• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 10:45 am
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
From what I was told, if at any point you've been a Bell telephone customer (past or present), Teksavvy cannot re-sell you Bell's POT service. They have a lookup tool you can try for service availability though, if you want to try your luck...

https://secure.teksavvy.com/tools/en/res-homephoneb.asp

Pricing, if you can get service, is about $10/month cheaper than Bell. Though where you really save are phone features, priced at $3/ea (versus $10-$15/ea with Bell). Even with those savings though, I still find it too pricey for my tastes. Though if you absolutely must have a landline, it would be the way to go. Problem is it's not available to most people which makes it rather moot!
Jun 3, 2008
32 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 2:35 pm
A word of caution if you're cancelling your Bell landline. Outrageously, Bell will charge you for a FULL month of service even if you cancel on the very first day of your next billing cycle (i.e. only 1 day of service provided, yet you will still have to pay for other 29 days that were unused!).
Where do I have to elevate the cancellation issue to not have to pay the month charge?

I am not going to pay my bill until I am satisfied with the amount owing so I don't have to worry about getting a credit.

Thanks
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Irwinroad wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 9:52 am
Where do I have to elevate the cancellation issue to not have to pay the month charge?

I am not going to pay my bill until I am satisfied with the amount owing so I don't have to worry about getting a credit.
Technically, you should receive a final bill (with an "F" marked next to your account number) that should have the prorated amount calculated and credited to your account. Of course if you don't pay the full/incorrect amount from the previous bill, the system will charge you a late fee. Personally, I rather wait for the final bill and dispute the late fee than trust Bell to send me a check. As is, I was told if your credit is under $10, you won't get a check for your money back unless you specifically call in to request it (checks for amounts over $10 are automatically sent out).

I'm still waiting for my final Bell bill (which is now two days overdue).

If you run into trouble, try speaking with a regular front line billing agent. Failing that, someone in Loyalty or their credit department may be able to help you more.
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
So my final Bell bill was processed today. Interestingly (or not surprisingly?) it did NOT prorate my unused days of service. I called in and this time was officially told the system will never prorate your billing, regardless of circumstance, once you cancel your services. So whether they owe you 2 cents or $2,000, they'll just close your account and keep your money.

What you MUST do is call in to have an agent manually calculate and prorate your bill. After that is done you have to wait until your final bill is processed, again marked with an "F" after the account number, and phone in a second time to have an agent process and mail out a check. Of course you can avoid all this by simply requesting they prorate your unused days immediately after your phone service is cancelled (that way you only pay what is actually owed, and your final bill will have a zero balance).

Incidentally, on terms of issuing refunds, this was printed under the 'amount due' box:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION: For final balances >= $10 and < $500, a
refund cheque is sent automatically. Please call 310-Bell to
request a cheque for credit balances not automatically refunded."
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Guess what...!

As of February 1, 2017, the cost of Bell Home Phone is increasing (yet again!) by $2.45 before tax. Well that settles it, I'm moving my mother off Bell and onto VoIP. I have to say I'm so glad I cancelled my landline when I did, no regrets here!

It'll be interesting to see if they counter this with any better rebates, because as of right now $5/month for 10 months is still all you can get.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14094 posts
3177 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 6:05 pm
Guess what...!

As of February 1, 2017, the cost of Bell Home Phone is increasing (yet again!) by $2.45 before tax. Well that settles it, I'm moving my mother off Bell and onto VoIP. I have to say I'm so glad I cancelled my landline when I did, no regrets here!

It'll be interesting to see if they counter this with any better rebates, because as of right now $5/month for 10 months is still all you can get.
Glad I kept mine. Double power failure yesterday put out everything EXCEPT the land line telephone...
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
DougO wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 11:09 pm
Glad I kept mine. Double power failure yesterday put out everything EXCEPT the land line telephone...
Yep, that's the one benefit to having an old fashioned landline. It's the one thing that I'm still uneasy about (including Internet outages, or potential equipment failures with the modem, router or ATA box). Though it begs the question, is it WORTH close to $45/month (and still climbing!), for a basic telephone line with essentially the same features as in the 1970's? I was content paying $25/month for it, but Bell has taken that pricing off the table....

