Cell Phones

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2016 10:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

I have recently confirmed that Bell's UMB is available on all smartphones (except BlackBerries). UMB is grandfathered so if you don't already have it, you are out of luck. I personally have it on a Galaxy Gio (upgraded from a HTC Touch), and after many hours speaking with multiple Bell agents (more being on hold and being disconnected, then actual talking), I am confident that it will work on any smartphone. (Note: I am not sure if superphones will work).

Most Bell agents are not aware of this option (maybe my persistence will have changed this). I spoke to about a dozen store reps/CSRs/TSRs and I was able to get only 4 to confirm it and only after they did some digging.

This is a great deal for all the HTC Touch users who signed up 3/4 years ago when UMB was offered and are looking for an upgrade.

I should also note that I am a postpaid customer. Not sure if this deal is true for prepaid.
1287 replies
Mar 10, 2008
861 posts
46 upvotes
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:03 pm
I have recently confirmed that Bell's UMB is available on all smartphones (except BlackBerries). UMB is grandfathered so if you don't already have it, you are out of luck. I personally have it on a Galaxy Gio (upgraded from a HTC Touch), and after many hours speaking with multiple Bell agents (more being on hold and being disconnected, then actual talking), I am confident that it will work on any smartphone. (Note: I am not sure if superphones will work).

Most Bell agents are not aware of this option (maybe my persistence will have changed this). I spoke to about a dozen store reps/CSRs/TSRs and I was able to get only 4 to confirm it and only after they did some digging.

This is a great deal for all the HTC Touch users who signed up 3/4 years ago when UMB was offered and are looking for an upgrade.

I should also note that I am a postpaid customer. Not sure if this deal is true for prepaid.

I somehow really doubt that. I'd be careful, if I were you. You might get a heart attack once your bill comes...
Feb 25, 2007
61 posts
6 upvotes
Let me know if this work out. I have it on an old flip phone my daughter uses. I think its limited to 1X browser days.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10137 posts
1205 upvotes
dgege wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:19 pm
I somehow really doubt that. I'd be careful, if I were you. You might get a heart attack once your bill comes...
+1

I have not heard this. I have a grandfathered UMB plan on Virgin Mobile prepaid and it refuses to work on any smartphone. I doubt Bell itself is different.

Better to just use Speakout UMB with your smartphone for $10 a month like many RFDers do and ditch Bell.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Let me be clear. I am no fool. Thats why I confirmed it with 4 bell employees. Also I have confirmed it on Bell's Self Serve App. All Data Usage shows up as Unlimited Mobile Browser. Check my posts on howardforums if you want more details.
Mar 31, 2008
45 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Did you get a smartphone separately or did they also allow you to upgrade with the UMB?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Ustilago wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:40 pm
Did you get a smartphone separately or did they also allow you to upgrade with the UMB?

I got my phone from a bell store and they set it up. Even the store rep told me it wouldn't work. But I have concluded that misinformation on this issue seems to be the norm at bell.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
2580 posts
508 upvotes
BC
I had 2 different Bell reps(at 2 different times) sign me and my prepaid Samsung Omnia 2 up for UMB with absolute assurances that it would be fine but any browsing I did was automatically billed at dataplan rates. There was nothing they could do about it. After they credited my account back twice I spoke with someone who said even if they wanted to do it it still just wont work.

Bell will tell you ANYTHING. Watch your bills.
Feb 12, 2002
604 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:03 pm

Watch your bill... I was going to update my HTC touch to Android but this is a nice option if indeed it works...
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Feegus wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:48 pm
I had 2 different Bell reps(at 2 different times) sign me and my prepaid Samsung Omnia 2 up for UMB with absolute assurances that it would be fine but any browsing I did was automatically billed at dataplan rates. There was nothing they could do about it. After they credited my account back twice I spoke with someone who said even if they wanted to do it it still just wont work.

Bell will tell you ANYTHING. Watch your bills.

I am watching my usage daily for now. But I got 4 reps to admit and most started by saying it wasn't possible. In the end I had 2 of them make clear statements in their notes of what I was promised. And of course I recorded the whole thing.
Mar 10, 2008
861 posts
46 upvotes
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:28 pm
Let me be clear. I am no fool. Thats why I confirmed it with 4 bell employees. Also I have confirmed it on Bell's Self Serve App. All Data Usage shows up as Unlimited Mobile Browser. Check my posts on howardforums if you want more details.

Nobody is calling you a fool, don'T get us wrong. It's just that we've been burnt be Bell so many times, we tend to get our tinfoil hats whenever something looks too good to be true.

Honestly, if this turns out to be real, I'm all over it, as my sister still has one to go and she's starting to hate her HTC Touch... I might call them up to see then.
Nov 9, 2003
755 posts
44 upvotes
When I first moved from my HTC Touch unlimited mobile browser plan to my new Galaxy S II plan, the unlimited mobile browser stayed on for $10. I noticed that none of my new plan's 1gb of data was being used and that all data consumption was falling under the unlimited mobile browser instead. I considered keeping it, but Bell screwed something else up on my bill so I had to call in, and when I did, the first thing the CSR noticed was the UMB and took it off. I think if I had kept quiet, I'd have unlimited data on a real smartphone for $10.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
I should also mention that one of the agents (the last one) that I got confirmation from was a TSR. TSRs were the hardest to convince since they didn't think it was technically possible (CDMA vs HSPA). But the last one confirmed it to me on Sunday that my phone would work and then called me on Monday to confirm that any smartphone would work. (they needed to get details from someone that doesn't work weekends).

My impression from the TSR was that this is a "normal" feature that is unadvertised (apparently not even internally).
Apr 9, 2006
161 posts
10 upvotes
Would LTE device (and Bell not cap it) work with this plan or better grandfathered PC Mobile unlimited plan?
Best regards,
Sergo.
Jan 16, 2005
491 posts
58 upvotes
I also was told the same thing, that this would not work on smart phones. Plus, i am in a situation where i want to upgrade my phone. Don't I need a dataplan to get a smartphone in the first place..mainly the Iphone 4s or Blackberry?
× < >