Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2016 9:35 am
Nov 19, 2013
81 posts
2 upvotes
Egbert
Anyone know if this deal is still available? I'm getting sick of paying $60 a month for a phone we barely use?
[OP]
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
Just call and ask for loyalty. Tell them your wife is all over you to cancel and use your cell or VOIP. Simply ask politely if they can get you under $20. Ay 60 you must have a lot of add ons. Get rid of any long distance packages for sure. Go with third party.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
2995 posts
528 upvotes
mymadelynn2 wrote:
May 6th, 2016 9:08 am
Anyone know if this deal is still available? I'm getting sick of paying $60 a month for a phone we barely use?
The deal is dead, but as the OP has said, you can call and ask (I negotiated a monthly discount to $30, but I have satellite TV from them. My line has all the bells and whistles and price is dependent on where you live).

I use YAK for Long Distance - no connect charges, no fees, no codes to dial. Just sign up and then use your phone normally. They charge something like 3 cents per minute for North American LD and every few months they charge my cc for the 50 cents or so of long distance I do use.
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
mymadelynn2 wrote:
May 6th, 2016 9:08 am
Get rid of Call Display, Call Waiting, LD plan on Bell line, Voice Mail etc and you shouldn't pay 60 bucks. Just have a basic line, where you make and receive calls that's all, and no additional features.

Or switch to TekSavvy if you can. Their features are very cheap compared to Bell. For example CD on TekSavvy is only $ 3/month on Bell landline its $ 10/month !!!
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
fredsmith wrote:
May 6th, 2016 9:48 am
The deal is dead, but as the OP has said, you can call and ask (I negotiated a monthly discount to $30, but I have satellite TV from them. My line has all the bells and whistles and price is dependent on where you live).

I use YAK for Long Distance - no connect charges, no fees, no codes to dial. Just sign up and then use your phone normally. They charge something like 3 cents per minute for North American LD and every few months they charge my cc for the 50 cents or so of long distance I do use.

G3 Telecom
is better for LD. I have that on my Bell home landline. Very good NA LD rates and International rates. Plus you can add your cell phones to the same LD plan. So whether I call from my cell or landline I get the same cheap LD rates.

No fees , no network charges, no administrative fees, no maintenance nothing. You can even go for prepaid, so don't have to worry about monthly charges. Every 6 months or so I pay 10 bucks that's enough for all the calls I make. Plus detailed and itemized bill available on their website.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
2995 posts
528 upvotes
tangerinebarbiegirl wrote:
May 7th, 2016 9:12 am

G3 Telecom
is better for LD. I have that on my Bell home landline. Very good NA LD rates and International rates. Plus you can add your cell phones to the same LD plan. So whether I call from my cell or landline I get the same cheap LD rates.

No fees , no network charges, no administrative fees, no maintenance nothing. You can even go for prepaid, so don't have to worry about monthly charges. Every 6 months or so I pay 10 bucks that's enough for all the calls I make. Plus detailed and itemized bill available on their website.
You can do the same with Yak, and I suppose they'd allow you to prepay, but why?
[OP]
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
fredsmith wrote:
May 8th, 2016 3:16 am
You can do the same with Yak, and I suppose they'd allow you to prepay, but why?
Yak is not very low cost for LD. EasyVoice out of Oshawa has better rates...eg Canada and USA at .03 vs Yak at .035 and Europe is also much cheaper. So check the countries you call before signing up with Yak or any provider.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8048 posts
1889 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
boblepp wrote:
May 8th, 2016 5:33 am
Yak is not very low cost for LD. EasyVoice out of Oshawa has better rates...eg Canada and USA at .03 vs Yak at .035 and Europe is also much cheaper.
Talk about splitting hairs. So 3¢/min is "very low cost" but 3½¢ isn't??? How many hours must one spend on the phone to make the difference significant? And if that's really an issue then learn how to set up Fongo or Skype, etc. at both ends and make LD calls entirely free.
So check the countries you call before signing up with Yak or any provider.
Also check the provider and their reputation, reliability, billing options, etc. I don't know the other LD providers but I have used Yak for many years. If the difference between Yak and the "lowest" cost provider is ½¢/min then I'd stick with Yak just because I know who I'm dealing with.

As for the suggestion to get POTS via TekSavvy, that can be difficult because the Bhell Bhastards™ have stopped TSI from switching existing Bhell customers over. But if you manage to do it, they charge only 2.9¢/min. So I suppose by comparison that must mean that even EasyVoice isn't "very low cost" either ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
bylo wrote:
May 8th, 2016 7:39 am
Talk about splitting hairs. So 3¢/min is "very low cost" but 3½¢ isn't??? How many hours must one spend on the phone to make the difference significant? And if that's really an issue then learn how to set up Fongo or Skype, etc. at both ends and make LD calls entirely free.

Also check the provider and their reputation, reliability, billing options, etc. I don't know the other LD providers but I have used Yak for many years. If the difference between Yak and the "lowest" cost provider is ½¢/min then I'd stick with Yak just because I know who I'm dealing with.
...snip ;)
This is a deals forum so a 14% savings on North America is significant. Ebilling and credit card charging for travel miles.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8048 posts
1889 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
boblepp wrote:
May 8th, 2016 8:05 am
This is a deals forum so a 14% savings on North America is significant.
If one does enough LD that 14% is significant then presumably so is TSI's 4% even lower rates, never mind Fongo, Skype, et al for free. Some people may not like the quality of VoIP for general use. But for lengthy, international calls I can live with that considering it doesn't cost me anything.
Ebilling and credit card charging for travel miles.
Both Yak and TSI offer this as well.

The real issue isn't whether X is significantly lower cost than Y, but rather (a) that someone who does a lot of LD should explore all options and (b) it's not hard to find alternatives that are far, far lower in cost than Bhell's ridiculous rack rates.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
ANYONE who pays Bell for LD is nuts. Simply nuts.
Nov 19, 2013
81 posts
2 upvotes
Egbert
All we have for extra's is the $5 long distance package and call display. Its crazy. The cheapest bell plan online is $38
Tek Savvy isn't available here.
× < >