SCORE
+3
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket

Bell Mobility - Ask anything

Hey All,
I often read misinformation online when people ask questions so hopefully we can work, as a team on RFD, to ensure correct information is given to those that are interested.

Only rules: Keep on topic with regards to Bell Mobility services. Questions about internal processes / operations do not belong in this thread and at least won't answer them as they are not of concern to the general population. Basically, I personally will only share information (correct information) that a retail customer (does not mean I'm in retail) could find out through a reliable point of purchase. Also, please don't post your dramatic stories with Bell; this is not the thread for that. If you have a specific question, the community would be glad to help, but if you have a long, ongoing issue, creating your own thread will likely be best.

For information related to Small Business plans, please see: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-mob ... n-1114924/
For information related to Unlimited Mobile Browsing (UMB), please see: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-mob ... n-1093922/
For information related to Retentions, please see: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-mob ... ls-844155/
For information related to Thunder Bay, please see: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/virgin-m ... y-1271842/

Also, any information that I may state / post here should be considered my own personal opinion and not the official position of Bell Mobility, even if I make it sounds like as such. It is because of this that I will only discuss stuff available to the general public's knowledge.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Share:
931 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2005
2952 posts
115 upvotes
Mtl
Tks for offering your services. I used to work for Bell's collections dept (as a summer job) Always hated having to cut off someone's line when they couldn't pay :(
Price errors are the only real sales :)
I refused to be gouged by canadian retailers when purchases can be made in the U.S for a LOT less..
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
sparrow_69 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 8:59 pm
Tks for offering your services. I used to work for Bell's collections dept (as a summer job) Always hated having to cut off someone's line when they couldn't pay :(

Were you at a 3rd party call centre or were you working directly for Bell?
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 14, 2008
672 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
What exactly does my feature of "unlimited social media" t do for me. you would think it's fairly obvious but apparently not. My data usage on my phone says I've used Facebook for 20mbs but on the bell site I only used 1mb out of the unlimited pool and the rest comes out of my normal limited data. I've tried the android Facebook app, an external app, the mobile website itself.. Unless I see otherwise it seems like more or less a feature that isn't actually a feature
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
Nucks wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 1:54 am
What exactly does my feature of "unlimited social media" t do for me. you would think it's fairly obvious but apparently not. My data usage on my phone says I've used Facebook for 20mbs but on the bell site I only used 1mb out of the unlimited pool and the rest comes out of my normal limited data. I've tried the android Facebook app, an external app, the mobile website itself.. Unless I see otherwise it seems like more or less a feature that isn't actually a feature

Are you on a BB or PDA plan? Are you on the newest version of this plan? I think for ambiguity sake, they no longer market / advertise this as a feature on the most current versions of the Fab plans (for PDA at least).
RFD Forums Moderator
Jun 15, 2011
37665 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hi,

I have two questions to ask and I am not sure if you have the answer to those or not but here I go:

Basically I have a corporate personal plan with two lines, one for myself and one for a family member. The one for myself has both voice and data (contract renewed via HUP from Aug 2010 to Aug 2013) and the family member's line who only has voice plan but no contract (contract got over in May of last year)

Now here are my questions:

(1) I am planning on getting the SGS III, so if I get it on my line, I know I have to pay the $35 upgrade fee (which I can get it waived), the 3 year term pricing of $159.99 + taxes, but I wanted to know how much will I pay as an "early upgrade fee" if I go with my line/this route? Or does it make sense to dish out the $649.99 + taxes?

(2) If I go with my family member's line, there are two scenarios: i) I know I need to have a min data plan aka $25 for 500MB, so if I add the data plan before I upgrade (considering I'll be billed that on my next bill), can I cancel it immediately after it has been billed to the next bill or before? Even though I added the data plan when not on contract? This is via the HUP for the 3 year. If I cancel after, do I pay any BIG penalties?
Or ii) If I add the data plan on the signing of the 3 year HUP, can I cancel immediately or after a month? If so do I pay any BIG penalties?

