• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:39 pm
Sep 9, 2015
307 posts
136 upvotes
Nanaimo
EugW wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:05 pm
This is an internet service thread. PM doesn't sell home internet service.
The article mentions that all their services are going up. Regardless, Bell can still suck it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14048 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
S0lidus wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:30 pm
The article mentions that all their services are going up. Regardless, Bell can still suck it.
Just to nitpick, that article doesn't discuss Bell Mobility at all. Oh and Rogers is raising prices as well.

P.S. Since we're talking about mobility now, I left Fido to go to PM, but came back for the Fido 6 GB for $60 plan. PM seems OK, but I was not particularly enthused by their customer service model and their no frills approach. Plus I really missed having Name Display and to a lesser extent missed iPhone Visual Voicemail.

But they're all incumbents anyway. Fido is Rogers, and Public Mobile is Telus, which ironically is partnered with Bell to share towers. If you really wanted to tell Bell and the other incumbents to suck it, you'd go to somebody like Freedom Mobile, but their cell infrastructure is horrible, so that's not recommended. ;)
Dec 21, 2011
122 posts
28 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Cancelled my 2 accounts already.
Bellas haemorrhaging cash and consumers have cut over 500,000 van lines alone last year.
There prices are not competitive and services can easily be found be elsewhere for less.
Probably a good stock to short.
Negative growth with increased operating costs makes investors bail on a stock.
Bell will be the next Nortel in 10 years.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4683 posts
801 upvotes
Milton
Looks like i need to look for another ISP by April. Hopefully i can get a similar deal to my current Bell gigabit internet / fibe tv for $90
Nov 18, 2015
551 posts
121 upvotes
with so many wholesalers popping up and people getting smart, why would the big guys raise prices? just stupid. only ones who don't care are those who don't check their bills or a senior who doesn't know about the modern world.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5830 posts
988 upvotes
karnige wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2017 2:49 pm
with so many wholesalers popping up and people getting smart, why would the big guys raise prices? just stupid. only ones who don't care are those who don't check their bills or a senior who doesn't know about the modern world.
In fact they are beyond stupid !
They control the actual physical network and yet they can sell to their incumbents and their incumbents in turn like Teksavvy, Carrytel etc... can sell at a much lower cost then they can !
I placed a long distance call once or twice a week one time and BHell phones me to inquire if I am a business or not and they will increase my cost if I was a business ...wtf where do they get these idiots to actually discourage customers from using their long distance services which by the way is the most expensive !
Sep 9, 2015
307 posts
136 upvotes
Nanaimo
EugW wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:38 pm
Just to nitpick, that article doesn't discuss Bell Mobility at all. Oh and Rogers is raising prices as well.

P.S. Since we're talking about mobility now, I left Fido to go to PM, but came back for the Fido 6 GB for $60 plan. PM seems OK, but I was not particularly enthused by their customer service model and their no frills approach. Plus I really missed having Name Display and to a lesser extent missed iPhone Visual Voicemail.

But they're all incumbents anyway. Fido is Rogers, and Public Mobile is Telus, which ironically is partnered with Bell to share towers. If you really wanted to tell Bell and the other incumbents to suck it, you'd go to somebody like Freedom Mobile, but their cell infrastructure is horrible, so that's not recommended. ;)
Wind (freedom) doesn't operate in my area. I am already with Telus for internet and TV, so I don't mind giving them money via PM. I don't really care who I go through as long as I get a good price. Bell has offered me nothing over the last several years I have been with them, and I just got tired of them raising rates, but offering less and less each year (for more money).
Jun 23, 2017
197 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I will continue to ignore the 'Come Back to Bell' correspondences from Bell. I've been a client since 1991 with Home phone and internet and long-distance (only calling family in canada, but I was on a LD plan) . ... last year I completely cut ties with Bell by going with Fido Home internet and Freephoneline VoIP saving me hundreds of dollars a year!
Jul 17, 2010
73 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Just found out this morning Bell increased my internet charge for $5 since February, and called Bell.
Rep. told me Bell sent out a notification Dec. 2016/Jan. 2017 about the increase and there is nothing they can do about that increase right now(or back then).

Spent quite some time try to tell them that's a breach of the contract i signed up for, no use.
Any one in the same shoes?
Any internet deals around now?

thanks,
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3122 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
i'd say cut them off for good

they had been doing that to my landline and internet back in the days, they will always increase the price without telling you. this will continue whether you like it or not
Jul 22, 2009
636 posts
112 upvotes
Brampton
Bhell does this every year, sneaky bastards.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2315 posts
1173 upvotes
Richmond
The cable/telcos don't usually offer a contract that specifies a fixed price. Instead they offer what they call a "service agreement", basically a one-sided contract where you agree to take their service for a fixed period with cancellation penalties, and they can charge you whatever they want. They are free to raise the price any time by any amount, and you are still required to keep paying them. Your sole remedy is to cancel and pay the specified cancellation penalty if you don't like it.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12119 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, I'm on bell and I got the notice months ago.