That said, I may invest in a UPS to power my modem, router and ATA box during power failures. And the cost is about two months worth of service with Bell.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14094 posts
3177 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 11:59 pm
Yep, that's the one benefit to having an old fashioned landline. It's the one thing that I'm still uneasy about (including Internet outages, or potential equipment failures with the modem, router or ATA box). Though it begs the question, is it WORTH close to $45/month (and still climbing!), for a basic telephone line with essentially the same features as in the 1970's? I was content paying $25/month for it, but Bell has taken that pricing off the table....

That said, I may invest in a UPS to power my modem, router and ATA box during power failures. And the cost is about two months worth of service with Bell.
TBaytel it's $28 a month...
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
DougO wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 5:25 pm
TBaytel it's $28 a month...
Well, yes, they do offer POTS for $28.95/month. The catch is service is only available in Thunder Bay! Not exactly a large area.

Incidentally, minor correction: Bell's February increase on phone is actually $2.51 in Ontario and $2.45 in Quebec.
Mar 23, 2006
691 posts
115 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 11:09 pm
With younger people its not as a big of an issue.

With seniors and infants, that is a bigger issue in terms of health and safety.
Sep 27, 2003
8090 posts
1505 upvotes
Newmarket
Just had another $10 per month discount applied to my mom's landline for a year. She has Home Phone Choice.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Feb 18, 2014
31 posts
13 upvotes
Why not cancel Bell/move your service to another provider for a month or two and then call up Teksavvy to get there homephone, you may not be able to use the same number (put the phone in another name in the household) They have been charging 25.08/mth for the longest time.

I'll be leaving Bell soon, I'm up to $55.00/mth with one feature. (call display)
Jan 18, 2010
126 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
bobby621 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 12:00 am
Why not cancel Bell/move your service to another provider for a month or two and then call up Teksavvy to get there homephone, you may not be able to use the same number (put the phone in another name in the household) They have been charging 25.08/mth for the longest time.
I don't believe that will work. The only way to get Teksavvy POTS is moving to a new physical address, or if you've never had a Bell landline at your current residence. Technically you might be able to get around that if you cancel your Bell landline, wait a couple of months, and then sign up under a different name at the same address. Teksavvy bills by credit card though, so it gets tricky if the name on the card doesn't match the name on the account. Especially if you already use them as your ISP and registered under your name.

Just seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially since the cost is still relatively high. If anyone knows of an easy and guaranteed to work loophole though, do share it here.
I'll be leaving Bell soon, I'm up to $55.00/mth with one feature. (call display)
That's all I can recommend at this point. Unless Bell introduces one hell of a monthly rebate by early next year (even the old $15.50/$18.00 rebate, if brought back, won't cut it anymore!) the only sensible thing is to cancel your Bell landline. These increases are only going to continue.
Sep 26, 2007
658 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
Bye bye Bell. Finally switched my parents over to voip with Freephoneline. Their last monthly bill with Bell was $56.95 total with only visual call waiting feature. They were with Bell since 1991.

We already got all money back from the equipment, set-up and porting number over fees just after 2 months. Glad that we will never have to deal with Bell again.
Feb 18, 2014
31 posts
13 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 4:56 pm
I don't believe that will work. The only way to get Teksavvy POTS is moving to a new physical address, or if you've never had a Bell landline at your current residence. Technically you might be able to get around that if you cancel your Bell landline, wait a couple of months, and then sign up under a different name at the same address. Teksavvy bills by credit card though, so it gets tricky if the name on the card doesn't match the name on the account. Especially if you already use them as your ISP and registered under your name.

Just seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially since the cost is still relatively high. If anyone knows of an easy and guaranteed to work loophole though, do share it here.

That's all I can recommend at this point. Unless Bell introduces one hell of a monthly rebate by early next year (even the old $15.50/$18.00 rebate, if brought back, won't cut it anymore!) the only sensible thing is to cancel your Bell landline. These increases are only going to continue.
I remember getting the $18cr, that was fine, when that expired I was offered $5cr, then when that expired, I was offered nothing. I'm sure I can call them up and get $10cr, but why bother.