Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2016 9:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
mcg wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 12:32 pm
Interested in this too, touchtone gets pretty pricey over a year's time.
Just call and order it from Loyalty.
May 23, 2006
530 posts
52 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:46 pm
Bell has a great deal on Internet now, what are you moving to in order to save money?

I've been a DSL customer for 7 years, my bill for 6Mbps down is $50/month. I've got a 25GB cap that I constantly go over, and lately my bill has been around $70/month. Last time I called and asked if they could do something to lower the bill, they offered $5 off of what I was paying. It was a joke. Of course when I called to cancel this morning, they offered to cut my bill in half for the next year and up my data allowance, all with no contract.

Just sucks that they couldn't do that when I called yesterday. I'm gonna go with Teksavvy..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
DubKrazy wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:56 pm
Very curious to see where this is going to go. Sounds like the start of a conversation with that one friend we all seem to have, who is always involved in pyramid schemes or network/multilevel(I forget their new label) marketing.
Nope, I spend so much time making these savings call for friends and relatives they all tell me I should go into business. I know everyone does not read RFD (but they should) so I am mulling over how to turn it into a business. I imagine Bell/Rogers would get pretty tired of talking to me on behalf of others. I am doing a trial on a friend with 3 cells, TV and Net with Rogers, Bell home phone. They get NO DISCOUNTS after 20 years as a customer, because they do not have the time or courage to call. The target is $322 a month. I know I can drop huge amounts just moving them to pay per use cell, Bell Fibe 25 and Bell Lite. If they paid me 25% of year 1 savings that would be nice coin for the work. Friends get it free though. ALl they do is approve my plan and i do all the work after that approval.

If that works I'll canvas 20 homes through a flyer as a sample on my street. My percentage feedback will let me know if there is a market.

No pyramids or MLM, I am greedy.
Mar 21, 2009
190 posts
488 upvotes
Canada
Thanks OP! Got through to the loyalty dept and was offered the same deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2010
1001 posts
236 upvotes
Aurora
malyq wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 3:05 pm
Thanks OP! Got through to the loyalty dept and was offered the same deal.
Yahoo! I am on a roll! Well done! How much did you save a year?
May 23, 2006
530 posts
52 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 3:06 pm

Is there a direct number into the loyalty or retention dept for home phone?
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
cdooer wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 3:08 pm
Is there a direct number into the loyalty or retention dept for home phone?

I just called 310-BELL, but I waited until they listed the menus options to where they say "or please say what you are calling about"... and said "cancel home phone" - this got me directly through to loyalty.
Nov 28, 2007
613 posts
17 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Yahoo! I am on a roll!
... how do you figure?

Regarding your business idea, have you thought about how you will go about getting "authorized user" status in order to make changes for all these accounts? Obviously this won't be a problem for friends, but might be an issue for people you don't know.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6320 posts
765 upvotes
Toronto
boblepp wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 12:01 pm
I know, you hate Bell....

Ontario

But, I called today to cancel my MIL's phone at the home and go to Wind with a Link-to-cell Panasonic....

Bell offered me "Home Phone Lite" $14.97 + HST a month versus $31 approx. total I pay now. I hated the touchtone charge. An LD plan is required, but they have a 'free' one if you use no LD at all, and then it charges 2.95 a month ONLY IF YOU DIAL ONE LD CALL IN A MONTH... so.... she does not call LD at all (well, on purpose anyway)

No contract.

12 month promo, but "Call back in 12 months and we'll talk".

So $30.57 total should drop to $14.97 X 1.13 = $16.91, saving $163 a year

I retain 911 service and avoid complication of change, old folks hate that.

So, check your elderly relatives' Bell home phone plans, they will not get a call to offer this for obvious reasons. I knew "Home Phone Lite" only as the way I reduced my 2 copper lines costs. They charged 39.95 and threw in 1200 LD minutes and a $5 credit but added 6.95 LD plan. This 14.97 is even better so now I have to call for myself. They will argue 1200 LD is worth the difference and that my well be. I found this year at 'renewal' time that having Fibe made the renewal of the deal almost automatic, no arguing at all.

The Wind free incoming on prepaid is a great offering though.

What do you mean by "make sure you are not on a legacy plan"?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1618 posts
224 upvotes
Where does it state that there is no touch tone charge? Does one just complain about it? Just wondering if the 14.97 includes touch tone. Thanks in advance.
Mar 21, 2009
190 posts
488 upvotes
Canada
boblepp wrote:

I will be saving approx $175 after tax :) I called 310-BELL for home phone and asked if they had any promotions, they transferred me to the loyalty dept. The price includes everything except for taxes. Thanks again!
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18858 posts
5659 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
My grandparents still have rotary service and don't care either way. :P
Jan 5, 2004
446 posts
132 upvotes
Thanks OP... just got myself the promo... saved a tons :D
Only have to remember to call back in 12 months to get another promo.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2014 upvotes
Nowhere
martianmarvin wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 1:49 pm
Does this work if you only have one service with Bell or do you need 2 to get the $5 bundle discount?
Bell started charging me the $2.80 fee a while ago saying that since I had added some service in the past that I could not continue to have pulse dial for free and would be charged the $2.80 ripoff fee. :facepalm:

This is not true. They can not charge extra for pulse or force you to switch to touch tone if you are a pulse user. They tried to switch everyone over to touch tone but the seniors complained and they had to back down. I believe there was a CRTC ruling but not sure. There are some services that won't sell unless you have touch tone like call answer even though it works fine with pulse. I have never had touch tone and refuse to switch as long as they are charging extra for it. I had Call Answer for a while then they told me I couldn't have it unless I switched to touch tone so I cancelled it. I wasn't going to pay them anymore money. They claimed it didn't work with pulse which was untrue. About 6 years ago, they started billing me for touch tone service claiming I had it when I didn't but I fought them on that and got the charges removed. These days they no longer bug me about my touch tone, 15 - 20 years ago, it was a different story. Any contact with Bell and they tried to get you to switch. I guess lucky for me that I got my first phone line in my name as a teenager so I have been grandfathered in.
Nov 29, 2011
486 posts
718 upvotes
London
boblepp wrote:
Jan 16th, 2012 2:47 pm
I am glad you saved and I'm sure you'd buy me a beer if u were closer. But tell me, if someone did all the work and made those savings happen would you pay 25% of year 1 savings to have it done for you?
Well, here you go! ;) I think charging 25% for your services sounds pretty fair - or maybe you could start by charging 2 months of the first year savings, then I think people might go for it...good luck with it!

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/op6att.jpg[/IMG]