Cell Phones

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2016 10:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11204 posts
1422 upvotes
There's at least 3 flavours of Bell UMB and the upgrade rules seem to be different for each one:

$7 and $10/mo UMB for dumbphones (3G and CDMA) and HTC Touch (CDMA)
$15/mo UMB for Palm Pre (CDMA)
$30/mo UMB for windows PDA (CDMA)
$30/mo UMB for BB (CDMA BIS)

It depends which Bell UMB the CSR thought you were talking about.

The $30/mo plans are upgradeable to 3G phones for sure.

edit - BTW, the UMB plans aren't offerred anymore, but some employee purchase plans still have the UMB option embedded. You could still get UMB added today if it's still offered as part of an old employeee purchase plan that is still in effect
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
aphextwin2050 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 6:20 pm
I also was told the same thing, that this would not work on smart phones. Plus, i am in a situation where i want to upgrade my phone. Don't I need a dataplan to get a smartphone in the first place..mainly the Iphone 4s or Blackberry?

I think you only need a dataplan for some phones and the only reason you need it is to get a discount on the phone with 3 year term (ie Galaxy S for $0)
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
l69norm wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 6:21 pm
There's at least 3 flavours of Bell UMB and the upgrade rules seem to be different for each one:

$10/mo UMB for dumbphones (3G and CDMA) and HTC Touch (CDMA)
$15/mo UMB for Palm Pre (CDMA)
$30/mo UMB for windows PDA (CDMA)
$30/mo UMB for BB (CDMA BIS)

It depends which Bell UMB the CSR thought you were talking about.

Good point. I fall under the dumbphone category. Not sure if this applies to the other categories, but it would be sad if it didn't given the prices.
Sep 30, 2006
56 posts
Vancouver
I have the $10 UMB for dumbphones, I've called in and also used the web chat thing. They all tell me the same thing...that I CANNOT use my UMB on any smartphone. Do I just keep calling in till someone knows what I am talking about?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2002
1481 posts
81 upvotes
Scarborough
when I was with Bell earlier this year, I had the $10 UMB for dumb phones and it worked on my HTC Hero.... never billed a cent extra
----------------------------------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2005
4514 posts
153 upvotes
i'd venture a guess this is in the wrong forum
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
mhlwang wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 7:07 pm
I have the $10 UMB for dumbphones, I've called in and also used the web chat thing. They all tell me the same thing...that I CANNOT use my UMB on any smartphone. Do I just keep calling in till someone knows what I am talking about?

Your best bet is to deal with CSRs (TSRs see it as a techinical issue that can't be solved.). Also make sure you ask if they are a TSR or CSR I got misdirected several times. Tell them you are certain it is possible and you want to have them confirm it with their "help desk". If they refuse or are not successful, ask to speak to a manager.

Another way to sort of confirm it is go to a bell store and ask if you can upgrade and not have your plan changed at all (ie keep umb). Don't be concerned about their warnings of data charges, just see if they can do it. If they refuse to, then you have a problem and should try a different rep or store. If they are willing to do it, then you would have to take a leap of faith and just do it.

I was able to get 2 bell employees to admit it before I took the jump. And I got two more after the fact just for peace of mind.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
nitroblu wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 7:15 pm
i'd venture a guess this is in the wrong forum

Why is that? don't believe? or not approriate?

Picture of UMB on smartphone is already posted on howardforms. If it comes down to it I will post audio of a TSR explaining it to me.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1010 posts
1355 upvotes
I have UNLIMITED MOBILE BROWSER aka unlimited data on my IPHONE 4 with BELL. Here's proof:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... one4-1.jpg

Plan includes:
unlimited data
400 minutes
unlimited evenings and weekends (9pm-7am)
unlimited text messages
call display, call waiting, etc
TOTAL=$45/month

With credits, plus taxes and system access fees (I tried a few times of getting rid of SAF fees however Bell wouldn't budge b/c of the credits I already have and unlimited data and this being a grandfathered plan) I pay total $45/month. So yeah, unlimited data or mobile browser is possible on smartphones, including my Iphone 4 :) . I've downloaded and streamed tv shows, pod casts and movies, stream internet radio on a daily basis, ive also connected my iphone to my tv and played downloaded videos before. The most I've used in 1 month is just over 12GB of data.

How did I get this? I use to have a Palm Pre Smartphone and when it broke, I bought a used Iphone 4 off Kijiji and went to the Bell Store. Then one of the employees registered my Iphone 4 to my Palm Pre smartphone plan
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
looks like I got bumped from the hot deals to cell phone discussions. I guess unlimited data is not considered hot.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10137 posts
1205 upvotes
It's not a deal that is currently available and it sounds extremely YMMV. So it definitely doesn't belong in Hot Deals.

Hot Deals is meant for current deals that are currently available to a wide range of people.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 8:10 pm
It's not a deal that is currently available and it sounds extremely YMMV. So it definitely doesn't belong in Hot Deals.

Hot Deals is meant for current deals that are currently available to a wide range of people.

The deal is current, but it only applies to people that have UMB (that is a lot of people). It is YMMV only because Bell makes it look that way. UMB is available on a smartphone to anyone that currently has UMB. That is what I was told by a TSR who checked with his superiors and had a full day to change his mind.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1665 posts
117 upvotes
Paradise
OK, so I got a uber 25 and a fun 15 applied to my dumbphone. fun 15 has CID, message center, UMB, 250 txt/pic/video messages. I also got that fun 15 at half price, so $7.50

im picking up an IPHONE 4 used and I got my sim card cut down to size. How do I pull this off?
$20 silver coins for sale

Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
WalmartMartyr wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 8:49 pm
OK, so I got a uber 25 and a fun 15 applied to my dumbphone. fun 15 has CID, message center, UMB, 250 txt/pic/video messages. I also got that fun 15 at half price, so $7.50

im picking up an IPHONE 4 used and I got my sim card cut down to size. How do I pull this off?

oj777 is probably better suited to answer that. But here is what I know. In my case I bought a phone from a bell store and made sure they didn't change my plan in any way. For me the default settings on the Gio worked. According to the bell TSR it should work on any smartphone. The main concern I would have is the APN used. The default on my Gio is pda.bell.net. If it is different on your phone I would either change it or test it and confirm that that you are not getting billed. Other than that I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1665 posts
117 upvotes
Paradise
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:04 pm
oj777 is probably better suited to answer that. But here is what I know. In my case I bought a phone from a bell store and made sure they didn't change my plan in any way. For me the default settings on the Gio worked. According to the bell TSR it should work on any smartphone. The main concern I would have is the APN used. The default on my Gio is pda.bell.net. If it is different on your phone I would either change it or test it and confirm that that you are not getting billed. Other than that I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Thanks cheap mike, I read down through your posts over on herald. I am sceptacle if this will work but we'll see. Am I gunna have any trouble with the bell store lacky when I hand him an unlocked rogers iphone 4 with my cut down sim card and say to him "here put this on my account, don't ask any questions, don't change anything. Heres your 25 dollars, now get a real job"
$20 silver coins for sale

Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
× < >