None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7715 posts
2983 upvotes
East York
cigar7 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 8:46 pm
Forget all these monthly plans. Just get a magic jack from best buy and plug into your high speed internet router. It's about CAD$50, then about CAD$15 for a Canadian phone number, good for 1 year.
is that the best one? I have been looking at various different Canadian VoIP options to replace the Bell line
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14974 posts
3543 upvotes
cigar7 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 8:46 pm
Forget all these monthly plans. Just get a magic jack from best buy and plug into your high speed internet router. It's about CAD$50, then about CAD$15 for a Canadian phone number, good for 1 year.
Doesn't work in my area (Thunder Bay). No 807 area code numbers. Heck, even Freephoneline, Wephone etc. now only have numbers in Sault Ste. Marie as the closest city. That is quite the distance away...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7715 posts
2983 upvotes
East York
DougO wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:00 pm
Doesn't work in my area (Thunder Bay). No 807 area code numbers. Heck, even Freephoneline, Wephone etc. now only have numbers in Sault Ste. Marie as the closest city. That is quite the distance away...
found this, on sale for $99 for the next two days:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oom ... u=10509510

free or $10/mo for caller ID + other features, which is not bad. maybe it has your area code?
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14974 posts
3543 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:22 pm
found this, on sale for $99 for the next two days:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oom ... u=10509510

free or $10/mo for caller ID + other features, which is not bad. maybe it has your area code?
Sorry but that link doesn't work. The problem here is Thunder Bay has an independent phone service, so they don't have to give out numbers for outfits like Magic Jack. So, no 807 numbers available...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8768 posts
2798 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:47 pm
is that the best one? I have been looking at various different Canadian VoIP options to replace the Bell line
No. Magicjack is the bottom of the barrel of VoIP services.
Proprietary garbage. They tend to use cheap carrier options, and international call quality can suffer.
MJ doesn't have the greatest reputation either: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_pho ... cjack.html

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/magicjac ... #p20853671
Magicjack or NetTalk - which is best?
Pianoguy wrote:Ford Pinto or Yugo - which is best? ;)
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/small-bu ... #p26717168
Dual Sim phone or VOIP service such as magic jack?
Pianoguy wrote:My personal car or a Ford Pinto?
Probably the biggest VoIP guru on RFD stating MJ is garbage
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.55) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1114 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Considering porting out our landline number to a Fido Home Phone number... how many days in advance would be ideal to do the port? Billing cycle starts on the 4th of every month. I'm thinking if I want to port the number out, I'll do it the third week of September to get the new home phone up and running in October?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4420 posts
241 upvotes
^ It takes 1-5 business days to port landline numbers to those wireless home phone ones (I did one going to Koodo home phone). You don't have to worry about the billing cycle or 30 day thing anymore because Bell stops billing you for that service once it's ported (meaning that it's cancelled) so your bill for the month will only charge you three weeks worth instead of four if you cancel with say a week left. If you already paid the bill in advance then they'd give you a credit I believe. So you can basically get it ported as soon as you want without worrying about billing cycles overlapping.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9133 posts
904 upvotes
diav wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 11:06 am
Considering porting out our landline number to a Fido Home Phone number... how many days in advance would be ideal to do the port? Billing cycle starts on the 4th of every month. I'm thinking if I want to port the number out, I'll do it the third week of September to get the new home phone up and running in October?
Doesn't matter when you cancel since Bell HAS to credit you the difference you already paid for service (usually 1 month in advance they charge you). Also, make sure to call Bell because they won't "return" the money to you they want you to call them and waste everyone's time. Make sure get your money back!
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1114 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 12:14 pm
Doesn't matter when you cancel since Bell HAS to credit you the difference you already paid for service (usually 1 month in advance they charge you). Also, make sure to call Bell because they won't "return" the money to you they want you to call them and waste everyone's time. Make sure get your money back!
Nettles wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 11:17 am
^ It takes 1-5 business days to port landline numbers to those wireless home phone ones (I did one going to Koodo home phone). You don't have to worry about the billing cycle or 30 day thing anymore because Bell stops billing you for that service once it's ported (meaning that it's cancelled) so your bill for the month will only charge you three weeks worth instead of four if you cancel with say a week left. If you already paid the bill in advance then they'd give you a credit I believe. So you can basically get it ported as soon as you want without worrying about billing cycles overlapping.
Thanks for the replies!
Jan 18, 2010
129 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
diav wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 11:06 am
A word of caution, Fido Home Phone is not a landline or VoIP service.

