• Sep 13th, 2010 9:30 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 14, 2007
303 posts
31 upvotes

Bell mobility double renewal of contract

We renewed our contracts for 3 years on July 21st 2010.

However, we all purchased our phones (hardware upgrade) a little later, September 1st 2010.

They just sent us an email saying our contracts were renewed on September 1st, therefore extending our ball and chains for 2 other months.

Can bell do that??? Didn't we already renew our contract?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Did you pay full price for the phones or did you receive a subsidized rate?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
Welcome to the world of the never ending contract!

Rogers does it the same way (assuming subsidized handset)..

Infact, I'm on a contract with a $15 value pack with rogers, just to CHANGE the value pack on the plan now, with a year left on a three year contract will renew me into a new 3 year contract! (not cancel the pack, but just to even change it)
Sep 12, 2010
8 posts
Westcoast
redgrandam wrote:
Sep 11th, 2010 1:15 pm
Welcome to the world of the never ending contract!

Rogers does it the same way (assuming subsidized handset)..

Infact, I'm on a contract with a $15 value pack with rogers, just to CHANGE the value pack on the plan now, with a year left on a three year contract will renew me into a new 3 year contract! (not cancel the pack, but just to even change it)

Red' - it sure seems that way, man.

I've been lucky so far with Bell (May 2004 - present). They haven't messed me around just yet ... careful to always upgrade my handset (subsidized) and use my credit very soon after my contract expires.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7950 posts
1022 upvotes
duttypersian wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 6:31 pm
We renewed our contracts for 3 years on July 21st 2010.

However, we all purchased our phones (hardware upgrade) a little later, September 1st 2010.

They just sent us an email saying our contracts were renewed on September 1st, therefore extending our ball and chains for 2 other months.

Can bell do that??? Didn't we already renew our contract?

Yes, the hardware upgrade constitutes a 3yr contract renewal, you should have done the hardware upgrade at the same time as your July contract renewal.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)