Tags:
None
Mar 31, 2008
80 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 24th, 2015 8:54 pm
As I stated in my post, I only have home phone with them. No other services. I don't even have any options added to my home phone nor do I use their long distance. Same with my father. My internet is with Teksavvy and my tv is OTA. Neither of us have a Bell cell phone. When the rep. mentioned bundling, I said "No, Bell is too expensive". He said nothing further and said he looked to see what discount he could offer and came back with $18.95 a month.
thanks i completely missed that.

i called today to negotiate my phone line as my $10 promo is expiring sept and the agent told me she can't make any changes to my promo till it expires. she started listing reasons why i should keep my homephone, and sounded like she was reading a script. she kept insisting 911 calls are more reliable on homephone. i am going to give it another shot before cancelling.

I also inquired about my tv as my $10 promo just expired and she advised she can not continue the $10 promo. The best she can do is offer free crave tv.

Then she went on trying to sell me internet insisting that i will get a better bundle discount... i tried to be polite, but playing nice with these guys dont seem to get you anywhere.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
1985 upvotes
Nowhere
TSizzle wrote:
Aug 24th, 2015 9:09 pm
thanks i completely missed that.

i called today to negotiate my phone line as my $10 promo is expiring sept and the agent told me she can't make any changes to my promo till it expires. she started listing reasons why i should keep my homephone, and sounded like she was reading a script. she kept insisting 911 calls are more reliable on homephone. i am going to give it another shot before cancelling.

I also inquired about my tv as my $10 promo just expired and she advised she can not continue the $10 promo. The best she can do is offer free crave tv.

Then she went on trying to sell me internet insisting that i will get a better bundle discount... i tried to be polite, but playing nice with these guys dont seem to get you anywhere.
Did you speak to the loyalty dept.? The other reps. can't offer a good discount. Choose cancel services off the voice prompt. Call back and hopefully you get someone else. Always say you are looking to cancel as it is too expensive. I just said the discount had expired and I was looking to see what they could offer or whether we were going to cancel. He did mumble something about reliability and such of a landline in a power failure. It sounded liked he was reading a script but he went so quick and mumbled that I could only make out the odd word. I know the benefits of a landline, that is why I have one and so do my parents.

I was told in the past that they had to wait until the current deal was over. I had them switch early once and it cheated me out of a better deal I was on plus I didn't get 12 full months of the next deal. My dad's expired Friday and mine expires on Sept. 6 so I asked if I could do it now or if I had to call back. He said I could do it now and set it up for Sept. 4. Obviously this is a better rate than I am currently paying but I didn't want to start it early and only get a partial month like they did before. I was told previously they had to do it the day you called so if you called early, your current deal ended and the new one begun. If it was only a week or two before your billing, it still counted as a whole month. So when it expired in the middle of your billing cycle, you went back to the full rate for a partial month. I know I had to do a lot of arguing to get my bill credited so now I just try to call as close as I can to the expiry. I forgot to call for my dad Friday as for some reason I thought it expired this Friday.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4794 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 24th, 2015 10:19 pm
Did you speak to the loyalty dept.? The other reps. can't offer a good discount. Choose cancel services off the voice prompt. Call back and hopefully you get someone else. Always say you are looking to cancel as it is too expensive. I just said the discount had expired and I was looking to see what they could offer or whether we were going to cancel. He did mumble something about reliability and such of a landline in a power failure. It sounded liked he was reading a script but he went so quick and mumbled that I could only make out the odd word. I know the benefits of a landline, that is why I have one and so do my parents.

