Computers & Electronics

Bell to Increase Internet Prices !

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:39 pm
Dec 24, 2011
102 posts
33 upvotes
Dont have any other option in Oakville so have to stay with them.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2005
2711 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 11:23 am
I'm a new customer so I could take advantage of a promo, and got this three service package from Bell for $118 per month (plus any minor price increases), on a 2 year contract:

Fibe Gigabit Ethernet with unlimited 1000/100 service
Home Hub 3000 Gateway (built in 4-hour battery, 802.11ac)

Good TV package
One add-on channel ($7)
HBO/TMN for 1 year
4K PVR
1 additional wireless HD receiver
Another additional wireless HD receiver for 1 year

Home phone lite

The Gigabit internet is $76, the Good TV is $32 + $7 for the extra channel = $39, and the Home phone is a freebee at 1 cent per month. There is also a bogus $3 digital service fee. Total $118.

After the one free year I will cancel HBO/TMN. The second extra wireless receiver will be charged at $7 per month after the first year. Not sure if I will keep that third box because I rarely watch on that third TV. I do expect Bell to raise the prices 5-10% over the course of 2 years, so by the end of the 2-year contract it might be as high as $130 (not counting HBO/TMN and the 3rd TV box).

However, after the two year contract is up, the prices will likely double. At that point I will negotiate with retentions. If they can't give me a good deal, I'll just leave.

Fibe TV is IPTV, and runs on their fibre optic internet backbone. Yes, Bell had (and still has) satellite TV, but AFAIK it has never been called Fibe. Fibe is a Bell brand that refers to their fibre optic delivery. In the past it referred to mainly VDSL2 with FTTN technology. Nowadays they're pushing FTTH, even for regular detached homes in the city.

Obviously I will be getting FTTH, since my service with be Gigabit. Bell's VDSL2 maxes out at 50 Mbps. Note that I am not in a condo building. I am in a detached home in a quiet Toronto neighbourhood.

Curtis, the reason you need internet is because Fibe TV simply won't work without it. The same modem provides the internet and TV service.

I just got something similar to this, from a door to door bell sales rep.

Gigabyte Fibe Internet, BETTER TV, lite Phone ---- but I only have 1 receiver for tv (4k pvr).
And I only get 2 months of HBO --- all for $100+Tax.

It was worth cancelling my rogers for this :)
Reference:
100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=41978
Nov 5, 2011
38 posts
6 upvotes
Noobcamper wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 3:12 pm
FYI, the reason you can't keep Fibe TV without internet is because Fibe TV is IPTV (i.e. Internet TV).
No, IPTV means Internet Protocol TV. Your TV signal never goes on the public Internet, it is delivered on Bell's private network.

Fibe TV to be offered without the need of Fibe Internet in Q1 2017 http://www.bce.ca/news-and-media/releas ... rly-2017-1
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14140 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
tdotcbc84 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:02 am
I just got something similar to this, from a door to door bell sales rep.

Gigabyte Fibe Internet, BETTER TV, lite Phone ---- but I only have 1 receiver for tv (4k pvr).
And I only get 2 months of HBO --- all for $100+Tax.

It was worth cancelling my rogers for this :)
Awesome. You got the BETTER deal. I should have pushed harder for the Better plan, but I'm happy enough with I got. What is your invoiced pricing for Better TV, and what discount? The reason your deal is better is not just because you got the Better plan but because even if you got two more HD receivers, it would only be $114. I'm paying $118 for that but with the lower TV package. But at least I get the full year of HBO, which is perfect for me so I can watch Game of Thrones this spring.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9217 posts
3302 upvotes
Ottawa
That's great news as a Bell shareholder with zero Bell products. Everyone is bitching they'll leave Bell..just like last time they hiked the price...and the time before that...and the time before that. They're not going anywhere...I'm convinced the average Canadians secretly likes getting it in the arse but telling everyone they hate it.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
123 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
People just don't realize that all 3 CEOs sleep in the same bed each night. Whoever did a better job gets to be the boss and begin the changes on the market and then everyone else follows suit.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3910 posts
365 upvotes
Montreal
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 2:17 pm
That's great news as a Bell shareholder with zero Bell products. Everyone is bitching they'll leave Bell..just like last time they hiked the price...and the time before that...and the time before that. They're not going anywhere...I'm convinced the average Canadians secretly likes getting it in the arse but telling everyone they hate it.
Not me. I left years ago and never looked back.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2091 posts
87 upvotes
$97.00
50 / 50 unlimited bandwidth. I'm quite happy. Go Bell!
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8
Gigabyte Z170X
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3400
Asus Strix 1080 GTX
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1160 posts
109 upvotes
Lévis
My advice:

You are not techy at all: go to costco, buy an ooma, try if you like it. if not return it. If yes, pay for a year. It's 100$/year for premium (plus tx).

You're a bit techy. There are other IP phone options for cheaper than ooma.

For internet: there's much better options than bhell.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1160 posts
109 upvotes
Lévis
My advice:

You are not techy at all: go to costco, buy an ooma, try if you like it. if not return it. If yes, pay for a year. It's 100$/year for premium (plus tx).

You're a bit techy. There are other IP phone options for cheaper than ooma.

For internet: there's much better options than bhell.
Pourquoi pas?
Sep 9, 2015
330 posts
150 upvotes
Nanaimo
i left bell during the PM deal. Bell can suck it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14140 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
S0lidus wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:01 pm
i left bell during the PM deal. Bell can suck it.
This is an internet service thread. PM doesn't sell home internet service.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2194 posts
252 upvotes
I Cant believe how many people still have bell homephone. I cancelled mine 10 years ago. At that time I was paying $34.99. I never trusted bell. And with start for 2 years. Then found out Rogers CAn offer me gigabit internet with cable $99 couldn't resist. If the reseller could offer 250mbit service for $75. I would never go Rogers either
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14140 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:07 pm
I Cant believe how many people still have bell homephone. I cancelled mine 10 years ago. At that time I was paying $34.99. I never trusted bell. And with start for 2 years. Then found out Rogers CAn offer me gigabit internet with cable $99 couldn't resist. If the reseller could offer 250mbit service for $75. I would never go Rogers either
As mentioned, I just signed on with Bell for Gigabit 1000/100 service plus their Good TV package plus Home phone for $104 (plus a few extra bucks for extra stuff on top of that plan. ie. Rogers and Bell have similar deals right now. I was eligible for Bell's Gigabit deal and I was probably also eligible for Roger's Gigabit deal too but I figured I'd give Bell a chance this time around since Rogers wasn't playing ball through retentions and because Rogers' Gigabit service is still a work in progress because of modem firmware issues and because of incomplete deployments to some neighbourhoods. Also, I was just curious about the whole FTTH thing, so I decided to try it first hand.

As for home phone, getting the home phone add-on for free was a nice bonus because it means I don't have to upgrade my home alarm system to GSM just yet, and I can still use my fax machine (although to be honest I only use it occasionally now, since my need for it mostly stopped about a year ago). However, it will be my second line. My main home phone line is a $10 per month cell based line using a ZTE WF721 adapter, which includes enhanced voicemail, Canada-wide calling, and caller ID.