It is a regular cell service. Fido provides you with an adapter box which allows you to plug in your old fashioned landline phones (corded or cordless) and from there onward, works just like a landline. Or does it? Well, no. Not quite. First off as a cellular phone, the voice quality is lesser. Even under optimal conditions, I can always tell when someone is calling me on a cell network. Next if you're not close to a cell tower or there's interference in your area, on top of this it will affect the quality of the call further. And finally, and here's the deal breaker for me, calls to 911 are completely anonymous. You absolutely MUST give your name and address, clearly, to the emergency operator. If you cannot speak, you're in trouble because the call cannot be traced (at least not easily, or with accuracy) and NO police/ambulance will be sent. Doesn't matter that Fido has your information as a subscriber, the 911 call center will not.

For some people the audio quality and 911 issue may not be important, but I would not recommend it if you're elderly or have health issues.

On the plus side it's only ~$13/month + tax and you don't even need be a Fido subscriber to use it (if you have a friend or family member with a Fido cell plan, Fido Home Phone service is transferable) plus it has a battery backup for power outages. Still, that said, I have trouble recommending it. I'd rather stay with a landline or VoIP.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1114 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Apple IIGS wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 4:52 pm
A word of caution, Fido Home Phone is not a landline or VoIP service.

It is a regular cell service. Fido provides you with an adapter box which allows you to plug in your old fashioned landline phones (corded or cordless) and from there onward, works just like a landline. Or does it? Well, no. Not quite. First off as a cellular phone, the voice quality is lesser. Even under optimal conditions, I can always tell when someone is calling me on a cell network. Next if you're not close to a cell tower or there's interference in your area, on top of this it will affect the quality of the call further. And finally, and here's the deal breaker for me, calls to 911 are completely anonymous. You absolutely MUST give your name and address, clearly, to the emergency operator. If you cannot speak, you're in trouble because the call cannot be traced (at least not easily, or with accuracy) and NO police/ambulance will be sent. Doesn't matter that Fido has your information as a subscriber, the 911 call center will not.

For some people the audio quality and 911 issue may not be important, but I would not recommend it if you're elderly or have health issues.

On the plus side it's only ~$13/month + tax and you don't even need be a Fido subscriber to use it (if you have a friend or family member with a Fido cell plan, Fido Home Phone service is transferable) plus it has a battery backup for power outages. Still, that said, I have trouble recommending it. I'd rather stay with a landline or VoIP.
Yeah, I know what the difference is between the Fido Wireless Home Phone service and the landline service.

After speaking with my family, we're just going to stick with the Bell landline for now. I might call in and see if I can ask for any discounts because the cost of maintaining the landline is a bit ridiculous but sometimes having the copper line is better in an emergency situation. VoIP is a bit too complicated for my parents and I do occasionally get internet outages (thank Robbers for that), so it's too unstable for us.
Jan 18, 2010
129 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
diav wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 6:24 pm
Yeah, I know what the difference is between the Fido Wireless Home Phone service and the landline service.

After speaking with my family, we're just going to stick with the Bell landline for now. I might call in and see if I can ask for any discounts because the cost of maintaining the landline is a bit ridiculous but sometimes having the copper line is better in an emergency situation. VoIP is a bit too complicated for my parents and I do occasionally get internet outages (thank Robbers for that), so it's too unstable for us.
Yep, having the same issue trying to talk my mother into dropping her Bell landline and switch over to VoIP. It's costing her $43/month (and often far higher if she makes any long distance calls!) but she has concerns about the reliability of VoIP. She doesn't like the idea of 911 not being available if there's Internet or power outages, and beyond that, got it into her mind 911 on VoIP isn't as dependable as a landline. :rolleyes:

It's been almost a year since I made the switch from a Bell landline to VoIP. Mostly satisfied, apart from an annoying glitch where any high frequency sounds causes a random touch-tone "beep" during calls. Still think it's an issue with my ISP rather than VoIP technology or my hardware though. Internet outages are rare with Teksavvy, but I've experienced a handful over the year and it's been stressful when my phone isn't there....even if it's just a couple of minutes. Ditto for power outages since I don't own a UPS backup. It is nice having call display though, and not having to worry about the cost of my phone every 6 months or so (or having anything to do with Bell Canada!). Overall I sometimes even forget I'm on VoIP, it just works reliably most of the time. If it weren't for the pricing though, I probably would've stuck it out with my landline just for peace of mind.

Should mention Bell just increased the cost of their Internet and TV services this month, and for the second time this year. I'm betting a phone increase will be announced shortly. Can't imagine my mother being happy to keep paying these increases, at some point she's going to have to jump to VoIP like it or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2110 posts
513 upvotes
I got rid of Bell about 7 months ago and switched to OOMA. I now pay $4.50 a month for taxes and CRTC fees with free Canadian long distance. Service has been great so far. I ported my home number from Bell to OOMA.
Jan 18, 2010
129 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal
Just a heads up. As of April 1, 2018, Bell is increasing the rate for a telephone landline by $2.00/month ($1.00 in Quebec). The monthly long distance fee and per-minute rate are also increasing as of that date too.

And this certainly won't be the last increase. So glad I canceled my Bell landline.