• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 8:46 am
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2010
124 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
How reliable is Freephoneline compared to others? Can you use your own ATA? (I have an unlocked SPA2102)

Right now I'm using Teksavvy's VoIP service for $9.95/month + tax, which only gives me Caller ID. It seems to work fine so far, but if I could switch to something that has zero cost each month and more features, I'd go for it, so long as it's reliable and stable.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2003
4606 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
I want to switch my pa's line to something else other than Bell since they cancelled his access line, and the bill jumped from $21 to $29, and I heard they will increase another $2 very soon. But he doesn't use internet, so I can't use VOIP. Any other alternatives?
Aug 18, 2008
24 posts
Chatham
Has anyone tried the new wireless home phones - Koodo has one on the Telus backbone for 5$ monthly for 12 months and 20$/mo after that. The hub costs about 50$ one time
Aug 16, 2009
612 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
lyott wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 3:17 pm
Has anyone tried the new wireless home phones - Koodo has one on the Telus backbone for 5$ monthly for 12 months and 20$/mo after that. The hub costs about 50$ one time
My parents cancelled their Bell and signed up with Koodo. No complaints and a lot cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1340 posts
113 upvotes
lyott wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 3:17 pm
I have it. Excellent call quality, glad I ported my line over to it. After the year I'll port it back to a VOIP line.
Jun 3, 2008
32 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 11:59 pm
Yep, that's the one benefit to having an old fashioned landline. It's the one thing that I'm still uneasy about (including Internet outages, or potential equipment failures with the modem, router or ATA box). Though it begs the question, is it WORTH close to $45/month (and still climbing!), for a basic telephone line with essentially the same features as in the 1970's? I was content paying $25/month for it, but Bell has taken that pricing off the table....

That said, I may invest in a UPS to power my modem, router and ATA box during power failures. And the cost is about two months worth of service with Bell.

A lot of people get rid of UPSs when the batteries die so you can find them cheap and either replace the battery or hook up other ones.

My phone number port did not go smooth at all because Bell had the wrong civic address associated with my account. I feel much better now that my dry loop phone number and Tek talk will bring first responders to the right address instead of down the road.

I also hooked up an old corded phone to my dry loop for 911 purposes and hope I never have to use it!!

Thanks for the billing tips I am going to call and request that my bill be pro-rated.
Last edited by Irwinroad on Dec 3rd, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
24 posts
10 upvotes
ricedion wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 9:09 am
I want to switch my pa's line to something else other than Bell since they cancelled his access line, and the bill jumped from $21 to $29, and I heard they will increase another $2 very soon. But he doesn't use internet, so I can't use VOIP. Any other alternatives?
TekSavvy if they are taking Bell customer's in his area.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2003
4606 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
canceled bell phone and internet today after being their customer for 15 years. bundle discount reduced from $10 to $2. prices for both services going up every year. they shitty internet sped is 2-3 mbps (Although advertised for 5 mbp). got fido 60 mbp instead.

loyalty dept found out i already connected with another provider, so no offer to keep me. I asked for prorated refund, she said they don't do that. did not want to argue, i just let it go. although I saw a few post back that someone managed to get the refund after speaking to manager
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2003
4606 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
Babubabu wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 5:04 pm
TekSavvy if they are taking Bell customer's in his area.
even though he wil not have internet, can stil order home phone from TEkSavy?
May 16, 2015
677 posts
121 upvotes
York, ON
ricedion wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 5:15 pm
canceled bell phone and internet today after being their customer for 15 years. bundle discount reduced from $10 to $2. prices for both services going up every year. they shitty internet sped is 2-3 mbps (Although advertised for 5 mbp). got fido 60 mbp instead.

loyalty dept found out i already connected with another provider, so no offer to keep me. I asked for prorated refund, she said they don't do that. did not want to argue, i just let it go. although I saw a few post back that someone managed to get the refund after speaking to manager
Good job forget about ur 15 yrs loyalty they treat new customers better so might as well be a new customers somewhere else. If that doesn't work out U can always go back to bell and be a new customer
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2003
4606 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
bigmac22 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 6:08 pm
Good job forget about ur 15 yrs loyalty they treat new customers better so might as well be a new customers somewhere else. If that doesn't work out U can always go back to bell and be a new customer
that's exactly what I'm thinking. it's a hassle to go back and forth to dif provider, but this is what it is. none of those big players reward their customer's loyalty nowaday. bell is ironically install fibre infrastructure in my area starting yesterday, so I may one day switch back to bell's fibre network
Jan 18, 2010
124 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal
Irwinroad wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 7:59 am
I also hooked up an old corded phone to my dry loop for 911 purposes and hope I never have to use it!!
Be aware, it's possible you may not have 911 available on your dry loop line.

My dry loop actually has a dial tone, but I cannot call 911 (I tried, just get a rapid busy signal). I also cannot call 611, 310-Bell or do a callback test. I've heard varying stories about what you may or may not get on a dry loop line. Worth pointing out any deactivated cell phone, even a decades old flip-phone, will allow you to call 911. Of course you have to be able to speak and give your complete address.
Thanks for the billing tips I am going to call and request that my bill be pro-rated.
Good luck! And disregard any agent that claims they cannot do it, just keep pushing and escalate the call if necessary. I believe they're obligated by law to do it (worse case scenario, you can file a claim with the CCTS).

Incidentally, I just got my refund check in the mail from Bell!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2702 posts
113 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I just came across this thread on google.

Thinking of doing something about my Bell phone service as well - question for Apple IIGS:

What is the speed of your DSL connection?
Mine is only 3GB or a bit more - I wonder if that is fast enough for VoIP as well as internet use.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2003
4606 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 7:53 pm
Incidentally, I just got my refund check in the mail from Bell!
Hi. does Bell always bill us one month in advance for all services? I cancelled my Bell phone and Internet on Dec 5, 2016, but received a bill on Dec 14 for both services. In Jan, home phone charge was reversed (I believe the reversal is done correctly), but there's no reversal done on internet. I spoke to the Bell agent just now, and she claimed Bell charge different services differently. I'm confused, and unsure how to argue with her. Can you provide some insight on my dispute please?
Nov 13, 2005
67 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
ricedion wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 5:11 pm
Hi. does Bell always bill us one month in advance for all services? I cancelled my Bell phone and Internet on Dec 5, 2016, but received a bill on Dec 14 for both services. In Jan, home phone charge was reversed (I believe the reversal is done correctly), but there's no reversal done on internet. I spoke to the Bell agent just now, and she claimed Bell charge different services differently. I'm confused, and unsure how to argue with her. Can you provide some insight on my dispute please?
It was the same for me. They gave a refund for the home phone but not a refund for the internet. I was lucky that I only got a few days left and it was less than $15 so I did not bother to get in touch with them again.
I had been calling them many years for their retention offers until last November. Their offers were getting worse every year and they raised their prices for at least two times a year. I did not bother to call them again for their pathetic offers so I just switched my home phone and internet service to another company. That was the time somebody called me to give me some reasonable offers but I had already paid the other company a whole year's charges in advance.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel