Shopping Discussion

Bell internet situation

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2012 7:04 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2283 posts

Bell internet situation

- We felt we were paying too much for internet. I called Bell and found out we were on a plan that had umlimited bandwidth (yes, I actually didn't know what plan we had; my parents handle the bills and we didn't have to change anything with the plan in 5+ years so I forgot).

- I was told by the CSR that the specific plan with the price we were paying is not available to new customers anymore.

- I was told they have a cheaper option but it included a bandwidth cap.

- CSR told me my average monthy internet usage. The cheaper plan suited my usage.

- A few days later, Bells sends me a new modem. I keep it un-opened.

- I install a bandwidth usage meter, use it for a few days at first, then a few weeks (the new modem box is still unopened).

- Over the course of the next few days/weeks, and eventually a full month, I discover we are using significantly more bandwidth than the CSR told us we were using. I didn't do anything differently during that month. To give a sense of the difference, in that one month, we used over double than what they said we use.

- It has been over a month since I called Bell.

- We received a new bill and everything was the same as our old bills.

-- What is the new modem for? I don't know much about technical details. Does the new plan begin when we install the new modem? (That's what I thought so I put it off until I got a sense of how much bandwidth we were really using.) Or do they change the plan right after you call them?

-- If I call them and say I don't want the new plan, will I have trouble going back/retaining the old plan since it's not offered anymore? Will they understand that I wanted to take some time to personally track my usage?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9304 posts
ouchhhh, you lost your grandfathered plan

well, there's 3rd party ISP you can get unlimited data from.

teksavvy is one.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7689 posts
Yep, they jibbed you out of your grandfathered plan which was a lot better then anything that's on offer. I'm surprised you didn't talk to retentions to work out anything with them since it looks like they just gave you a standard plan that's offered to all new customers.

The new modem they sent is most likely their automated system at work, the CSR switched you to a new plan and Bell's system automatically shipped you a new modem to go with it. Your new plan takes effect on either an agreed upon date, or as soon as the system updates your account, nothing to do with hooking up the new modem.

You will not be able to switch back to your old plan no matter what you do. It was grandfathered in, it's gone now and it's impossible for the system to switch you back, it's gone forever :(

BTW you can (and should) have tracked your own usage under the old plan on your own, never trust what the CSRs tells you. And even then I've always found their bandwidth usage meter to be very very sketchy.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
If you are not using it, send the new modem back before they start charging you for not returning the old one. They will catch on at some point.
Jul 7, 2011
515 posts
If you got fibe 25 plan then you will get the black "SAGEMCOM f@st" modem. if not the 25 then usually the white "2wire" modem. Yes you can call them to get back to ur old plan (That happened with me last week)
× < >