Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2016 9:35 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2673 upvotes
Vancouver
billrush wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:23 pm
Funny thing about touch tone, it costs the phone companies more to provide dial service than it does to provided touch tone

There is a piece of equipment in the central office that is required to receive the dial pulses from a dial phone
Quite true, I remember that from my old Northern Telecom Telephony classes many years ago. Not only that, people dialing by pulses tie up the dialing equipment for longer, so the phone company needs more of it, and that costs them extra as well. But they got approval from the CRTC 40 years ago to charge extra for touch-tone dialing because it was new, and they just never got rid of the charge.

Now I pay about $3/month to voip.ms for complete phone service, no more silly fees.
Apr 19, 2004
767 posts
175 upvotes
Earth
Bell is so stupid. I left 20 years ago just because of this stupid money grabbing touch tone thing. I'm sure they made millions off the $2.40 charge on customers but not me. Based on what I have with all 4 serices and 3 cells with rogers over the last 20 years Bell lost $57000. Yikkies I pay rogers too much too!!
Sep 28, 2004
984 posts
131 upvotes
Another vote for VoIP.ms, if you have the technical savvy and patience to set it up. <$5 a month for everything can't be beat.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1041 posts
63 upvotes
Quebec
Does this work if you only have one service with Bell or do you need 2 to get the $5 bundle discount?
Bell started charging me the $2.80 fee a while ago saying that since I had added some service in the past that I could not continue to have pulse dial for free and would be charged the $2.80 ripoff fee. :facepalm:
Sep 2, 2007
668 posts
163 upvotes
cdooer wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:38 pm
Is anyone else paying a $6.95/month 'Network Charge'? Here's what my Bell bill looks like;

1 Residence line 24.19
1 Digital Bundle - Long Distance plan 11.95
1 Network Charge 6.95
1 911 emergency service access 0.17
1 Touch-Tone service 2.80

I called and cancelled my Internet with Bell this morning, and will be doing the same with my home phone soon as well. If I could get the bill lowered down to $15/month + the LD, I'd probably just stay with them.
Network charge is for long distance, so your LD package really costs $18.90

We have a Magicjack that I just renewed for five years for $69.95. The sound quality is sometimes not the best but you are paying $1137 for the same thing
For that I will put up with the Magicjack.
Jan 4, 2012
168 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Is this applicable to plans with calling features (ie. voicemail, call waiting, caller id, visual caller id etc..) or is this just for the basic line?
May 23, 2006
530 posts
52 upvotes
billrush wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:51 pm
Network charge is for long distance, so your LD package really costs $18.90

We have a Magicjack that I just renewed for five years for $69.95. The sound quality is sometimes not the best but you are paying $1137 for the same thing
For that I will put up with the Magicjack.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks. If I can get the Home Phone Lite for $15, I might go with Skype for the long distance ($3/month). We need new phones anyway, so I may just buy Skype phones that do analog and VOIP. That way I can keep my local number for inbound calls, and then use Skype for the long distance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
loveagooddeal1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:04 pm
Is this applicable to plans with calling features (ie. voicemail, call waiting, caller id, visual caller id etc..) or is this just for the basic line?
As it is often said on RFD, phone in and ask. How can people here be expected to know what your plan is? or even where u live?
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
Huge thanks OP!! I just called and spoke to loyalty and saved almost $40/month! :)

I currently have home phone and internet so I get a $10 bundle discount. Said I wanted to cancel my home phone and was offered this: Home Phone Lite for 14.95/month ($9.99 with my bundle discount). However, I currently have caller ID which is $10.95/month. The Lite for $14.95 didn't include caller ID, however, she told me that it's included in the Home Phone Basic plan which is reg. $36.95/mo but is on promotion for $14.97 off/mo for 1 yr = $24.95/mo ($19.95 with bundle discount). So I decided to go for Basic with caller ID even though it's still about $10/mo more than Lite, since I wanted to keep it. The plan includes all fees (touch tone and 911).

Then she said she could give me a better deal on my internet. I currently have Internet Essential Plus (cheapest) as Performance wasn't available in my area before. She offered to upgrade me to Performance (faster) which is on for 50% off for 1 yr = $24.48 ($19.98 with bundle discount). This also includes 25GB of bandwidth (Essential was only 2GB but I was paying an extra $5/mo insurance for an extra 40GB) - they allowed me to keep the extra 40GB and waive the $5/mo fee I was paying. So now I have an extra 25GB/mo.

