Cell Phones

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2016 11:44 am
Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
WalmartMartyr wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:10 pm
Thanks cheap mike, I read down through your posts over on herald. I am sceptacle if this will work but we'll see. Am I gunna have any trouble with the bell store lacky when I hand him an unlocked rogers iphone 4 with my cut down sim card and say to him "here put this on my account, don't ask any questions, don't change anything. Heres your 25 dollars, now get a real job"

Well if it is a rogers iphone, that may change things. I am not familiar with "inter-carrier" phone compatibility. Thats a separate issue.
That aside, you may just want to go in and ask them to transfer your account to a sim chip and tell them you have a phone at home or on order.....

That gives me an idea... if get around to it I will swap the sim chip I have into an unlocked phone and see what happens (I have one that worked on Rogers). I also have a Mobilicity phone I can try. Not sure if I want to pay a few bucks for data if it fails though.....
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1665 posts
117 upvotes
Paradise
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:17 pm
Well if it is a rogers iphone, that may change things. I am not familiar with "inter-carrier" phone compatibility. Thats a separate issue.
That aside, you may just want to go in and ask them to transfer your account to a sim chip and tell them you have a phone at home or on order.....

That gives me an idea... if get around to it I will swap the sim chip I have into an unlocked phone and see what happens (I have one that worked on Rogers). I also have a Mobilicity phone I can try. Not sure if I want to pay a few bucks for data if it fails though.....

AWWW COMMON! your a pioneer!
$20 silver coins for sale

Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1796 posts
144 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
WalmartMartyr wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:22 pm
AWWW COMMON! your a pioneer!

wait hold on. you dont need to go to the bell store at all. you already have the plan, sim and phone. All you need to do is program the right apn so that your phone is accessing the right data network. This is basically the same thing as pc mobile UMB with my galaxy s2.

Put your cut down sim into your iphone 4 and program the apn. After that you should be good to go. no need for the bell store.
Mar 29, 2010
987 posts
1277 upvotes
WalmartMartyr wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 8:49 pm
OK, so I got a uber 25 and a fun 15 applied to my dumbphone. fun 15 has CID, message center, UMB, 250 txt/pic/video messages. I also got that fun 15 at half price, so $7.50

im picking up an IPHONE 4 used and I got my sim card cut down to size. How do I pull this off?

It depends on what kind of phone plan you have. When I talked with one of the Bell store employees, he said that "any smartphone plan (has to include smartphone in plan title) can be transfered to any smartphone". Im my case my plan is: smartphone combo windows/palm 60, with a bunch of credits.

Before I bought my used Iphone I went to the Bell store and talked with the staff on site. I was truthful, told them my palm pre broke, and i'm thinking about buying an Iphone. I asked them if i can put an Iphone 4 on my current palm pre plan, that has UMB, without changing anything, and staff said it won't be a problem. I bought my used Iphone, then went back to the Bell store, bought a Bell Sim Card, signed some papers confirming the change and 5 minutes later I walked out the Bell store with my Iphone working on my palm pre plan :) .

Its really simple if you already have a dumbphone on a "smartphone plan". Also, with my experience, store staff try and help you as much as possible, theres no need to lie, be rude or hide anything from them. Bell CSR's vs Bell store employees are different like night and day lol.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
oj777 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 10:19 pm
It depends on what kind of phone plan you have. When I talked with one of the Bell store employees, he said that "any smartphone plan (has to include smartphone in plan title) can be transfered to any smartphone". Im my case my plan is: smartphone combo windows/palm 60, with a bunch of credits.

Before I bought my used Iphone I went to the Bell store and talked with the staff on site. I was truthful, told them my palm pre broke, and i'm thinking about buying an Iphone. I asked them if i can put an Iphone 4 on my current palm pre plan, that has UMB, without changing anything, and staff said it won't be a problem. I bought my used Iphone, then went back to the Bell store, bought a Bell Sim Card, signed some papers confirming the change and 5 minutes later I walked out the Bell store with my Iphone working on my palm pre plan :) .

Its really simple if you already have a dumbphone on a "smartphone plan". Also, with my experience, store staff try and help you as much as possible, theres no need to lie, be rude or hide anything from them. Bell CSR's vs Bell store employees are different like night and day lol.

Do you remember if they made any changes on the phone it self or was it essentially the activated sim card that got things going?

I have to agree with you they are more helpful but in my case they were for the most part misinformed on this issue (not their fault). I had no problem getting the rep to help me, and I even easied his concern and told him I wouldn't hold him responsible if things went bad.
Mar 29, 2010
987 posts
1277 upvotes
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 10:59 pm
Do you remember if they made any changes on the phone it self or was it essentially the activated sim card that got things going?

I have to agree with you they are more helpful but in my case they were for the most part misinformed on this issue (not their fault). I had no problem getting the rep to help me, and I even easied his concern and told him I wouldn't hold him responsible if things went bad.

It was the activated Sim Card that got things going. I don't think any changes were made to the phone, and I bought my used iPhone unlocked
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10978 posts
1338 upvotes
A few notes:

You do have to be very careful that the Bell person does not accidently drop off the UMB option from the plan while making changes as apparently there is no way to put it back into a plan (for expired versions of UMB)

oj777 has the $15/mo palm pre version of UMB which might have different upgrade rules than the $7/$10 HTC touch UMB version. The trick seems to be getting the existing UMB plan moved from a CDMA device to an eligible 3G device. Once you have the the plan moved onto a SIM, then you can play with other devices to see which will work.

The Samsung Impact is an eligible 3G UMB device for $7/$10 UMB, so you could tell the Bell person that you are moving to it from a CDMA phone, although they might request the Impact's IMEI to validate the swap.

