Cell Phones

Bell Launches Lucky Mobile

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 7:50 am
Tags:

Poll: Will you consider switching to Lucky Mobile?

• Total votes: 112. You have voted on this poll.
You bet!

2%
No way!

31%
If they can offer a better deal than what I have

39%
Only if they offer flagship phones at a discount

2%
Wont touch anything Bell with an ugly stick

21%
Will grab some for the kids/elderly/other relatives

3%
Will consider it to stick it to Robbers for crippling Sugar Mobile

2%
Jan 7, 2017
167 posts
150 upvotes
Hamilton
I guess if you don't have the patience to wait for Public Mobile to have another promotion these would be warm, but I can't believe they didn't launch with anything similar to what most PM already have.
Aug 19, 2016
844 posts
304 upvotes
x2012t wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:05 am
if it can beat pm, i will switch to it since bell has better coverage in gta than telus... i sometimes got 3g signal
You will get 3G speed with Lucky Mobile as well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7594 posts
2512 upvotes
ON
differing wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:08 am
I guess if you don't have the patience to wait for Public Mobile to have another promotion these would be warm, but I can't believe they didn't launch with anything similar to what most PM already have.
Public mobile was awfully quiet during black friday & cyber monday when every other carrier had promos going.
I suspect Telus is just letting it coast until they decide to kill it off. I would not expect any more amazing promos. Probably not even warm ones.
I doubt they'd bother to compete with Bell on this as they're "buddies" network-wise. It's mainly chatr vs public/lucky. They'll let bell compete with rogers in this segment.
Aug 31, 2017
222 posts
53 upvotes
gameon12 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:30 pm
+1 such small timid minds out there
Agreed. How simple minded - and the stupid minister of innovation goes ahead and praises it, oy.

This is going to be another failed experiment like Solo
Aug 8, 2014
448 posts
78 upvotes
Markham, ON
I don't understand why there are more "No Way" responses than "If they can offer a better deal than what I have" responses.
Aug 8, 2014
448 posts
78 upvotes
Markham, ON
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:31 am
Agreed. How simple minded - and the stupid minister of innovation goes ahead and praises it, oy.

This is going to be another failed experiment like Solo
I doubt it.
Chatr and Public are the reason Lucky was established.
As long has the 2 former exist, Lucky will continue to exist with very similar plans.
Apr 10, 2017
198 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if the plans are worth looking at twice.
4GB @ 50/month in zone on throttled 3g speeds does not seem to be worth it.
link to plan in case image link doesnt work

knowing Bell, sooner or later they will get even more greedy and start inventing tiny little "service passes" to charge more money.
Images
  • lucky-mobile-plans.png
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9230 posts
691 upvotes
Mississauga
That's funny how CRTC wants more competition for consumers. When have I heard that before?

How about preventing any blockades from the former US player that was interested in coming to Canada?

Same old monopoly in play.
Oct 17, 2016
325 posts
79 upvotes
I'm not switching from freedom mobile, never gonna happen, I have the best deal called an Everywhere50 plan that has free Canada and USA roaming which includes unlimited data,texting and MMS whether I roam off the big3 or not. I am curious as to how lucky mobile will work though.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere59 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2281 posts
711 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
BrandonA586 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 5:28 pm
I'm not switching from freedom mobile, never gonna happen, I have the best deal called an Everywhere50 plan that has free Canada and USA roaming which includes unlimited data,texting and MMS whether I roam off the big3 or not. I am curious as to how lucky mobile will work though.
It'll be throttled to 3G speeds for data, you'll get the option to do talk & text via app, it'll be entirely prepaid (no possibility of overage charges), with some $100-150 phones available off the rack.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Apr 20, 2011
381 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough
So is the $20 unlimited calling plan only for local calling?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26938 posts
6405 upvotes
GTHA
dainfamous41 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:42 pm
"Unlimited local calls while In-Zone"

Your In-Zone local calling area is based on your location. Visit luckymobile.ca/coverage to see our Zones. You can make unlimited calls to local numbers within your Zone. You can receive unlimited calls and texts from anyone as long as you are In-Zone.

from https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9230 posts
691 upvotes
Mississauga
Their coverage area (yellow for $20) looks pretty decent (especially if you only travel within GTA) since Telus has a fairly good network compared to small players like public/freedom etc. But one would only get this plan if all you do is only make phone calls and nothing else. I suppose this would be good for seniors or anyone who does not text.
Capturse.JPG
Unlimited Local Calling Zone Plan - $20/mo

PLAN INCLUDES:

Unlimited local calls while In-Zone
Also included: Unlimited Incoming Calls & Texts from Canadian, US & International numbers, call display, voicemail, call waiting and 3-way calling.

Set up Automatic Top-Up and get $10/mo for 8 months to spend on extras.

Your In-Zone local calling area is based on your location. Visit luckymobile.ca/coverage to see our Zones. You can make unlimited calls to local numbers within your Zone. You can receive unlimited calls and texts from anyone as long as you are In-Zone.

You will need to purchase a Service Pass for the following scenarios:

To make long distance calls
To send text messages
To call while you are Out-of-Zone

Learn more about Service Passes at luckymobile.ca/servicepasses.

Data is not available on this plan.

dainfamous41 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:42 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4085 posts
1360 upvotes
BC
aqnd wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:24 am
Public mobile was awfully quiet during black friday & cyber monday when every other carrier had promos going.
I suspect Telus is just letting it coast until they decide to kill it off. I would not expect any more amazing promos. Probably not even warm ones.
I doubt they'd bother to compete with Bell on this as they're "buddies" network-wise. It's mainly chatr vs public/lucky. They'll let bell compete with rogers in this segment.
That could happen I suppose. The main guy in charge of Public Mobile just left for a Koodo position, leaving the moderators to take over his role. If they don't offer any promos or have any advertising, the brand will stagnate. However, Bell just came out with Lucky Mobile which would compete with Public, so maybe Telus will keep it around.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2281 posts
711 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
dealseaker101 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:38 pm
That could happen I suppose. The main guy in charge of Public Mobile just left for a Koodo position, leaving the moderators to take over his role. If they don't offer any promos or have any advertising, the brand will stagnate. However, Bell just came out with Lucky Mobile which would compete with Public, so maybe Telus will keep it around.
Since Lucky Mobile is practically a market dump on Robbers and Telus (BC/AB/ON), I would expect Public to start running better promo's in 2018. Public might even match a Lucky deal but throw in LTE speeds. With Lucky, Bell will probably stop doing market dumps via Virgin Mobile out west (although that was probably a one time thing to compete with Public).

No love for the Maritimes though, Bell's not afraid of losing customers on the East coast to Public or Chatr as they're for from Robbers or Telus home provinces and seem to be much less populated.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming