• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2017 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Well I'm set to jump ship in the coming month, but before I do, has anyone (anywhere, anyhow!) managed to somehow get the $15.50/$18.00 discount, or any special offer from Bell to keep their monthly rate reasonable?

When I called in last week to a Toronto call center, they said $5 off for 10 months, then when really pushed, told $10 for 10 months. Unfortunately neither compares to the current cost of an access line or my rebate that's about to expire. Meaning the best "deal" by September is about $30/month with taxes, but there's no value in that.
Jan 23, 2009
415 posts
113 upvotes
is it possible Bell is blackmail us (customer with "residence line") to switch us off the regulated line to the unregulated line?
for the longest time bell always said they are unable to offer any discount on those line because they are regulated and should be offer at the same price for everyone what happen now? we all should be watching our bill to see if bell is changing home phone from residence line to home lite or whatever
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15453 posts
937 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jul 25th, 2016 1:53 pm
If CRTC allows foreign competitors to come in to Canada, I am sure Bell would be long gone. If you have worked in Bell or know someone who has worked in there, you know how many overpaid and redundant positions in there and how good the executives' bonus are. Thus, the overhead is high.
The Harper government allowed limited foreign ownership in wireless.

Wind Mobile was widely speculated to be bought out by a non-Canadian company (most notably T-Mobile) however, there was no interest.

If we want to get some real competition here I'm afraid the only option would be an integrated marketplace with the U.S.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Called Bell Loyalty this evening and was connected to the Philippines. Interestingly this person told me residential service (aka Access Line) is no longer available, once you've been switched off you cannot be moved back. And that existing residential line customers in ALL provinces will see their price raised to $30.00 or more next month.

Asked about a rebate and was offered only $5/off for 10 months, nothing else available. Ridiculous. Called back several times and finally got someone in Vancouver, who this time told me $10/off for 10 months. The agent admitted I could get $12/off indefinitely if I took a bundle, so perhaps there's codes they can apply to do more if pushed? (apparently the $15.50/off was meant only for customers in bundles, so some agents pulled strings).

Bottom line is if right now the best you can get is $10 off for 10 months. I think I'll pass.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7127 posts
336 upvotes
My landline is finally gone as of this morning 8 am.

The loyalty dept didn't know what to offer me as I said I only use it for alarm system which is now converted to GSM ;)

The guy who installed GSM for me said they are doing ton of GSM installation, in facts, they ran out of hardware. I guess that's the trend as the group who is using landline is getting smaller and smaller every day.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13924 posts
3130 upvotes
Wonder if anyone here has dealt with TBaytel up here in Thunder Bay. Between my landline and 20 Mbps Internet I pay almost $100/month. Gotta be something better for the same amount of money...
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Well, this afternoon I spoke directly with Bell's executive office (had to pull some strings to do so!). No good news, but at least I got clarification...

- A residential line is now considered a grandfathered service. Once you're removed, you cannot go back, although there were hints given they could potentially move you back under very rare circumstances. I was told extremely few customers are still on it, and its something Bell is looking to phase out.

- As of September 2016, depending on where you live, the cost of a residential line will increase between $7 and $16. Lowest will be $30.86 and highest $37.82. In other words there will be little to no advantage over Home Phone Lite. In some cases residential will actually be more expensive! The "official" claim for the increase is a pricing error correction, but I don't necessarily buy that. So going forward, there's really no advantage to being on a residential/access line.

- The current discount for Home Phone Lite is $5 off for 10 months. Agents do have an option for $10 off for 10 months, but it is reserved only for customers in bundles. They CAN do it, but its bending the rules, so don't expect to get it (really depends who you speak to). And there are currently no better offers available, this is it.

Basically your choice is take the $10 off and wait for better offers to come along (which may or may not happen), or dump Bell for good. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Sep 24, 2004
118 posts
21 upvotes
Off topic. Has anybody noticed their Bell Aug bill/statement has come in early?
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
chowjam wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 10:57 am
If you look at your June bill, you'll see a notification of this printed on the middle of page 1...

"In order to improve your billing experience, we will soon better align your bill dates. As a result, within the next three months your bill payment due date will change by shifting a few days earlier. For any question please contact 1-866-310-2355."

Oh, and speaking of notifications, if you had a $3 Home Phone Bundle Discount on your billing, there was a notification from Bell that it is being discontinued as of August 1, 2016 (bad enough they reduced this discount in recent years, now it is gone completely!). Seems Bell is going all out on discouraging people from using POTS.
Sep 24, 2004
118 posts
21 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 2:28 am
chowjam wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 10:57 am
If you look at your June bill, you'll see a notification of this printed on the middle of page 1...

"In order to improve your billing experience, we will soon better align your bill dates. As a result, within the next three months your bill payment due date will change by shifting a few days earlier. For any question please contact 1-866-310-2355."