Also, have some way of periodically checking the current data usage/charges so you don't end up with a big surprise at the end of the month.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1665 posts
117 upvotes
Paradise
bargain man wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:43 pm
wait hold on. you dont need to go to the bell store at all. you already have the plan, sim and phone. All you need to do is program the right apn so that your phone is accessing the right data network. This is basically the same thing as pc mobile UMB with my galaxy s2.

Put your cut down sim into your iphone 4 and program the apn. After that you should be good to go. no need for the bell store.

Well, my origianal phone on my contract now was a samsung impact, then i sold that, kept the sim, then lost it, bought an LG prepaid txting phone with no sim needed to put on my account. Then bought an LG quantum Data prepaid phone that came with a bell sim, but I unlocked that phone and put it on my telus accoutn. So i have a virgin bell sim.

Should I take that sim to a bell store without the phone? Can they activate the sim on my account without hardware? And will this then deactivate my current dumb lg txt phone? So many vairables.
$20 silver coins for sale

Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2007
6898 posts
259 upvotes
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 5:03 pm
I have recently confirmed that Bell's UMB is available on all smartphones (except BlackBerries). UMB is grandfathered so if you don't already have it, you are out of luck. I personally have it on a Galaxy Gio (upgraded from a HTC Touch), and after many hours speaking with multiple Bell agents (more being on hold and being disconnected, then actual talking), I am confident that it will work on any smartphone. (Note: I am not sure if superphones will work).

Most Bell agents are not aware of this option (maybe my persistence will have changed this). I spoke to about a dozen store reps/CSRs/TSRs and I was able to get only 4 to confirm it and only after they did some digging.

This is a great deal for all the HTC Touch users who signed up 3/4 years ago when UMB was offered and are looking for an upgrade.

I should also note that I am a postpaid customer. Not sure if this deal is true for prepaid.

I do not think it will work on yours. the HTC touch was on WAP browser, I am unsure about the gio.

I do have some customers that had a touch, and upgraded to iphone and have unlim on the iphone. This was done 3 years back though. I know they have used 300GB in a month before.
NINTENDO - NES SNES N64
SEGA PLAYSTATION ATARI
EVERYTHING ELSE IE VECTREX
Have old Games? Broken or working ! Systems games controllers guides manuals game boxes etc!!~~ I GIVE YOU MONEY ~~EMAIL me :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: Cellplanman@gmail.com
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Can this add-on be added on it's own to a prepaid SIM?
May 24, 2006
343 posts
75 upvotes
Oakville/Burlington
Mendesb wrote:
Oct 18th, 2011 7:41 am
I do not think it will work on yours. the HTC touch was on WAP browser, I am unsure about the gio.

I do have some customers that had a touch, and upgraded to iphone and have unlim on the iphone. This was done 3 years back though. I know they have used 300GB in a month before.
This is not an issue. The HTC Touch did have the option of running full featured third party browsers and there was no problem. I can also confirm, the data transfer was & is on 3G/HDPA.
bargain man wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:43 pm

Pretty much correct. You will need the apn for browsing. I think you will also likely need to update the settings (not sure if this is also called an apn?) for MMS messages. I also went online to MyBELL self help and changed the records to show that an iPhone was on the account. I have consistently used around 200 MB/mo and over 1 GB on two occasions, with no extra charge. I kept my usage low for the first three months, until I was confident I wasn't being billed for separate data use.
CheapMike wrote:
Oct 17th, 2011 9:17 pm

RE: Intercarrier issue: Up to the iPhone 4, (I havent verified the 4S, but believe it is the same) they are all identical technology regardless of carrier. Meaning they all connect using HSDPA and I believe all versions can fall back to GSM if there is no HSDPA. So if you have "network unlocked" the iphone, and are in an area in Canada or the USA that has HSDPA, it will work on any network. If you have no HSDPA, then it needs a GSM connection, which in Canada means Rogers/Fido.

RE: Mobilicity: Won't work. Mobilicity and WIND don't use the HSDPA protocol and are on a different frequency band. Last time I checked, Mobilicity only allowed their phones on their network, and those phones were limited to the AMPS protocol, meaning their phones wont be able to communicate with the Bell/Telus/Rogers networks or their subsidiaries.

As others above have said, at least for the $7/$10 UMB, it CAN be used with an iPhone or other device. I don't work for the telco, so I can't comment on whether Bell has any specific policy on allowing it or not. I know when it originally was released, it was supposed to be for non-smartphones with a WAP browser, but in anticipation of getting their butts kicked with the pending release of the iphone to Rogers, Bell officially authorized the use of this UMB on the HTC Touch to try to tie down clients to contracts.
See my Blog for friendly, helpful discussions!

My EBay Feedback (100%)
Mar 31, 2008
45 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
A quick question/clarification. If you have an UMB on a HTC Touch/Impact or whatnot (the $7/10 variant) and want to upgrade to a smartphone, is it possible to buy the phone through bell and renew without dropping UMB to get the subsidy? Or does this method only work if you buy the smartphone unlock through a third party?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
172 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Ustilago wrote:
Oct 18th, 2011 11:35 am
A quick question/clarification. If you have an UMB on a HTC Touch/Impact or whatnot (the $7/10 variant) and want to upgrade to a smartphone, is it possible to buy the phone through bell and renew without dropping UMB to get the subsidy? Or does this method only work if you buy the smartphone unlock through a third party?

Your situation is what I did. Went to a bell store and picked my phone. Store rep warned me about data usage if I didn't change plans. I told him I knew better.

Most important thing is that they don't change your plan in any way.

Note: Some phones require $50 plan (with data?) but this is only to get the phone for cheap on a 3 year contract (eg Galaxy S for $0)
Oct 5, 2008
212 posts
35 upvotes
Ugh and to think I got off my plan last night and signed up for the Galaxy S II with the $30/6GB plan :(
× < >