The plans and prices I got are for 1 year (no contract) and I can call in after a year and see what they have then.

So...all in all I'm now paying $39.43 + tax/mo for phone AND internet (faster with more bandwidth), which is almost $40 less!! :D My bill from last month was $77.69 + tax. So glad I called in and thanks again OP!

edit - this came at the perfect time for me too (my cat was just diagnosed with diabetes and I have vet bills and food & insulin to buy every month)...I was seriously considering which one of either home phone or cable TV I was going to have to cancel, but now I don't have to!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
cdooer wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:38 pm
Is anyone else paying a $6.95/month 'Network Charge'? Here's what my Bell bill looks like;

1 Residence line 24.19
1 Digital Bundle - Long Distance plan 11.95
1 Network Charge 6.95
1 911 emergency service access 0.17
1 Touch-Tone service 2.80

I called and cancelled my Internet with Bell this morning, and will be doing the same with my home phone soon as well. If I could get the bill lowered down to $15/month + the LD, I'd probably just stay with them.
Bell has a great deal on Internet now, what are you moving to in order to save money?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
kayeyeare wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:44 pm
Huge thanks OP!! I just called and spoke to loyalty and saved almost $40/month! :)

I currently have home phone and internet so I get a $10 bundle discount. Said I wanted to cancel my home phone and was offered this: Home Phone Lite for 14.95/month ($9.99 with my bundle discount). However, I currently have caller ID which is $10.95/month. The Lite for $14.95 didn't include caller ID, however, she told me that it's included in the Home Phone Basic plan which is reg. $36.95/mo but is on promotion for $14.97 off/mo for 1 yr = $24.95/mo ($19.95 with bundle discount). So I decided to go for Basic with caller ID even though it's still about $10/mo more, since I wanted to keep it. The plan includes all fees (touch tone and 911).

Then she said she could give me a better deal on my internet. I currently have Internet Essential Plus (cheapest) as Performance wasn't available in my area before. She offered to upgrade me to Performance (faster) which is on for 50% off for 1 yr = $24.48 ($19.98 with bundle discount). This also includes 25GB of bandwidth (Essential was only 2GB but I was paying an extra $5/mo insurance for an extra 40GB) - they allowed me to keep the extra 40GB and waive the $5/mo fee I was paying.

The plans and prices I got are for 1 year (no contract) and I can call in after a year and see what they have then.

So...all in all I'm now paying $39.43 + tax/mo for phone AND internet (faster with more bandwidth)!! :D My bill from last month was $77.69 + tax! So glad I called in and thanks again OP!
I am glad you saved and I'm sure you'd buy me a beer if u were closer. But tell me, if someone did all the work and made those savings happen would you pay 25% of year 1 savings to have it done for you?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
JamesA1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:44 pm
Quite true, I remember that from my old Northern Telecom Telephony classes many years ago. Not only that, people dialing by pulses tie up the dialing equipment for longer, so the phone company needs more of it, and that costs them extra as well. But they got approval from the CRTC 40 years ago to charge extra for touch-tone dialing because it was new, and they just never got rid of the charge.

Now I pay about $3/month to voip.ms for complete phone service, no more silly fees.
My MIL has no internet, so cell or bell were my choices, would have gone MagicJack maybe. 911 is good for older folks too. But I guess your voip can handle 911 fairly easily??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
cdooer wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:05 pm
Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks. If I can get the Home Phone Lite for $15, I might go with Skype for the long distance ($3/month). We need new phones anyway, so I may just buy Skype phones that do analog and VOIP. That way I can keep my local number for inbound calls, and then use Skype for the long distance.
Be sure to set up Skype so computer calls ring over to your land line for easy answering. Free.
Nov 28, 2007
612 posts
17 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:47 pm
if someone did all the work and made those savings happen would you pay 25% of year 1 savings to have it done for you?

Very curious to see where this is going to go. Sounds like the start of a conversation with that one friend we all seem to have, who is always involved in pyramid schemes or network/multilevel(I forget their new label) marketing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
samj1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:47 pm
Another vote for VoIP.ms, if you have the technical savvy and patience to set it up. <$5 a month for everything can't be beat.
Technically incorrect for some users. How much is the internet access to using VOIP? If you're reading this you have net access but my MIL has none so $15 is still good. She has Rogers TV tho so I will call and see if I can get 90% off net... VOIP and 911 do not work well still, is that right? Would an address pop up if she calls 911 on VOIP?? Serious question, I dunno.