Oh, and speaking of notifications, if you had a $3 Home Phone Bundle Discount on your billing, there was a notification from Bell that it is being discontinued as of August 1, 2016 (bad enough they reduced this discount in recent years, now it is gone completely!). Seems Bell is going all out on discouraging people from using POTS.
Thank you for the information. I called billing and they said I still have 30 days to pay the bill from the billing date and not the due date on the bill (which shows about 3 weeks), and no interest penalty will incur,
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3523 posts
772 upvotes
London ON
Apple IIGS wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 1:21 am

Then around a year later I started having trouble where Bell techs would "accidentally" disconnect my third party Internet service, followed by "accidentally" disconnecting my POTS landline telephone service too. Didn't just happen once, but I counted *7* re-occurrences in a two year period! Seriously, no joke. I got in touch with the executive office at some point where they finally admitted it was a data base error, and apparently, incompetent and poorly trained field techs. Needlessly to say, it shattered my confidence in Bell providing a dependable service for phone or 911. And this is just my own story, I won't even get into the horrors I've dealt with for friends and family members having problems with the service or phone reps at Bell.
My mom's neighbours are having this issue once they switched to dry loop DSL + voip. They come over once every few months asking if the phone is working... it usually is and it turns out bell killed their line. They call bell from my line and they get told to go pound sand, contact their ISP. Call their ISP (vmedia) and they open a support ticket with Bell, takes 2-5 days to get resolved each time.

I've had it with bell, but on dry loop can can see them blaming the modem or ISP, not looking forward to the endless CS circlejerks if I finally convince my mom to ditch Bell. She can't deal with BS and isn't technically inclined, feels like Bell is holding her hostage - if you don't pay them their rip off rate and use a third party service provider, you might start having some line "issues"....
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Well, knock on wood, it's been nearly three and half years that I haven't had my (wet loop) third party DSL or landline disconnected by Bell in error. I've been tempted to switch over to cable to completely rid myself of any connection to Bell whatsoever, but the cost for cable is just too high in my area. Unfortunately sticking with DSL means Bell is still in control over the infrastructure and I have to pay that ridiculous $5/month + tax fee to them for having a dry-loop. Still better than $40+ for a landline mind you.

My biggest concern with switching to VoIP is having Bell techs install a dry-loop. Instead of just leaving my DSL as-is, they have to do a physical remove order and then plug me back in, even if nothing changes! I'm also worried about porting my number that I've had for over 16 years, I don't want any mistakes made and lose it. Nevertheless, I'm going to hold my breath and get this done and over with. I'm just working on getting an ATA box for my phone and then I'm dumping Bell ASAP. That is...unless they suddenly announce the return of the $15.50/$18.00 rebate by September. Not bloody likely.

I'll post here when I've switched over from POTS to VoIP and report how it went.
Jun 3, 2008
32 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 2:12 am

I'll post here when I've switched over from POTS to VoIP and report how it went.
Do you have any update?

Does any one know if they are still offering the $18 discount on a land line.
Jun 16, 2004
110 posts
9 upvotes
Irwinroad wrote:
Oct 13th, 2016 1:07 pm
Apple IIGS wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 2:12 am

Do you have any update?

Does any one know if they are still offering the $18 discount on a land line.
I was unable to get any discount over the $5 as discussed above.
I'm going to cancel my bell line and change to Rogers.
Sep 11, 2006
251 posts
14 upvotes
ashwanidesi wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 2:00 pm
Apple IIGS wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 2:52 am
Well, I've had to alternate between Bell Home Phone and Bell Residential line to get the least expensive rate, a pain to say the least.

At the moment the most affordable plan happens to be Home Phone, but only because I still have the $15.50 ($18.00 in Ontario) "Home Phone Promo" discount. Unfortunately mine expires in September, and if the same discount isn't available by then, I have to go through the aggravation of trying to switch back to a Residential Line. Oh, it certainly exists and I'm eligible, but try finding a Bell rep who acknowledges it DOES exist and will actually put it through (ditto for most "Home Phone Promo" that are available).
This is what I am afraid off.

I am currently on Bell Residential Line aka Bell Access Line, its expensive at $ 31 + Tax, but atleast all the future price increases are regulated by CRTC. Bell has to go through and apply for any price increases through CRTC for the Residential line since its regulated.

But in asking for a discount if they switch me to the Bell Home Phone, then its the wild wild west. This line is unregulated by CRTC and Bell can increase the price as much as they want with no oversight from the CRTC. They might give a lousy credit or discount on it now, but once it expires they can do whatever they want.

So I would rather keep my Bell Residential line aka Access line and try to get a discount on that, instead of them switching me to the Bell Home Phone crap. One is regulated by CRTC and other is unregulated by CRTC.

Bell Residential Line aka Access line is kind of a CRTC regulated grandfathered line from Bell, almost impossible for new customer's to get it and for old customer's once they lose it, kind of hard to get it back. Bell is desperate to convert these Residential Line aka Access Line to their Bell Home Phone line, so it goes from regulated to unregulated by CRTC.

Just called the CRTC and they said that this is not true. It is only regulated in some areas now. Told me this changed back in 2007.....

I am surprised this is not on the news.