• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2017 9:23 am
Tags:
None
Mar 4, 2006
32 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Just called Bell and was only offered $5 Home Phone Promo, which I declined. Time to look for alternatives to Bell.
Banned
Oct 21, 2016
42 posts
5 upvotes
Inspectah wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 8:09 pm
Just called Bell and was only offered $5 Home Phone Promo, which I declined. Time to look for alternatives to Bell.
Is landline the only service you have with them ? or do you have other stuff like internet, mobile, TV with them ?

I just have a landline with them , nothing else, they won't even offer me the $ 5 Off, which they gave you.
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
I haven't spoken with Bell since September...

Back then I was told new promotions, if any, are introduced at the start of each month (on or after the 1st; best to check then). In early September $5 off for 10 months was the only promotion offered. Apparently the same still holds true for October. Now, $10 off for 10 months IS available if you have a bundle, however their computer billing system CAN apply it to any account, even basic telephone with no other services. Good luck getting it, they will deny it even if you point out this fact. Under rare circumstances you can get it, but usually we're talking about after you've canceled and phoned back by their win-back department (or other higher ups) some days later.

I personally did manage to get the $10 discount back in the summer (even have a confirmation) but due to some glitch in Bell's billing system, it never went through. Oh, I can get it straightened out, but it's too little, too late. I was paying $13.94/month for my Bell line in recent years, now it's $35.00/month with still MORE price increases yet to come. Little good a merger $5 or $10 discount does, particularly when it only lasts a few short months! Had they left the Access Line service as-is, I might've been content enough, but they've eliminated it so there's now no where to go.

Well, after 22 years of dealing with Bell, I've begun the process of ending my phone service. Placed the order to switch to VoIP over the weekend (have the ATA adapter box in hand, was testing it out today!) and by early next November I should be rid of Bell, for good. As I said, I'll post here once the switch is complete and share my thoughts...
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
Well, counting down, I now have exactly one week left before my Bell landline is canceled and disconnected...

So far, oddly, I've yet to receive any calls from Bell's win back department. Perhaps no better deals to offer? At this point there is nothing they could offer to keep me as a customer, except (heh, and fantasizing here!) an access line at $10-$15/month or a year of free service. All I care now, with regards to Bell, is that my phone number is ported over without issue.

Been testing out the VoIP service (I have a temporary number meantime) and comparing it side by side with my Bell landline. It's actually clearer sounding than my Bell phone service, at least if I set the ATA box to use the highest quality sound codec ("G711u" as opposed to the default "G729a"). Pretty much indistinguishable from a regular landline otherwise, except it you try and dial '0', '411' or '611'. The former two don't do anything when dialed, but then what use does the operator have these days (except to inquire about long distance rates?) and who uses 411? Especially when it costs $3.50 + tax per use with Bell, and you can look up listings free through canada411.ca. Apparently 911 also differs, requiring you to verify your name/address when you call, BUT if you can't speak they still automatically dispatch emergency services. My only real concern is power and Internet outages will cause a temporary loss of phone service, but I can always call 911 through one of my deactivated cells if need be.

On the plus side, my phone cost drops to $9.95/month and includes Caller ID and 3 cents per minute long distance calling (to most parts of the world, and no network fees!). I do have to pay an extra $5 + tax on top of that for a dry-loop fee though, but that charge is coming from Bell, and I'd have to pay even if I don't use any type of phone service. Rather a punitive charge for using a third party Internet provider with no Bell services on the copper line.

We'll see how it goes next week...
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1268 posts
505 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
fekuji wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2016 8:58 pm
Inspectah wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 8:09 pm
Is landline the only service you have with them ? or do you have other stuff like internet, mobile, TV with them ?

I just have a landline with them , nothing else, they won't even offer me the $ 5 Off, which they gave you.
Do you know how to get any discount with just the landline?

I have some elderly relatives who have only the land line and nothing else (they've probably been Bell customers since the 1960s), and the price has gotten ridiculous. Used to be cheap 20 years ago.
Sep 11, 2006
251 posts
14 upvotes
Has anyone noticed a lot of static on their access line?

