for me. I was paying $24.95/month, plus TT and 911. They had already given me a $5.00 off promo per month due to some installation issues I had when I signed up with Bell a few months back. I was told that the $14.95/month rate was this $5.00 off promo and the $5.00 bundle discount combined off of the $24.95 monthly rate. Turns out I wasn't being credited the bundle discount. So It's now $14.95/month, but she said TT and 911 are then added ontop of that. She also said their rates for Home Phone Lite are rising by $2.00 at the end of this month, so my $14.95 will now be $16.95.

Should I be calling back? Or did she correctly credit my account the way it should be?

On a side note, the bundle discount will start applying itself to my bill in 2 months.. and they "can't backdate" for the months that I should have been receiving this. I complained, but didn't get anywhere. anyone else have this issue?
Mar 2, 2006
138 posts
13 upvotes
shol wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 9:29 pm

2. Please check over older customers bills for rental handsets that you are not sure about, or even if you are sure. These units continue to rise in price and some customers have had them on their accounts for 30+ years and paying 10.00 a month or something for a rental that they might not even have any more is ridiculous. Don't expect too much of a back credit

My parents were paying a rental fee for 20+ years on a phone you would pay no more than $5 for. Fortunately I got rid of that charge about 10 years ago. How many millions did Bell rake in from these rental fees on unsuspecting seniors.
Mar 2, 2006
138 posts
13 upvotes
sheriffabc wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 1:25 am
Can some please explain the difference ? I am currently with Primus and find them expensive - so looking to shift - was going to call Bell to see if I can get the Lite but saw int he above post about voip.ms.

+1 I am with Primus VOIP. $28 tax in for home phone (all features) + unlimited LD in Can/US.

I would like to cut this down if possible.

voip.ms looks interesting. Looks like it would be $99 for the equipment. Correct?
Anyone have experience porting a primus voip number over to voip.ms?