Thanks
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
djemzine wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 10:33 am
Hi,

I have two questions to ask and I am not sure if you have the answer to those or not but here I go:

Basically I have a corporate personal plan with two lines, one for myself and one for a family member. The one for myself has both voice and data (contract renewed via HUP from Aug 2010 to Aug 2013) and the family member's line who only has voice plan but no contract (contract got over in May of last year)

Now here are my questions:

(1) I am planning on getting the SGS III, so if I get it on my line, I know I have to pay the $35 upgrade fee (which I can get it waived), the 3 year term pricing of $159.99 + taxes, but I wanted to know how much will I pay as an "early upgrade fee" if I go with my line/this route? Or does it make sense to dish out the $649.99 + taxes?

(2) If I go with my family member's line, there are two scenarios: i) I know I need to have a min data plan aka $25 for 500MB, so if I add the data plan before I upgrade (considering I'll be billed that on my next bill), can I cancel it immediately after it has been billed to the next bill or before? Even though I added the data plan when not on contract? This is via the HUP for the 3 year. If I cancel after, do I pay any BIG penalties?
Or ii) If I add the data plan on the signing of the 3 year HUP, can I cancel immediately or after a month? If so do I pay any BIG penalties?

Thanks

1. You will pay the same as any other consumer performing an early upgrade on their line. Corporate INDV lines do not have special provisions, in most cases, with regards to early upgrade fees as the fees are paid to the date of contract expiration, not upgrade eligibility (e.g, 15 months left on contract, you would pay 15 x $$.

2. Features can be removed on the day of request or on the bill cycle, you must request which you prefer. The data plan must be on the account during the hardware upgrade though. Data cancellation fee is $200 once you remove it after the upgrade.
ii. As I mentioned, you can add the data in store during your upgrade or beforehand (don't see why you would do this beforehand), and then you can cancel it immediately. Many reps may make you wait until 14 days, but I don't think there is an actual policy prohibiting them from doing it right away. $200 ECF.

I would recommend keeping the data plan on your account for two weeks (DOA period) just to ensure there would be on issues performing a DOA exchange or a buyer's remorse to another phone. I can't get into specifics on how the system works, but this is my recommendation.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jun 15, 2011
37665 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WorldIRC wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 11:24 am
1. You will pay the same as any other consumer performing an early upgrade on their line. Corporate INDV lines do not have special provisions, in most cases, with regards to early upgrade fees as the fees are paid to the date of contract expiration, not upgrade eligibility (e.g, 15 months left on contract, you would pay 15 x $$.

2. Features can be removed on the day of request or on the bill cycle, you must request which you prefer. The data plan must be on the account during the hardware upgrade though. Data cancellation fee is $200 once you remove it after the upgrade.
ii. As I mentioned, you can add the data in store during your upgrade or beforehand (don't see why you would do this beforehand), and then you can cancel it immediately. Many reps may make you wait until 14 days, but I don't think there is an actual policy prohibiting them from doing it right away. $200 ECF.

I would recommend keeping the data plan on your account for two weeks (DOA period) just to ensure there would be on issues performing a DOA exchange or a buyer's remorse to another phone. I can't get into specifics on how the system works, but this is my recommendation.

Thanks for the answers. Here is my understanding based on your reply:

1. So basically I am looking at $35 HUP fee, $159.99 3 year pricing PLUS $15 x $35? Correct me if I am wrong here

2. For this one, if I put the data add on before the HUP (before renewing my contract from month to month) or on the day of the HUP (for a 3 year contract renewal), I would pay $200 to cancel correct? IF I wait after 14 Days i.e the DOA or whatever, and I cancel after the 14 days, I don't pay the $200 ECF?

Please inform me if I am correct per question # 2.

Thanks
6 posts
AIRDRIE
I don't suppose Bell is planning on coming out with some more competitive plans, ie Canada-wide calling like Koodo? I would love a fancy phone like Bell carries, but your plans are just not that compatible with me (I don't need much, but I'm not giving up my Canada-wide calling).