After calling them, I am hearing a lot of static and didn't cancel the service (as of yet).
Feb 10, 2015
16 posts
Madden, AB
I have 3 services with bell (TV, internet and home phone). I'm paying almost $190. My landline is by far the largest cost.
What should I be getting for a landline with 6 smart touch features and unlimited Canada/us calling?
I'm paying almost $70 for home phone and I can get fido home phone for $10.
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
I'm glad to report, after 22 years, 1 month and 3 days, my landline is no more!

Yep, my number successfully ported over to VoIP this morning and I am now free of Bell! Good riddance. VoIP service is so far working flawlessly, and I have far better quality and features than Bell offered. All for $9.95/month versus $35.00/month. Just have to settle up my final bill with Bell (likely to be a pain no doubt) and I'll be done with them for good.

I'll stick around here as I still have at least one family member using a Bell landline (hoping to get them switched over too) but I would highly recommend leaving Bell if at all possible. It's not only the pricing that's at issue, all aspects of this company are a nightmare to deal with, from front line agents on the phone to their field techs they send out for service calls. Even if you do get a respectable discount on your phone, remember it's only temporary and you'll always be under the thumb of Bell's tyranny.
Apr 29, 2012
271 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 6:59 pm
I'm glad to report, after 22 years, 1 month and 3 days, my landline is no more!

Yep, my number successfully ported over to VoIP this morning and I am now free of Bell! Good riddance. VoIP service is so far working flawlessly, and I have far better quality and features than Bell offered. All for $9.95/month versus $35.00/month. Just have to settle up my final bill with Bell (likely to be a pain no doubt) and I'll be done with them for good.

I'll stick around here as I still have at least one family member using a Bell landline (hoping to get them switched over too) but I would highly recommend leaving Bell if at all possible. It's not only the pricing that's at issue, all aspects of this company are a nightmare to deal with, from front line agents on the phone to their field techs they send out for service calls. Even if you do get a respectable discount on your phone, remember it's only temporary and you'll always be under the thumb of Bell's tyranny.
Maybe I missed it but can you mention which company you went with? What ATA box did you get and how long did it take to setup this dry loop.
Thank you
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
rfduser199 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 5:12 pm
Maybe I missed it but can you mention which company you went with? What ATA box did you get and how long did it take to setup this dry loop.
Thank you
I'm now using Teksavvy's 'TekTalk Basic' VoIP service, through an old Linksys SPA2102. Since all ISP's must place the orders through Bell, the entire switch over required a two week wait.

To avoid downtime with my phone and Internet, instead of asking for a dry loop, I ordered a new DSL service on a second line (technically called a 2nd pair; most homes and apartments already have wiring to support two active telephone lines at once). That gave me a day or two of overlap, and a chance to make sure the new Internet connection was solid and stable for VoIP, before cancelling the old one on the wet loop. Worked out fine in the end, except for the part where Bell sent their field tech to do the new install. Took five hours (no joke, 5 hours!) of his futzing around and damaging walls around face plates and jacks because he couldn't figure out where the demarc point was. No issues with the wiring or signals, he was just completely inept and didn't care. He also refused to set my Internet connection to the proper speed because I'm no longer a Bell customer! (Got that corrected through Teksavvy though).

So everything seems to be working great so far, and you'd never be able to tell I don't have a landline. Just works exactly the same (only difference is it's clearer sounding!).

So I canceled my Bell phone 9 days before my next billing cycle, but Bell had already printing my bill. Do they prorate the unused days and issue a refund? Just wondering if I'll get a final bill in the mail to close out my account.

Incidentally, should mention even though my $15.50 promotion ended in mid-September (and even says so on ever recent bill) I continued to receive it two months AFTER it expired! I was tempted to just ride it out indefinitely, but figured the glitch would eventually disappear. My mother's account had the same glitch for the $15.50 promo but it only lasted one extra month. Seen the same thing with bundle discounts getting "stuck" too, but they eventually find and correct it.
Jun 3, 2008
32 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 8:06 pm
No issues with the wiring or signals, he was just completely inept and didn't care. He also refused to set my Internet connection to the proper speed because I'm no longer a Bell customer! (Got that corrected through Teksavvy though).
I am scheduled for later in the month to do the same thing. I have already hooked up my Tek Saavy modem and have the same speed as the Bell modem.

