Cell Phones

Bell Launches Lucky Mobile

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 7:50 am
Tags:

Poll: Will you consider switching to Lucky Mobile?

• Total votes: 112. You have voted on this poll.
You bet!

2%
No way!

31%
If they can offer a better deal than what I have

39%
Only if they offer flagship phones at a discount

2%
Wont touch anything Bell with an ugly stick

21%
Will grab some for the kids/elderly/other relatives

3%
Will consider it to stick it to Robbers for crippling Sugar Mobile

2%
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2281 posts
711 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W

Bell Launches Lucky Mobile

Article on MobileSyrup
The new prepaid-only brand offers plans starting at $20 for talk and text and begins operation December 4th in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.

Parent company BCE currently owns mobile brands Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile, and once operated Solo Mobile. Lucky will be competing within the same market niche as Telus-owned Public Mobile and Rogers-owned Chatr.
Article on The Star
The company says Lucky Mobile will also introduce an app that enables talk and text over Wi-Fi next year.
Anyone think this is gonna be any good?

My guess is Bell's trying to mitigate losing customers to Public and Chatr now that they have no choice but to unlock their phones at no charge. Based on Mobile Syrup's article, there will be zoned rate plans, and it looks like the service will be throttled at 3G speeds.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
43 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26938 posts
6405 upvotes
GTHA
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:27 am
The company says Lucky Mobile will also introduce an app that enables talk and text over Wi-Fi next year.
This is happening due to the new rules...

More mobile competition soon, new rules would let "Wi-Fi-first" mobile providers roam on big telcos' wireless networks
more-mobile-competition-soon-new-rules- ... s-2104747/
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2281 posts
711 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:32 am
This is happening due to the new rules...

More mobile competition soon, new rules would let "Wi-Fi-first" mobile providers roam on big telcos' wireless networks
more-mobile-competition-soon-new-rules- ... s-2104747/
You think we'll see more of this?

My guess is that Bell would allow the voice calls via app to go through unthrottled, thus questionable in terms of net neutrality, unless it's a true ROBELUS 3G roaming agreement (which I doubt) which wouldn't allow unthrottled VOIP.

@tk1000 what are your thoughts?
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4753 posts
1431 upvotes
Canada
Rest of the world moving to 5g already and Canada launching new 3g plans every month
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2281 posts
711 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
hvwozq wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:04 pm
This is basically Chatr on the BELUS network with a taste of (B)hell. Zone BS, and 3G speeds.
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:06 pm
Rest of the world moving to 5g already and Canada launching new 3g plans every month
This is all fairly obvious, as what is stated in the articles linked and quoted in OP.

Most of us here on RFD don't bother with prepaid brands (unless it's for kids, or grandfathered into the Mobilicity>Chatr dump). This is obviously to compete with Chatr & Public since Bell didn't have an active prepaid brand with $100 phones off the rack. Both Bell and Virgin are relatively expensive on prepaid and don't attract many customers for long-term use. Now that all carrier phones are unlocked at no cost via carrier, it's even easier for those who upgrade their phones every 3-4+ years to switch to these prepaid brands. Such users usually care less about data, couldn't care less about what others think about their phone, and often use their phones in wifi zones anyway. Hence Bell can retain them via the Lucky brand.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1173 posts
108 upvotes
Here
Another below mediocre option.
May 7, 2012
349 posts
113 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:58 pm
Another below mediocre option.
+1 such small timid minds out there
Aug 30, 2011
844 posts
113 upvotes
Edmonton
All plans are 3g speeds capped at 3mbps? Instant no for me.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26938 posts
6405 upvotes
GTHA
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:40 am
You think we'll see more of this?

My guess is that Bell would allow the voice calls via app to go through unthrottled, thus questionable in terms of net neutrality, unless it's a true ROBELUS 3G roaming agreement (which I doubt) which wouldn't allow unthrottled VOIP.

@tk1000 what are your thoughts?
Yes, we will see more of this.

Voice calls through Wi-Fi should not be throttled.

In April 2017, the CRTC confirmed that it would uphold the ideals of net neutrality, stating, “No Canadian carrier shall, in relation to the provision of a telecommunications service or the charging of a rate for it, unjustly discriminate or give an undue or unreasonable preference toward any person, including itself, or subject any person to an undue or unreasonable disadvantage.”
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-104.htm
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2079 posts
747 upvotes
London
Why not post this under cell phone discussion section? This doesn't exactly qualify as any sort of deal especially since it isn't released yet.
Dec 31, 2013
682 posts
314 upvotes
condo
Mods, please feel free to merge with the discussion in the cellphone forum... Or wait another 2-3 days to see if Lucky Mobile releases any enticing promotional offers to new users / accounts. I hope this doesnt make Public Mobile consider reducing their offers / prepaid plans even more, coz that would suck for consumers...
Jan 3, 2013
180 posts
59 upvotes
NORTH YORK
if it can beat pm, i will switch to it since bell has better coverage in gta than telus... i sometimes got 3g signal
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1359 posts
814 upvotes
Calgary
This is about as "hot" as Inuvik in February.
In your pants!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

johndoe_t