Also, and this may not be something you can answer.... Whenever I send a Bell customer a two page text, they only ever receive the second page. The first never, ever arrives. Multi-page texts go through without a problem to everyone else, it's just the Bell customers...
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
djemzine wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 12:10 pm
Thanks for the answers. Here is my understanding based on your reply:

1. So basically I am looking at $35 HUP fee, $159.99 3 year pricing PLUS $15 x $35? Correct me if I am wrong here

2. For this one, if I put the data add on before the HUP (before renewing my contract from month to month) or on the day of the HUP (for a 3 year contract renewal), I would pay $200 to cancel correct? IF I wait after 14 Days i.e the DOA or whatever, and I cancel after the 14 days, I don't pay the $200 ECF?

Please inform me if I am correct per question # 2.

Thanks

1. You will not be eligible for early upgrade if you are only 1 month into your contract. There are several rules that apply for this, and they are often changing based on market conditions.
2. Yes, $200 to cancel the data plan. My recommendation for keeping the option for 14 days was simply to avoid any potential DOA / buyers remorse issues within 14 days from purchase. $200 will apply either way.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
Moobil wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 1:46 pm
I don't suppose Bell is planning on coming out with some more competitive plans, ie Canada-wide calling like Koodo? I would love a fancy phone like Bell carries, but your plans are just not that compatible with me (I don't need much, but I'm not giving up my Canada-wide calling).

Also, and this may not be something you can answer.... Whenever I send a Bell customer a two page text, they only ever receive the second page. The first never, ever arrives. Multi-page texts go through without a problem to everyone else, it's just the Bell customers...

1. No idea - nothing's been announced so I couldn't even discuss if I knew. Different strokes for different folks, there must be a reason you're considering Bell?
2. Hit or miss, and this happens on Telus sometimes as well.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jun 15, 2011
37665 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WorldIRC wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 2:03 pm
1. You will not be eligible for early upgrade if you are only 1 month into your contract. There are several rules that apply for this, and they are often changing based on market conditions.
2. Yes, $200 to cancel the data plan. My recommendation for keeping the option for 14 days was simply to avoid any potential DOA / buyers remorse issues within 14 days from purchase. $200 will apply either way.

Okay gotcha. Ya I already inquired with Bell about the early HUP and they said I qualify but will be paying roughly $250 to $350 I think. Not worth imo. Oh well. I'll have to think about it.

Question, the $200 data cancellation is the fee added to my monthly bill or can I cancel in store and pay the fee?

Thanks for clarifying.
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
djemzine wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 2:32 pm
Okay gotcha. Ya I already inquired with Bell about the early HUP and they said I qualify but will be paying roughly $250 to $350 I think. Not worth imo. Oh well. I'll have to think about it.

Question, the $200 data cancellation is the fee added to my monthly bill or can I cancel in store and pay the fee?

Thanks for clarifying.

Customer service will be removing your data plan, not the store. Stores are there to make money, and transactions like this (adding then removing data to trigger eligibility) are likely against some rule at the store level. However, if a client calls 611 on their own accord to remove the data plan....you get what I'm saying. This fee will be applied on your bill, but it may not appear (The $200) for a cycle or two.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jun 3, 2012
6 posts
AIRDRIE
WorldIRC wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 2:05 pm
1. No idea - nothing's been announced so I couldn't even discuss if I knew. Different strokes for different folks, there must be a reason you're considering Bell?
2. Hit or miss, and this happens on Telus sometimes as well.

1. Just looking at options. Bell seems like it could maybe be okay,the phones are definitely nicer than koodo's....

2. I have only ever had a problem with sending multi page texts to Bell customers. It's a constant thing, not a sometimes thing. It's rather annoying, especially since my BF is with Bell...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
The Bell data cancellation fee is only $200? I thought Bell changed the penalty provisions so that the earlier in your contract you cancel the data, the more you pay to offset the data subsidy shown in the contract. The maximum penalty would be the data subsidy which could be more than $200, or am I wrong?
× < >