The line card is obviously installed on the line so technically the tech does not have to do anything. If a tech never arrived at my house and everything keeps working do I really care.

Any advice on when the tech arrives?
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
A word of caution if you're cancelling your Bell landline. Outrageously, Bell will charge you for a FULL month of service even if you cancel on the very first day of your next billing cycle (i.e. only 1 day of service provided, yet you will still have to pay for other 29 days that were unused!).

In my case I cancelled 9 days before my billing cycle ended. Called in several times, and even their Loyalty department told they will not prorate your billing--you've essentially forfeit that right when cancelling! Even their computer system just closes out the account and excepts you to unjustly pay the overcharged amount. I did manage to get this resolved with several calls (knowing who to speak to and how) and now have a credit on my account. However I will still need to call in next month to request they send the refund by mailed check. I'm sure that will be like pulling teeth knowing Bell, but I won't lose sleep over it, it's under $8. I just want it paid back under principle. Best advice I can give, is make sure to cancel near the end of your current billing cycle to save yourself hassle.

About the Bell tech visit. Generally, whether you're installing on the 2nd pair or doing a wet to dry loop conversion, the tech will need to visit your premise to verify the signal. Also likely they'll need to install a POT splitter. Neither should take long or be intrusive, unless you get a poorly trained tech like I did. Don't worry about your speed, Teksavvy (or whomever your ISP happens to be) can adjust your profile from their end once the install is complete.
Banned
Oct 30, 2016
93 posts
30 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 2:35 pm
A word of caution if you're cancelling your Bell landline. Outrageously, Bell will charge you for a FULL month of service even if you cancel on the very first day of your next billing cycle (i.e. only 1 day of service provided, yet you will still have to pay for other 29 days that were unused!).

In my case I cancelled 9 days before my billing cycle ended. Called in several times, and even their Loyalty department told they will not prorate your billing--you've essentially forfeit that right when cancelling! Even their computer system just closes out the account and excepts you to unjustly pay the overcharged amount. I did manage to get this resolved with several calls (knowing who to speak to and how) and now have a credit on my account. However I will still need to call in next month to request they send the refund by mailed check. I'm sure that will be like pulling teeth knowing Bell, but I won't lose sleep over it, it's under $8. I just want it paid back under principle. Best advice I can give, is make sure to cancel near the end of your current billing cycle to save yourself hassle.

About the Bell tech visit. Generally, whether you're installing on the 2nd pair or doing a wet to dry loop conversion, the tech will need to visit your premise to verify the signal. Also likely they'll need to install a POT splitter. Neither should take long or be intrusive, unless you get a poorly trained tech like I did. Don't worry about your speed, Teksavvy (or whomever your ISP happens to be) can adjust your profile from their end once the install is complete.
Complain to CRTC if they don't refund the prorated bill.

Bell, Rogers and even Telus were doing that to their mobile customer's and were billing them for 30 days, when they ported their number. When lot of people complained to CRTC, they stopped it or refunded the money :)
Jan 18, 2010
128 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
Rogered wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 6:06 pm
Complain to CRTC if they don't refund the prorated bill.

Bell, Rogers and even Telus were doing that to their mobile customer's and were billing them for 30 days, when they ported their number. When lot of people complained to CRTC, they stopped it or refunded the money :)
CRTC won't do anything, you have to file your complaint with the CCTS (http://ccts-cprst.ca).
Banned
Oct 30, 2016
93 posts
30 upvotes
I want a landline, not VOIP. Teksavvy landline is much cheaper than Bell, if you want Call Display.

But Bell won't allow TekSavvy to take their landline customer's in the areas which they serve !

You can go to TekSavvy VOIP line, but not POTS land line.

Teksavvy can only take Rogers landline customer's for TekSavvy landline, but not Bell's. Bell has forced them to sign an agreement saying that.
Very anti-compatitive from Bell :(