• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:39 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5830 posts
988 upvotes

Bell to Increase Internet Prices !

As if they weren't dumb enough while all third party ISP's are lowering their prices !
Where do they get these guys at BHell ? ....seriously

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-tv ... -1.3941455
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 18th, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title so it appears in searches
66 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1512 posts
494 upvotes
The NORTH
:facepalm:

Thank God I don't have to deal with a national company or local reseller!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10271 posts
639 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Telus has taken a new approach to increasing prices, which is to reduce discounts for bundling. It's currently $5 off per service if you subscribe to two or more. However, that discount will be reduced to $3 off soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2734 posts
201 upvotes
Nations Capital
rabbit wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 3:08 am
Telus has taken a new approach to increasing prices, which is to reduce discounts for bundling. It's currently $5 off per service if you subscribe to two or more. However, that discount will be reduced to $3 off soon.
Telus is a bit late in the game for that approach. Bell has already done that!
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1452 posts
603 upvotes
Hamilton
Go Teksavvy! My plan got dropped by $10, I'm happy.
Dec 1, 2011
136 posts
36 upvotes
DARTMOUTH
I had been considering staying with Bell as they did have good speeds and I've never had downtime. The prices have been continually going up almost every month it seems though. With another $5 a month on it I will definitely be switching to Eastlink or City Wide (Atlantic Province). I REALLY wish they had more competition here. It's BS.
Aug 19, 2013
173 posts
32 upvotes
Etobicoke
I had cancelled all Bell services in 2014, both Internet and TV, and never look back. I hate their frequent price increases.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1512 posts
494 upvotes
The NORTH
Did the title of this thread change or am I imagining things....
Jan 18, 2017
2 posts
So I just tried to cancel my Bell Internet to get TekSavvy, but keep my Bell Fibe because... programming. And Rogers service sucks in my building (had a tech guy there every couple of months).

Bell tells me they can't cancel my internet without cancelling my Fibe for technical reasons (apparently the internet facilitates the Fibe)!!!? What!?!?

Sidenote: Every suite in My building just got fitted with these special devices on the wall that they told us was for Bell Fibe capabilities. Does anyone know if these can be used instead of the internet, so I can partially free myself from Bell's price gauging???
Jan 18, 2017
2 posts
So I just tried to cancel my Bell Internet to get TekSavvy, but keep my Bell Fibe because... programming. And Rogers service sucks in my building (had a tech guy there every couple of months).

Bell tells me they can't cancel my internet without cancelling my Fibe for technical reasons (apparently the internet facilitates the Fibe)!!!? What!?!?

Sidenote: Every suite in My building just got fitted with these special devices on the wall that they told us was for Bell Fibe capabilities. Does anyone know if these can be used instead of the internet, so I can partially free myself from Bell's price gauging???
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5830 posts
988 upvotes
CurtisM317618 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 4:03 pm

Isn't Fibe TV satellite or is it internet based now ?
Some satellite receivers require internet to upgrade firmware or provide EPG etc...
Your building might be converting to FTTH(Fiber Optics) which at this time only BHell can provide as 3rd party ISPs like Teksavvy are shut out from competing in this category.

Do the jacks look something like this ?

Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4182 posts
2522 upvotes
North York
Stryker14 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 1:40 pm
I had been considering staying with Bell as they did have good speeds and I've never had downtime. The prices have been continually going up almost every month it seems though. With another $5 a month on it I will definitely be switching to Eastlink or City Wide (Atlantic Province). I REALLY wish they had more competition here. It's BS.
Seriously? 5 years of RFD experience, and you think it is okay?
This is their BS practice for all this time. Should have switched a lot earlier
How do I downvote this voting system?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14048 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a new customer so I could take advantage of a promo, and got this three service package from Bell for $118 per month (plus any minor price increases), on a 2 year contract:

Fibe Gigabit Ethernet with unlimited 1000/100 service
Home Hub 3000 Gateway (built in 4-hour battery, 802.11ac)

Good TV package
One add-on channel ($7)
HBO/TMN for 1 year
4K PVR
1 additional wireless HD receiver
Another additional wireless HD receiver for 1 year

Home phone lite

The Gigabit internet is $76, the Good TV is $32 + $7 for the extra channel = $39, and the Home phone is a freebee at 1 cent per month. There is also a bogus $3 digital service fee. Total $118.

After the one free year I will cancel HBO/TMN. The second extra wireless receiver will be charged at $7 per month after the first year. Not sure if I will keep that third box because I rarely watch on that third TV. I do expect Bell to raise the prices 5-10% over the course of 2 years, so by the end of the 2-year contract it might be as high as $130 (not counting HBO/TMN and the 3rd TV box).

However, after the two year contract is up, the prices will likely double. At that point I will negotiate with retentions. If they can't give me a good deal, I'll just leave.
CurtisM317618 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 4:35 pm

EdT586 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 3:59 am
Isn't Fibe TV satellite or is it internet based now ?
Some satellite receivers require internet to upgrade firmware or provide EPG etc...
Your building might be converting to FTTH(Fiber Optics) which at this time only BHell can provide as 3rd party ISPs like Teksavvy are shut out from competing in this category.
Fibe TV is IPTV, and runs on their fibre optic internet backbone. Yes, Bell had (and still has) satellite TV, but AFAIK it has never been called Fibe. Fibe is a Bell brand that refers to their fibre optic delivery. In the past it referred to mainly VDSL2 with FTTN technology. Nowadays they're pushing FTTH, even for regular detached homes in the city.

Obviously I will be getting FTTH, since my service with be Gigabit. Bell's VDSL2 maxes out at 50 Mbps. Note that I am not in a condo building. I am in a detached home in a quiet Toronto neighbourhood.

Curtis, the reason you need internet is because Fibe TV simply won't work without it. The same modem provides the internet and TV service.
Last edited by EugW on Jan 20th, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.