• Jan 10th, 2012 7:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 24, 2002
366 posts
20 upvotes

Bell Mobility Cell Phone Upgrade Question

I am finally eligible to have my phone upgraded for free. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the upgrade fee waived. The last time I had my phone upgraded, I think I remembered that I had to call up bell mobility and ask them to waive the fee where they gave me one month's free service equivalent to the amount of the upgrade fee. However, this time I called them, and they said whether or not you get the upgrade fee back depends on the store that sells you the phone?

I would really appreciate anyone that has been through this recently and was able to have their upgrade fee waived to let me know how they went about doing so. If it is at the store level, can you please let me know which Bell World store you went to? I am in Richmond Hill, but can travel within the GTA.

Thanks so much!
6 replies
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
A WORD of WARNING, STAY AWAY from FREE PHONES. you'll regret it later.. pay the extra money and get a half decent phone. after all, u'll be stuck in a 3 year and u do the math, you'll prolly have to buy another phone down the road after the 1 yr warranty runs up on the freebie handset and guess what, since u used up your subsidy discount, they'll charge u full price for teh replacement phone, so think smart, get something middle end..
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1356 posts
144 upvotes
How many more years are you stuck with them if you opt for a free hardware upgrade?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7477 posts
40 upvotes
Richmond Hill
There is no such thing as a free hardware upgrade. There are always fees involved, not to mention the cost of the phone. When you get the hardware upgrade, you have to resign your contract for however many years you want.

I agree with the advice above. Don't get one of the "free" phones. Free phones are always low end, and you will be stuck with that phone until your contract expires, unless you buy a new one. Spend a little extra, get a phone that won't be low end for at least a couple months.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3103 posts
43 upvotes
I always spend a little extra and stick with the Samsung phones from Bell. DO NOT BUY PHONES FOR $0 ... there's always a catch. I pay the extra (you have to pay the full amount up front) and then they give you $150 in billing credits.

Ex: you want a phone for $200. You pay $200 (plus tax) in the store up front. Bell Mobility will give you $150 for the hardware upgrade on the next couple of bills. Therefore, you're only paying $50 (plus tax) for the phone.

Always check your Bell Mobility bills ... they're infamous for screwing ppl over with the billing!
Jan 9, 2012
1 posts
LIVELY
twinstars wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2006 7:48 pm
I am finally eligible to have my phone upgraded for free. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the upgrade fee waived. The last time I had my phone upgraded, I think I remembered that I had to call up bell mobility and ask them to waive the fee where they gave me one month's free service equivalent to the amount of the upgrade fee. However, this time I called them, and they said whether or not you get the upgrade fee back depends on the store that sells you the phone?

I would really appreciate anyone that has been through this recently and was able to have their upgrade fee waived to let me know how they went about doing so. If it is at the store level, can you please let me know which Bell World store you went to? I am in Richmond Hill, but can travel within the GTA.

Thanks so much!
Go to The Source store, they helped me set up my new phone#for free.(Bell) I went to Bell and they wanted to charge me for a new # because I had moved ...
× < >