Cell Phones

Bell Launches Lucky Mobile

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 7:50 am
Tags:

Poll: Will you consider switching to Lucky Mobile?

• Total votes: 115. You have voted on this poll.
You bet!

3%
No way!

30%
If they can offer a better deal than what I have

39%
Only if they offer flagship phones at a discount

2%
Wont touch anything Bell with an ugly stick

22%
Will grab some for the kids/elderly/other relatives

3%
Will consider it to stick it to Robbers for crippling Sugar Mobile

2%
Nov 17, 2014
28 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had a look at the website and some of the plans look decent with up to 2GB of added data or save $10 a month up to 8 months.

The zone for Toronto is pretty big and covers a large amount of the GTA based on their map.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
chatr is $20 for unlimited local calling and unlimited incoming texts.

plus credit for auto-payment enrollment.

is lucky better than this?
looks like lucky does not have the incoming texts neither does it offer credits for auto-payment.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7685 posts
1383 upvotes
dainfamous41 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:52 pm
Is this a recommended service for seniors?
Speakout is unbeatable if it's only for emergencies.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
734 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:57 pm
Emergency only, yes SpeakOut is best.

For those who use the basic functionalities of a smartphone, Lucky may offer more than SpeakOut.

I think they offer one clamshell phone. Else it's all smartphones. Lucky Mobile is Bell, so it won't work on 2G/GSM only. Minimum 3G. May not be a big requirement, but it means even seniors will have to use smartphones.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3154 posts
552 upvotes
GTA
dainfamous41 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:52 pm
Is this a recommended service for seniors?
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:57 pm
Depends on the person. If they can manage their minutes and only use the phone in emergencies then yeah, maybe speakout works. I know that when I bought a phone plan for my grandparents, they would sometimes tangent into long conversations with their friends and expecting them to micro manage their cell phones would have been impossible.

Otherwise, I would always recommend something along the lines of an unlimited talk plan of some sort for a senior.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
734 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Dave98 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:16 am
Depends on the person. If they can manage their minutes and only use the phone in emergencies then yeah, maybe speakout works. I know that when I bought a phone plan for my grandparents, they would sometimes tangent into long conversations with their friends and expecting them to micro manage their cell phones would have been impossible.

Otherwise, I would always recommend something along the lines of an unlimited talk plan of some sort for a senior.
I agree. If they want to hold onto antiquated GSM phones, then they'd need whatever is left on Rogers' 2G network, meaning their options would be Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Zoomer.

Seniors within these "zones" should find Lucky to be sufficient.

The other cool thing is, although not officially available to those living in Quebec, some cities in QC are also in-zone (MTL, QC city, Sherbrooke). This is super cool because a lot of Ontarians go to MTL frequently.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Apr 13, 2005
324 posts
21 upvotes
Are there any vendors offering free sim cards?
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Since Bell is rolling out Lucky Mobile, does this mean you get a much better reception compared to other small tier carriers? Now it does look like their plans are very same to Chatr so I don't see any kind of competition here at all. Plus now that all phones are unlocked to from their respectful carriers, what makes this company a better solution compared to others? I mean Chatr also had the promo's where it was giving out free data on auto pay.

I call this BS from B-Hell!
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3078 posts
191 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 3:24 am
Emergency only, yes SpeakOut is best.

For those who use the basic functionalities of a smartphone, Lucky may offer more than SpeakOut.

I think they offer one clamshell phone. Else it's all smartphones. Lucky Mobile is Bell, so it won't work on 2G/GSM only. Minimum 3G. May not be a big requirement, but it means even seniors will have to use smartphones.
Not emergencies but just for very low usage. Not every call is for emergency. Speak out is best.
But as someone pointed out people who forget that its pay per use then chatr is good. Or even public mobile. for $20 per month.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Feb 25, 2008
335 posts
16 upvotes
Their website does not have enough information. They talk about service pass, so why not give some examples of what certain charge might be. They probably dont want to scare people away. Why are they offering the services in 3 provinces however they show more zones (winnipeg for example). When are they going to offer it in other provinces?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
734 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
12th hour wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:41 pm
Their website does not have enough information. They talk about service pass, so why not give some examples of what certain charge might be. They probably dont want to scare people away. Why are they offering the services in 3 provinces however they show more zones (winnipeg for example). When are they going to offer it in other provinces?
They also included three QC cities in-zone, yet won't offer the sim cards in QC.
The idea is that those who already have Lucky Mobile (most will be from BC/AB/ON), when they travel, they won't always be in the away zone. It makes sense to include Winnipeg and Montreal, both are important cities on Bell's map.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1181 posts
111 upvotes
Here
12th hour wrote:
Their website does not have enough information. They talk about service pass, so why not give some examples of what certain charge might be.
They don't want to limit the upside on the extras they can charge the customer.
12th hour wrote:
They probably dont want to scare people away. Why are they offering the services in 3 provinces however they show more zones (winnipeg for example). When are they going to offer it in other provinces?
They don't want to make too big of a splash when then fail. When they do, they can slither out of the room without being noticed.

ps. I'm surprised that long distance calling and roaming is a thing within Canada. What other network are they operating on other than Bell? It's a scam. Why don't Canadians call them out on it?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
734 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:00 am
They don't want to limit the upside on the extras they can charge the customer.

They don't want to make too big of a splash when then fail. When they do, they can slither out of the room without being noticed.

ps. I'm surprised that long distance calling and roaming is a thing within Canada. What other network are they operating on other than Bell? It's a scam. Why don't Canadians call them out on it?
@batcave obviously it'll only ride on Bell's network. It's just as "legit" as Chatr...