I was told in the past that they had to wait until the current deal was over. I had them switch early once and it cheated me out of a better deal I was on plus I didn't get 12 full months of the next deal. My dad's expired Friday and mine expires on Sept. 6 so I asked if I could do it now or if I had to call back. He said I could do it now and set it up for Sept. 4. Obviously this is a better rate than I am currently paying but I didn't want to start it early and only get a partial month like they did before. I was told previously they had to do it the day you called so if you called early, your current deal ended and the new one begun. If it was only a week or two before your billing, it still counted as a whole month. So when it expired in the middle of your billing cycle, you went back to the full rate for a partial month. I know I had to do a lot of arguing to get my bill credited so now I just try to call as close as I can to the expiry. I forgot to call for my dad Friday as for some reason I thought it expired this Friday.
very fortunate ,but your post gives me hope at least

in the past i only get $10 for 6 months and they wanted me to wait for 2 billing cycles to have it re-added...i will push for 18 and have it applied for current promo end since i have home phone choice plus internet and tv
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 24th, 2015 5:30 pm
I called today and got $18 off for 12 months. So it is $18.95 a month for home phone lite. I asked for it first on my father's phone as his discount expired on Friday and then my phone as my discount expires in Sept. I was surprised as the last $10 discount was only for 6 months. Note neither one of us have any other Bell services like internet or tv and we have no added features on the phone. I have been with Bell for 30 yrs since I was a teenager but my dad has only been back with Bell for a yr and a half.

To bigmac22, there was no fight for this discount. I just called the loyalty department, someone picked up right away and I said our discount has expired what can you offer. He came back with the discount and I said yes.
Phoned in to the loyalty department just now. The agent claimed the best he could offer was $5/off per month, for a period of 6 months. I mentioned the $18/off and he said it was only available for persons who have a Bell trio bundle (i.e. phone, Internet, TV).

I may try again in a few days if anyone else can confirm getting this offer. Looks like Home Phone Lite (landline with no features whatsoever) costs a whopping $37.35 per month BEFORE taxes, so $18 off, while certainly still welcome, isn't all that much. Nonetheless, would like to know if this promotion is available or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4794 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
Apple IIGS wrote:
Aug 25th, 2015 2:40 pm
Phoned in to the loyalty department just now. The agent claimed the best he could offer was $5/off per month, for a period of 6 months. I mentioned the $18/off and he said it was only available for persons who have a Bell trio bundle (i.e. phone, Internet, TV).

I may try again in a few days if anyone else can confirm getting this offer. Looks like Home Phone Lite (landline with no features whatsoever) costs a whopping $37.35 per month BEFORE taxes, so $18 off, while certainly still welcome, isn't all that much. Nonetheless, would like to know if this promotion is available or not.
Cheap Cat wrote:

as i said cheap cats luck inspired me to call in and for once i hit the jackpot, relatively speaking

i have all 3 services, and was offered and accepted a $22 discount on home phone choice for 24 months, no contract! After bundle discount paying $26! Given that its a landline with many features, a reasonable price.

bills wont be generated for a while yet, but got my email confirm so for once im good to go!
Apr 29, 2012
271 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to see one claim that $18 is back. As for needing 3 services, they tried that BS before and it is not true. I only have home phone and still got it two years in a row. This condition will be waived for long time customers but it depends on which service rep you get. Of course that was then, things may have changed. I hope others will report success. I have to debate if it is worth dealing with them again.
Currently I have the access line with one feature for $32.xx. Home phone basic if I get $18 again would be $26.95, so is worth dealing with Bell for $5.80 a month for a mere 12months then I have to go back and do this agian. May not be able to get back on acess line if I leave. Correct me if I am wrong here. I also read a stray post somewhere that Bell has to ask permisson from the CRTC to raise the price on the access line but can't find that post anymore. I think this is true because the price did not go up in May. Anyone know when the next scheduled price increase will be? Something to look out for. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
1985 upvotes
Nowhere
rfduser199 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2015 10:53 am
Glad to see one claim that $18 is back. As for needing 3 services, they tried that BS before and it is not true. I only have home phone and still got it two years in a row. This condition will be waived for long time customers but it depends on which service rep you get. Of course that was then, things may have changed. I hope others will report success. I have to debate if it is worth dealing with them again.
Currently I have the access line with one feature for $32.xx. Home phone basic if I get $18 again would be $26.95, so is worth dealing with Bell for $5.80 a month for a mere 12months then I have to go back and do this agian. May not be able to get back on acess line if I leave. Correct me if I am wrong here. I also read a stray post somewhere that Bell has to ask permisson from the CRTC to raise the price on the access line but can't find that post anymore. I think this is true because the price did not go up in May. Anyone know when the next scheduled price increase will be? Something to look out for. Thanks.
My dad is not a continuous long term customer. He has only been back with Bell for 1.5 yrs but he always gets the same discounts as I do. I don't know if they give him credit for all the years he was with Bell before he switched.

As for CRTC, as far as I know when we first accepted these discounts we went to an unregulated plan. So I don't think the CRTC has to approve increases. I could be wrong. But I know they said it was unregulated. As a result, I had to finally give up my pulse dialing and switch to touch tone. Bell had tried over 20 yrs to get me off pulse unsuccessfully. At one point, they even started billing me for touch tone when I didn't have it and the CSR told me there was no such thing as pulse anymore.
Nov 11, 2010
238 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
rfduser199 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2015 10:53 am
Yes, the $18 discount for 12 months for Home Phone LIte is back. I got this deal a couple of weeks back and will also get an additional $3 bundle discount as I also have Internet.
Dec 5, 2004
173 posts
3 upvotes
I tried back in the spring to go through this with the CSR and never got any concessions .So with the latest increase in August after 22yrs with them it was time to move on .I've made the move to cable and voip and taken the saving's .No more Bell crap .Bell was the worst for soliciting with the do not call marketing in place.Now I've cut the tie completely and better off .
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4794 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
just to be clear, the discount i posted about above was a $22.99 credit, so even higher than the normal $18 from the past...and its for 2 years
Aug 16, 2009
725 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
I was able to get it down to $21.87 + tax. I only have the home phone service but not anything else. Good luck to all!
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
adeel wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 12:23 am
just to be clear, the discount i posted about above was a $22.99 credit, so even higher than the normal $18 from the past...and its for 2 years
So to recap: You have Home Phone Lite (no features), and have no other Bell services. Bell is giving you $22.99/off per month, for 24 months? Question is, is this promotion available in Quebec, or just Ontario?

Other question is if I switch from an Access Line, which seems to have the advantage of no price increases or expiration, can I move back again?
Mar 31, 2008
80 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:

Thank you for elaborating, I called back and was very firm with my cancellation notice. I bluffed said rogers is offering home phone in the $20 price point and was expecting something similar from bell. Agent came back right way with the $18 off my homephone for 1 year. Agent also offered $12.24 off my satellite for 2 years.

Much better than the first rep i had.

thanks so much!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4794 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
Apple IIGS wrote:
Sep 1st, 2015 2:40 pm
So to recap: You have Home Phone Lite (no features), and have no other Bell services. Bell is giving you $22.99/off per month, for 24 months? Question is, is this promotion available in Quebec, or just Ontario?

Other question is if I switch from an Access Line, which seems to have the advantage of no price increases or expiration, can I move back again?
no to clarify i have home phone choice (i thought it was 5 features but that may have increased?) for which i got the credit. I also have 2 other bell services.
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
Well, good news, I can confirm the original discount credit is back! It's $18.00 in Ontario, and $15.50 in Quebec.

Unfortunately it's not quite the deal it was two years ago considering all the recent price hikes, with certainly more to come (in fact there was yet another price increase this August!). It's still a worthwhile deal for the moment, so I grabbed it for my mother's Home Phone Basic package and switched myself from an access line back to Home Phone Lite. All told, my landline should cost me $21.21/month after taxes. Well, after 1-2 billing cycles I'm told, as they no longer do pro-rating.

So better than what I've been paying since January this year, but a far cry from the $16.03/month after taxes deal I had several months ago! Plus if there are more price increases I'll likely have to switch back to an access line or just cancel and switch to VoIP like I originally planned.

FYI: I only have Home Phone, no other Bell services. Had to call several times and deal with an annoying agent who kept trying to up sell me on Bell bundles and other products ad nauseum. And even then he wouldn't admit the discount had returned until I really pushed him.